1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What FIAT needs to do to sell more

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Krunal Bhatt

Krunal Bhatt Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Ahmedabad
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @i_mysterious1
    As per the article Polo scored 4 star. So, I think Punto should be around that only. Better than many of the cars tested.
    But rightly mentioned by you , FCA need to send their vehicles voluntarily for NCAP.
    i_mysterious1 likes this.
  2. i_mysterious1

i_mysterious1 Novizio

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I hope the FCA India guys do some fair bit of campaigning on this issue. We cant be sure whether it will translate into great numbers,but it will definitely lift the brand's Value as a Safe Car Builder!

That,will slowly but steadily draw Safety conscious customers to FIAT who need any help they get.
    Also,given that FIAT is well known as a grwat engine maker,they can start giving people an impression "We make good engines,but we make great cars!"
    If people need to be convinced, FIAT needs a constant programme that builds more confidence in the public.
    You guys may be surprized to know that FIAT is the most popular car brand in India on Facebook.
    If you dont trust me, check the FB home pages of MSIL,Hyundai,Volkswagen or any other Indian manufacturer.It essentially means-People like FIAT in India,but are not ready to invest ina brand that has very poor service network.
    amitshedha, prabhjot and dadasaheb like this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    ....and/or that indian car 'lovers'/enthu-wala-s/etc are, as with all other, more important aspects of life....fearful, fearfilled hypocrites? ;):playful:
  4. i_mysterious1

i_mysterious1 Novizio

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Well we Indians are the biggest hypocrites around mate,what do you say?
    gpunto75 and prabhjot like this.
  5. amitshedha

amitshedha Novizio

Pune
    Why not make airbags standard on Punto and Linea and advertize on safety? I am sure punto is better built than polo in terms of structure so should score 4 or 5 with twin airbags.
  6. SwifttoPunto

SwifttoPunto Novizio

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I doubt highlighting safety will bring any considerable numbers to Fiat. I feel if Fiat can do following (with existing models only), they can achieve some numbers:
    1. Announce product roadmap for India, which models they would be introducing in India and approx timeline. This is important because many people are skeptical about Fiat brands future in India. If they are not ready to assure on future existence customers will certainly not come forward and sales are expected to further decline.
    2. Bring back extended warranty. This also gives customers comfort and confidence.
    3. Extend pick-up drop facility for all customers say within city limits. Many people worried that you have to go and search service centres and also have to spend lot time in driving to and forth as service centres are very limited.
    4. Assure that any spares will reach within 3-4 days and ensure that.
    5. Give basic services/value added services to customers such as washing and cleaning when vehicles is given for service, etc.

Indian customers want peace of mind and convenience. These few simple and smaller things certainly act as confidence builder. But if they continue to say we target only enthusiasts, Fiat brand lovers, etc., then good luck for them.
  7. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    The dealership support is also a great contributing factor. FIAT needs to look after the Dealers too. How many dealers are aware that the Jeep website is live with a homepage in India or will it be sold with a new set up all together. If dealers cannot sell, vehicles will not be sold.
    There are people who still sabotage the FIAT brand with common quotes " Low end service, High Maintenance Costs, Unavailability of spares." Dealers can use this as a positive change now and show them how it is different to what people have to say.
  8. Revv

Revv Amatore

Chinchwad, Pune
    Chinchwadgaon Pune
    Linea 1.4
    Well I wouldn't say people are wrong in saying that Fiat cars are high maintenance. I have first hand experience of high maintenance and spare unavailability issue. And I am from Pune where Fiat actually has manufacturing plant.
    @SwifttoPunto Agreed. I too don't believe strong build and safe cars can be only selling point for Fiat. Peace of mind is what Indians look for, be it mobile phones or cars.
  9. amitshedha

amitshedha Novizio

Pune
    Then how do you explain polo selling 4 times punto with even worst service & costliest in class maintenance? It is becase VW got a reputation of building safe cars, a reputation that they bolstered with getting twin airbags standard & bringing in frequent small refreshes.
    jackharrisw and i_mysterious1 like this.
  10. SwifttoPunto

SwifttoPunto Novizio

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    1. If Fiat has to eat into Polo's sale based on safety as selling point, assuming Punto also gets same safety rating as that of Polo, then there are lot of other parameters that come into picture. As I have seen people feel Polo or Volkswagen is more luxury brand than Punto/Fiat. Going with Tata, introducing models like Punto Pure, Linea classic, etc also made Fiat as less luxury brand. Interior fit and finish is considered much better in Volkswagen than in Fiat.
    2. Many customers who buy Fiat currently, going for it because of safety. Highlighting it more does not change anything. Most of the people are already aware that Fiat cars are strongly built.
    3. Even scandal that Volkswagen faced has not helped Fiat.
    4. Ask anyone who buys Polo and not Punto, he would say, Polo interiors are much better, VW brand has more luxury value, driving comfort is better, etc.
    5. If Fiat want to sell more as they can not change with existing cars on above points, they have to compete offering better value where VW has weakness. That is service and peace of mind. That becomes selling point against Polo.