1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What Remap means for a sedate driver?

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by vijai, Jan 13, 2015.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @vijai

Remember in a remapped car, even a sedate driver turns into an enthusiast;). Also an enthusiast does not necessarily mean driving fast, it means they drive more smartly than the rest and the car helps them do that.:cool::cool:
    Iyu and Mabams1826 like this.
  2. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    Then,I should go for a remap! I usually do not drive my Punto beyond 80-90 just because its noise and vibration at that speed irritates me too much.

I wish to drive it at 120. This is enough. If it is noiseless and vibration free at 120, then my Punto would be a million dollar car.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It is noiseless and vibration free san remap too @magnan and therefore already a million dollar car. ;)
    If there are vibrations and noise at 120kmph so much that it troubles, then the Punto needs a checkup. Infact it goes pretty silent if you ask me. Its the tyres and road (surface) noise that we hear. For that a dampening right from floor to all doors (in 2 layers) will be needed for that extra silence.
    PradeepM likes this.
  4. vijai

vijai Novizio

coimbatore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for the encouraging words ghodlur. All you guys opinions are very exciting :D

Thanks for bringing up this dampening part asimpleson. Even I prefer a very silent cabin. I am already contemplating changing the tyres to reduce the tyre noise (my current Good year is pretty noisy and stands at 32K kms, time to change that too. so my to do list keep growing :eek:.

1) Remap - 25K
    2) Tyre (possibly Yoko or Apollo Accelere ) - 20 - 25K
    3) Door dampening

what is the best dampening available (2 layer/ 3 layer)? I would like to go for the best one coz cabin silence is one of my top most priroity :).
  5. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    My Punto used to be noiseless and vibration free when I bought it. I those days sometimes I could not judge whether engine is running or not. At 75000+ kms, situation is altogether different in spite of all my efforts to maintain it. I use Mobile Delvac 1 and change at around 8-9 K kms. Air Filter is cleaned at every 3000 kms and discarded at 8000 kms. I am the only person who drives it that too with utmost care. Still the bi.... does not behave the way it is treated. Here at Jaipur, I have to guide mechanics what to do/not to do. Everything here is at primary level.

Well. Remap should make it eager to run. Does a remap carry some hidden risks to engine in long run?

In winters like this, my Punto is returning 24 km/l at 90-100 speed. Will such efficiency will continue after remap?
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It should not unless you don't follow instructions of re-mappers. Also technically the data of such remaps and the engine life (longevity) is not there. So really I dont know about it. These can be an answered to some extent by the re-mappers. I have however heard that they go very cautiously with the tinkering so as to not push the limits of the engine. From what I read and hear it is definitely much more thoughtfully done, altering and fine tuning parameters than say a crude race chip method; I mean the Wolfmoto remap. You should ask TFIans who have done it previously. They basically load some more selectable maps for your ECM.

You can always choose the economy map or even the stock map and compare on long stretches what FE you are getting. IMO it should not be affected. However, best to ask Rajiv from Wolfmoto and show him recent pics from ODO of your current FE. But I think you are already getting the best FE there. Is yours a 75 or 90 hp, Punto or Linea?
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Apollo Acceleres are also noisy tyres, either opt for Yokos or Michelins for the less tyre noise.
    The best dampening available is in the HU, increase the music inside the cabin. You cant get a 100% silent cabin.

I for one love to hear the engine noise inside.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @vijai, good dampening is Dampmat Extreme. For best silence, you might need lots of material. In which case you could opt for Dampmat wholesale packs from Audio SymPro. Areas from engine bay could include firewall and bonnet underside, but will difficult to install since already they are insulated to some extent and removing is impractical unless a car overhaul is done. But you could opt for doors and cabin floors, will help for sure.

Also check a cheaper Desi Upaay..
    http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/63255-1990-m-m-cj340-27.html#post2467929
  9. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    I am having Punto 75.
  10. vijai

vijai Novizio

coimbatore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dropped an email to wolf moto and stated below requirements and current driving style ( 1800 - 2300 rpm).

City driving
    Need more lower end torque during city driving
    Need my car to be peppier and eager to move forward especially when the AC is on.
    Need much more linear acceleration and drivability without much gear change.
    High way driving
    At speed more than 100 kmph car engine noise raises and the car feel heavier and not very responsive. Need it breeze through 2000 - 3000 rpm without any strain or noise.

Got an prompt reply back from them later that night saying that there will be not much improvement in the above said range, but city drivability and mid and high range would have improvements, that would defenitly help one for overtakings and risky manoeuvres on higways.

Good news is - Wolf team encourage to drive for atleast a week (trial period) with the remap within which if we are not happy, money would be refunded which is a very welcome gesture by them. Looking forward to meet them when ther visit coimbatore :).