1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What is your way of beating stress

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Dec 24, 2013.

What is your way of beating the stress

1. Spend some time in the silence every day

2. Reconnecting with stillness is an important component of health

0 vote(s)
  3. Pursue your passion

4. Don't buy into the cultural definition of "news"

0 vote(s)
  5. Practice the "Relaxation Response"

6. Treat yourself to a massage or other type of bodywork

0 vote(s)
  7. Let the tears flow

0 vote(s)
  8. Laugh

1. 1: Spend some time in the silence every day
    Take time away from the high-tech world. , we are surrounded by and immersed in information—streaming in via television, e-mail, voice mail, fax machines and pagers. Information overload can become a detriment to your health, knocking you off balance and creating a sort of artificial dependence upon these stimulations. So make time for yourself, and take a break from the info-stream every day.
    2: Reconnecting with stillness is an important component of health wiser-with-age-250x150.jpg
    Let your thoughts float away. Every day, devote a little time to take yourself out of the "busyness" game. First, eliminate all forms of intrusion. Then close your eyes, breathe deeply and let your thoughts float downstream like a log carried by the river. You can practice meditation or relax in a hot bath with aromatherapy. When a thought comes up, just watch it float away.

3: Pursue your passion

Physical movement and pursing a passion are great ways to ease stress. Activities that absorb you completely will slow your brain waves and put you into that "zone" in which internal chatter is stilled. It could be bird-watching, cooking, hiking, biking or riding, painting, writing, sewing, gardening, photography, working with animals. Physical movement is important—it opens the chest, lifts your mood, curbs food cravings and lowers blood pressure. You'll also sleep better at night.
    4: Don't buy into the cultural definition of "news"

Give yourself a break from the news. Andrew Weil, M.D., recommends taking a voluntary "news blackout" on a regular basis—stop reading the newspaper and watching television for one day, a week or longer. A constant supply of "bad news" isn't healthy for our bodies—our cells are designed to take in joy, not disaster!

5: Practice the "Relaxation Response"

Try repeating a word or phrase to help your mind and body relax. Herbert Benson, M.D., Harvard researcher and author of The Relaxation Response and Timeless Healing, says, "Faith quiets the mind like no other form of belief." Here's the technique: Repeat a simple, neutral word such as "one" for several minutes. For even more profound physiological changes, use a word or phrase with meaning to you, such as "Shalom," "Om," or "Hail Mary, full of grace." Then close your eyes, breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, as you say your word or phrase silently as you exhale. When stray thoughts come by, gently release them and continue repeating your phrase. Do this deep breathing exercise for 10 to 15 minutes each day.

6: Treat yourself to a massage or other type of bodywork

Ah, the thought of a massage has you relaxing already. Getting a massage on a regular basis can help to lower your heart rate and blood pressure and promote muscle relaxation and emotional release. According to Stephen Sinatra, M.D., author of Heart Sense for Women, "It's not uncommon for the release of long-held sadness to occur as a result of bodywork."

7: Let the tears flow
    10-newborn-gadgets-4.jpg Crying is cleansing. Crying can be very therapeutic. According to Sinatra, "Crying is one of the most cleansing experiences you can go through." Here's why: Deep sobs open the chest and diaphragm, releasing bound-up energy. This helps to free your heart of muscular tension. A good cry also enhances oxygen delivery to the cells and stimulates release of specific neurochemicals in the brain that promote relaxation.

8: Laugh
    Rent a classic comedy film, or tune in to "Nick at Nite" or the Comedy Channel. Rent a tape of your favorite comedian. Read some of those Internet joke lists that you've been archiving to "read later." Dig out your old "Far Side" cartoon collections. Clip a cartoon and post it on the refrigerator or fax it to a friend, to double the effect.
    You may want to crack up with Loretta LaRoche, humor consultant and self-described "Queen of Stress," who promotes "Exaggeration Therapy" and an interactive "Tadah Club," among many other stress-busting techniques. If you tend toward "the dark side," consider pasting Loretta LaRoche's Ten Little Commitments on your refrigerator door.

Source http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/stress-management/eight-ways-to-beat-stress2.htm

What works for me 1,2,5,and 6,let us know if there is some other way that works for you.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. Linear

Linear Amatore

It's 3 & 6 for me.

A few years back, I used to find that shopping took away a lot of my stress. However, it turned out expensive sometimes, and produced some stress afterwards.

Nowadays I go work out or detail my silver beauty in some way. Takes my mind away from the stressful situation/s.
    2 people like this.
  3. That's nice to know.
  4. C_S

C_S Amatore

Sitcoms, Socialize with Friends(may be with a drink)... thinking about something Nice that has happened .. Also thanking god on how lucky we are compared millions of poor and underpriviliged
    2 people like this.
  5. My wife and Son, my punto and my camera.
    2 people like this.
  6. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Before 6th August 2013.

Nothing much :confused:

After 6th August 2013

Weekend drive with my Italian girlfriend (Exotica Red - Punto) :)

And from above list 3 ( :car ) and 8
    1 person likes this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Stress is a state of mind. For me the best stress relief is problem solving :D. The next best is of course playing with my pets.

4 people like this.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

My way of relaxing through Relaxation response is to listen to good, soft music preferably instrumental like Chaurasiya's flute, Amjad Ali khan's Sarod with closed eyes (soon I fall asleep is a different thing). Whenever I am tensed I watch Jaane Bhi Do Na yaroon or maybe Andaz Apna Apna/Angoor etc. Makes me laugh out the whole stress. Even calling a few friends over or going to them is another way of beating stress. At all other times spending time with family is a great stress buster too.

I feel the ways of beating stress when driving in a maddening traffic is far harder than when not driving. Sometimes I feel I should have similar powers like Bruce Almighty. Smokinnnnnn:ugeek:

Sat - Can you request mods to start a poll on the options you have provided. Lets see the one single stress buster being opted by TFIians.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Added the poll.Requested Mods to make it multichoice.
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

The is wat I do..
    1 tym off with family n friends
    2 my pets
    3 trekking n travelling
    4 keep the workplace as funny as possible with teammates.