1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What is the highest (safe) rpm limit for punto 76bhp/ 1.3mjd ?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by pradeepsangwan, Apr 29, 2013.

1. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am having a habbit of high revv in each gear to achieve the top speed of my punto when i have to drive it for long distances, but i am not sure about the drawbacks of doing so. Can any one explain the max permissible limit of 76 bhp 1.3mjd Punto for each gear.

Below is what i have achieved in terms of top speed as per car's speedometer in each gear till now(rpm not sure but mine goes till 5000 occasionally):

Ist gear : 25 km/hr .
    2nd gear: 45km/hr.
    3rd gear: 115km/hr.
    4th gear: 140km/hr.
    5th gear: 170km/hr(May be the highest achieved by any one on this forum)
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    really ,does this helps in achieving top speed when you reach top gear ?
  3. I have crossed 180 kmph
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Sat means 180, i presume!!.

Revving your engine to the red line will probably get you to top speed a few secs faster that's all.
    It wont help you achieve top speed beyond what the engine can do.
    Unnecessary revving would also fry your engine components sooner than estimated.
  5. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Guys after a point of reving the engine will cut off automatically. I had tried it many times.
  6. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Guys above ratios looks like strangling the neck of an engine, you should have got a green manual please refer to manual for proper gear engage - intervals

Top speed what i have attained till date is 175 kmph
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    5 people like this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1 person likes this.
  9. raj29

raj29 Superiore

As everyone else said revving so much in lower gears is like strangling the engine. It could only help in a little faster acheaving of speeds but not top speed.
    There are multiple people who have done more top speeds than what you have mentioned.
    I never revv my engine to that extent and buildup the speed gradually.
    FYI, i have done a top speed of 185 KMPH without straining the engine much (read high revving)

You can use as much RPM as possible for attaining speeds quicker there is no safe bet for that but it will only put more strain on the enigine and its components.
    Whats the point of high revving frequently unless you are in a race!!
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Firstly, guys , travel safe and drive within the limits of the.car and.more importantly the environment - the road. Speeds such as 180kmph is unfathomable to me, so i hope you guys do these speeds in isolated roads where there is complete visibilty for miles on end and you are the only one on the road. Be safe.

As for the safe rpm limit, it is easy to infer from FIAT specifications. Peak power arrives at 4000rpm. So revving the engine north of that is just not worth it, especially on a diesel engine. The sweet spot of this engine lies in the 2500-3500 rpm band. I rarely go further than 3500.

Cheers.
    12 people like this.