1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

what is the meaning of an emission test?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by theblack, Sep 5, 2013.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    My existing emission test would expire in the 2nd week of sept so i religiously went to a petrol bunk to get it renewed and that's when i started to have doubts about my understanding of emission and Indian govt's .

So i go to this chap and tell him i want a test done and i start my car up.
    He brings some bulb like thing and attaches to the engine's rail and with another box in hand starts to accelerate the car to 2k RPM.
    He does this for about 5 mins to pick up some 6-7 reading and asks me to shut the engine . I do so promptly and collect the certificate.

The fun starts here.
    Me :: looking at the readings i ask him , boss where are the CO2, NO, N2 levels here all i see are some stupid RPM readings.
    He : "Saar nim gadi emission pass aitu bidi , tension yake?" (sir your car has passed the test why are you worried?)
    Me : So what about actual pollutants, what about an analyser at the exhaust ,where is it man?
    He : Sir that's not needed for diesel cars, we only test it for 2 wheelers
    Me : Next time i will xerox the same with new dates and use it. This is useless.

Now my questions,
    When did the test become one where they check the RPM as opposed to actual pollutants?
    Does this certificate imply that diesel cars are non polluting vehicles.

Wonder why we need a pollution control board at all if this is the way they operate. Bunc of useless guys
  2. For Diesels they check the engine oil for the pollution. Even i did not understand the rational behind it.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    They didn't even check the oil for me. It was just some, vibration checking that was going on.
  4. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    This is the first time, I am hearing such kind of tests. In Hyderabad, at least for all the vehicles that I owned (2 / 4 Wheeler), the pollution test consists of starting the engine and idling it while the guy doing the test will put the analyzer into the exhaust tip and will fiddle with his webcam to make a pic of the number plate.

Usually the time taken for the test is directly proportional to the time taken for the snap in the webcam. Once he is done, he makes a print, puts the same in the plastic cover, along with an oval sticker (never understood the logic behind the numbers on the sticker) and you pay him. Peace of mind for another 6 months. The values are always within the prescribed values. Don't know how genuine are they. But when compared to the RTC buses and Autowalas, our emissions are way lesser.
  5. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Thats right. Not only for 2 wheelers as told by him, this goes same way for 4 wheelers as well. I have been doing it continuously for my Linea petrol for last 2 + years and always saw these pullutants value on the Emission test result. This is something new your have pointed out here. BTW, where did you do this test in Bangalore?
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    RR nagar, B.P bunk opposite to the CMC office.

Its a shame that these things are going on.. I will definitely morph the result from next time onwards ;-)

PS :: can anyone find info on pollution test guidelines? and min/max values of pollutants online?
    I've not been able to get it.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Around here it's a big sham - park car near the guy's webcam, switch off engine, take certificate, bye-bye.
  8. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Sham,
    Does this help?

Emission Standards: India: On-Road Vehicles and Engines

[TABLE="class: data c3"]

Year
    Reference
    CO
    HC
    HC+NOx
    NOx
    PM

[TD="class: hi, colspan: 7"]Diesel[/TD]

-
    17.3-32.6
    2.7-3.7
    -
    -
    -

-
    5.0-9.0
    -
    2.0-4.0
    -
    -

Euro 1
    2.72-6.90
    -
    0.97-1.70
    -
    0.14-0.25

2005†
    Euro 2
    1.0-1.5
    -
    0.7-1.2
    -
    0.08-0.17

2010†
    Euro 3
    -

2010‡
    Euro 4
    -

[TD="class: hi, colspan: 7"]Gasoline[/TD]

-
    14.3-27.1
    2.0-2.9
    -
    -
    -

-
    8.68-12.4
    -
    3.00-4.36
    -
    -

1998*
    -
    4.34-6.20
    -
    1.50-2.18
    -
    -

Euro 1
    2.72-6.90
    -
    0.97-1.70
    -
    -

2005†
    Euro 2
    2.2-5.0
    -
    0.5-0.7
    -
    -

2010†
    Euro 3
    -
    -

2010‡
    Euro 4
    -
    -

[TD="class: tNote, colspan: 7"]* for catalytic converter fitted vehicles
    † earlier introduction in selected regions, see Table 1
    ‡ only in selected regions, see Table 1[/TD]
    [/TABLE]
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    It is indeed a sham. But instead of fitting FFE, as we can get away with it, can we personally take steps to keep our vehicles as less polluting as possible? I we don't, then there isn't much difference between that biker who wears the helmet on his elbow and us, is there? We can either behave like civilized responsible people, or we can play along and pretend to be one. We have the power.

@theblack - pages 12 and 13 of this document. That is valid for BS IV.

Rajan
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The greatest emissions reductions are going to occur when none of us will be using cars for daily commutes. Till then, we can carry on with such shams such as emissions certificates.
    1 person likes this.