1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What is the reason for the noise?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by RaviHegde, Oct 26, 2015.

1. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Punto 1.4 FIRE done 52k kms in 6 years. So far I had a good life with this car and the lure of Evo and Abarth has not made me look at them - so happy I am with this car. I am going for end of 6th year service soon. Need help from experts to diagnose a noise from the engine compartment. When I start the engine in the morning (cold start) I hear a low frequency mild grrr kind of noise, something like a coarse engine noise mixed with the smoother familiar noise of petrol engine. I can hear the noise clearly sitting in driver's seat when all the windows are closed. This noise is not very well audible when I lift the bonnet because normal engine noise masks this noise. It is audible better when I am in driver's seat with the windows rolled up. This noise goes down to almost inaudible level after the engine heats up fully. Also, this noise did not appear all of a sudden, it was a gradual increase over the years. Also, my efforts to record the noise to provide a sample here have failed because my phone microphone does not record it. At the end of 5th year all belts were changed. That did not make any difference to the sound.

Please give me ideas - what may be the reason? Though it is not a major problem now I don't want it to become a major problem after service because I have to drive at least 200 kms one way to the nearest service station and waste 1-2 days for the service if it causes problems later. What are the things I can ask the mechanics to check to diagnose the problem?
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    You can also check the tensioner pulley for noise, generally they spray a lubricant (not sure if WD40) and noise vanishes in 5 secs. Another thing is AC compressor oil change, definitely get that done. We already know how that too can create resistance and affect engine. Apart from that how is the oil levels, is the engine holding those normal levels? I know these are not the best solutions to your described problem, but suggested as I believe in ruling out slightest possibilities while trying to locate weird issues. Helps a lot in long run.
    Try and check the power steering system too. That could also create weird noises.
  3. bibin

bibin Regolare

i had a very similar issue when my car just completed 15k kms in 2013.

if i recollect my memory, it was a leak in the washer where the fuel goes through.

they opened the engine and changed the washer and then the mild noise went away.
    RaviHegde likes this.
  4. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Linea 1.4
    If it is a mild squeak at cold start then IMO it should be the
    • Tensioner pulley
    • Belt
    Sometimes belt do aqueak at cold start then as engine bay heats up the squeaking goes away.
    Same is case with tensioner pulley, over the years the grease dries up and it squeaks at cold start.
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thank you for the suggestions. I will get the tensioner pulley checked (this is one thing I had suspected because it sounds similar to a part rotating without good lubrication). AC compressor oil change was no in my mind (not mentioned in the maintenance manual too) - will get that done. All other fluid levels are as they should be - no issues with them. Power steering has some issue - the dead end noise (when you hit either of the dead ends in the steering rotation) has gone up significantly. Not sure what is the solution for that. I will get that addressed too.

It is not belt squealing sound. It is not a squeaking sound, it is more like a low frequency grinding sound as if something is rotating without good lubrication. Whatever it is - I will have tough time figuring it out unless mechanics at the service station are real good experts in diagnosing such problems. Service scheduled for next week. Keeping fingers crossed.