1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What hatch in the 4-6.5 L range

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by MihirC, Oct 25, 2010.

1. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Mihir : I am talking about the new Vista 90 and not the old Vista.

Sorry for not mentioning it earlier.
  2. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @MihirC : Like everyone you too want a perfect car with features merged from different cars, which is absolutely reasonable.
    1st you should prioritize your 4 requirements.
    If a & b is of highest priority Vista is your only choice, early aging is the only problem we have seen with Tata cars. If c is your highest priority then Punto is a choice with a little compromise on the rear space, but its not so cramped as the swift and can seat 3 but definitely not as spacious as Vista. I20 is a contestant but the 1.2 engine is a setback, with the rear space almost similar to Punto. But even on a Vista I will not pack 3 at the rear for a drive lasting more than 4 hrs.
    Micra is more spacious than it appears from outside.
    The Polo(P) looks a good candidate too, but I am a bit concerned about their service. My colleagues Polo is in the service centre for almost a week trying to figure out why the AC cannot be switched on. I have heard about the online diagnostics from VW which looks like is not working as expected. Its not spacious as the Punto or I20.
    Figo Petrol is also something you can give a try, even though it seems VFM at first sight, it fails when a full feature list is written down and compared to Punto, like the Auto climate control and alloys are the most evident misses in a Figo.
    Forget Beat, its not for the expressways, but then 800 too run on expressways at 100km/hr.

I have given you more options now, personally I like Punto, Polo and I20, but if you ask me which car to buy, I am such a biased Fiatian, buy Punto ::T
  3. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    Yeah, thats the reason Im waiting for the new Vista to be launched so that I can reach a very calculated decision. Im not too sure about the tyre size of the Vista though.

Is the Punto as good as the linea at high speeds. How good is it at masking speeds?

Thanks Amogh.
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    If there is any one feature in the Punto you can close your eyes to , it is the highway manners. Absolute delight to say the least. Only a glance at the speedo will reveal the speed. You can literally hunt down the cars ahead of you, such is the bliss of the mjd. HIGHWAY KING, I say. :dancing

Abdul
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have not driven a Linea, but till 150km/hr Punto is stable enough, I have not done above that.
  6. +1 at 140 kmph.
  7. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @MihirC-

Some points to note:

i20
    - Gearshifts are really great. You must have got an exceptional car with bad gearbox.
    - Cooling isn't good. No comments on steering rattles though. AC is definitely a problem to be kept in mind.
    - Interiors are wow! Just great.
    - Seats are not meant for highways. They aren't comfy. They are a bit stiff/hard, the backrest of the front seats is narrower and does not feel good on long drives.
    - Cabin space is good though.
    - No engine guard for the type of ground clearance.
    - Good level of features even on middle variants.

Polo
    - Rear seat is cramped as compared to the competition.
    - VW A.S.S. is not tested. Dealer attitude. Cost of spares?
    - Great design
    - Lack of premium features for a premium hatchback.
    - 3 pot motor.
    - Polo makes more sense if buying lower variants.

Punto
    - It gives a different feeling of safety on the highways.
    - Top end beats a 10-12lac car any given day in terms of features on offer.
    - Seats are DEFINITELY more comfortable than i20
    - Not in a mood of saying more. I can write 10 pages in favour of Punto. I'm biased as well.

General points:
    - You already have a Linea. Consider i20 if you want a change of ride and handling characteristics in your second car but make sure to check out the AC performance.
    - I don't know which car will seat 5 comfortable with front seats fully back. Cars have long seat travel these days.
    - I would give max priority to safety if I drive on highways 4-5 times/year.
    - Do consider Punto MJD if budget permits and if you have Linea 1.4 and intend to buy a Punto. You will love the change.
  8. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    u would know what my answer would be...

the Punto ne time baby... It would give a great run for its money compared to others in its class...
  9. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    Thanks a ton paddle shifter. Well to be honest a part of me is always biased to FIAT but thats not without a reason, best steering , a chassis that supports every single bhp and torque which the engine churns out. But nonetheless I felt the rear of the Polo is much more cramped than the Punto, ever so more with the high transmission tunnel. To be honest I dont like the companies dishing out 3 pots to the customers, thats daylight robbery selling any 3 pot for more than 6 lakhs, but thats just my opinion.

Vista 90 hp would be a worthy competitor but I really hope TATA has made the suspension a bit more taut, and lowered the suspension. That would really help give the Vista a much more planted stance, better high speed cornering abilities and much lesser bodyroll. The engine needs a right chassis to support it.

@Andy- Know what mate,head says its Vista all the way while the Heart says it has to be the Punto...
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well, I would still recommend you to test drive i20 again.

Vista is great too but in case you are ok with i20, definitely it looks better than Vista as an overall package though Vista is sheer VFM. You can get Vista Quadrajet (MJD)at the price of i20 petrol sportz variant. Low maintenance cost, national engine of India, low running cost of fuel etc makes Vista a VFM and sensible package.

You have Linea 1.4 already. Punto 1.4 will offer you the same design, same interiors and features, same ride and handling.
    And Vista 90hp is also the same 1.4 petrol, though differs in other aspects.
    If looking for Punto, do try to change at least the engine and opt for 1.3MJD if possible.

Reason why I'm again talking of i20:
    - Boot space for highway runs.
    - Looks + interiors.
    - Compromise- AC, ride and handling since you are used to Linea.