1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What FIAT needs to do to sell more

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. acechip

acechip Superiore

People may be misinformed, but at the end of the day, one bets on a winnable proposition. The bulk of the potential buying power of Indian car consumers is biased towards 3-4 brands. Thats a hard fact that cannot be ignored. To swim against the tide, Fiat needs to really become the "Apple" of the consumers eye, pun intended ! And Apple they aint, not product wise certainly , and not marketing wise either.
    In order to do so, requires a combination of vision, products, plans and marketing. They may have plans, but I really see them lacking in the other three. Most importantly -vision. What do Fiat want Indian car buyers to think of them as ? That question has never been answered, not even in this esteemed forum. To articulate that, Fiat needs to involve people much higher up than Basavanhalli, ie, Marchionne and team. It so happens, they, are busy righting the problems in USA.
    HareeshCR, dadasaheb and prabhjot like this.
  2. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    in 2015 there is tough fight for Fiat in sedan, CUV/mini SUV and premium hatchback segment from all the major mass market players.

so called new swift is there with 25 kmpl selling 18k a month, elite i20 with 23 kmpl at 10.5k a month, new jazz is coming again it will be with min 25 kmpl and may sell upto 5k a month if Honda prices it good.

4th gen city with 25 kmpl selling 7k a month and Ciaz with 26 kmpl is doing 5k a month, Verna may come to its usual 5k a month with facelift and 23.5 kmpl

Ecosport 22.7 kmpl, duster 20 kmpl, maruti S Cross and hyundai IX25 are coming with bang.

where does Evo, Avvy and Linea stands in the crowd ? FIAT has a really very stiff task ahead to crack prove it self not only better but best from all the crowd in all aspects that is the way ahead.
    Aviral singh likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    More and more 'breakthrough'-to-those-uninterested/indifferent/hostile advertising, multi-channel/plex. Financed at least at the start of the year by keeping discounts to a minimum.

T-jet in the Evo and Avventura, Abarth Punto t-jet, AMT in the Evo and/or Avventura but certainly the Linea mjd. And an ad campaign (can be social-media-centric?) EXCLUSIVELY on this engine and the mjd too.

An 'Absolute' edition with more gizmo-s on all three cars.

Even if the 1.5 mjd will not come in 2015: a re-re-working of the Linea front grill+bumper.

ALL this and: sales might stabilize at 1100-1200. Remember: there is still a (severe) recession underway in the industry for all except, mainly Maruti, but also Hyundai and Honda.

And of course: the launch of Jeep and their initial dealerships.
  4. Samy Alamuri

Samy Alamuri Amatore

Bhimavaram, India
    Should have those buildings which are called service centers(more)
    Arkin and Aviral singh like this.
  5. acechip

acechip Superiore

I call it the "yes, but.." syndrome. However much you try to talk to the regular car users about Fiat cars, they always have this "yes, but" look on their face. Its really something that Fiat has to figure out, how to fill up that "yes, but.." gap in the mind.
    Whatever you do, Fiat, please dont give the 1.5/1.6 MJD to Maruti before putting it inside the Linea/Avventura/Evo. It would be an absolute travesty to have the S-Cross or Ciaz or the Ertiga strutting about in that engine with their waif-like bodyshells, making them light-weight missiles sipping petrol with a strawpipe on the road.
    Ichimaru, jackharrisw and asimpleson like this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip

Au contraire! I am very keen for Fiat to share the 1.5/1.6 mjd with Maruti on the premise that a Maruti buyer is not likely to be a buyer lost-to-Fiat in any case. Besides, the ratio of sales is such that Maruti S using this engine is likely the only way Indian manufacture of this engine can prove viable.

We don't realize it here in India where Fiat's been (seen to) align tightly with Tata BUT: Suzuki and Fiat are old cronies from Europe. AND, mark my words (as they say): a big FiatChrysler deal/tie-up with Suzuki globally is very likely, just as soon as those infernal Germans (VW) get out of Suzuki's hair (arbitration award due early next year).

Tata JV and Maruti engine+amt sales to me are what will ensure that Fiat makes enough money here to actually offer proper, authentic Fiats here in the future, despite the tight limits on their sales prospects in this car baazar. I'd hate to see Fiat do a Renault and offer (badge-engineered) un-Renault/un-European cars here for commercial competitive reasons (Pulse, Scala, Duster).

Especially since am convinced that Fiat, Ford, Renault and VW don't have a chance in hell in any case against the Japs and the Korean if they try to mimic the latter's tin-can-with-lipstick-and-ASS ways.
    acechip likes this.
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

Well, there were also rumors that VW will tie up with Fiat, leading to a godzilla of an automotive company (will be challenged by anti-trust, but) . Not sure how the global tie-up with Suzuki works. Fiat has their hands full in cleaning up Chrysler. They simply dont have the new cars on the US map, and am not sure why Fiat suddenly wants to make a brand impact in a "Fix-It-Again-Tony" country. I think they have not concentrated on emerging markets (other than Lat Am), which VW and even Renault have. But anyway, if it is their chosen path to be a niche car company with enthusiast buyers like in India, so be it ! Let them be happy with 700 per month:stop:. I sure aint thinking Fiat for any future upgrade unless they convince me with a 12-14 lac option with stellar powerplants.
    dadasaheb likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I am not saying niche, I am saying 'authentic' Fiats i.e., Euro-spec in engineering and build, Italian in design, Indian in pricing.

In this market it will only be by pooling resources/cooperating with Tata and Maruti that Fiat will continue to have the financial strength in this market to offer such proper Fiats, rather than fascimiles of Jap/Korean stuff.

They've been doing pretty well in LatAm, North Africa, are no1 in Turkey, do well in Eastern Europe, and are picking up in China via the Viaggio/Ottimo but more importantly the (new) Jeeps. The only emerging market area where they're weak (having made no effort historically) is ASEAN, and sub-saharan Africa. VW is very feeble in emerging markets, except in China, which has long ceased to merely be 'emerging'.

And of course India where their history is weighing too heavily on their present (talking marketplace perceptions here). It is PRECISELY for ASEAN and India that FiatChrysler and Suzuki are interested in tying up in a systematic way. This is much more than a rumour, it has been reported in both the serious Japanese and the serious American business press repeatedly.

NOT a chance of a d1-segment Fiat (the Linea already is that, in all but price, no?). Not in their 5-year plan going out to 2017/18. Though the top-end of the promised-for-2016 b-SUV may be a tempter, with the t-jet and the 1.6 mjd.

D2 (20-25 lakhs) Jeep is certain, Autocar claimed recently that even the smaller Renegade at 14-16 lakhs MAY come eventually (2017? 2018?). These are the cars I'd be very keen on when my new Linea t-jet runs its course. ;-) OR: an Abarth Punto/Avventura, since am increasingly inclined to downsize. ;-)
    jackharrisw and acechip like this.
  9. acechip

acechip Superiore

There isnt much of a potential there too, because the market is all Teutonic, Toyota, and to some extent, Mahindra. So I am not sure how much they will gain by simply bringing in Jeep. Will add around 50-75 units per month, unless they do some extensive customer education. Because those who love their X3s/M-class/Q3/5s will surely not buy Jeep, and the "guntha mantri " brigade (which is equivalent to nouveau-rich rural folk in Marathi-speak:)) simply cannot get enough of the Fortuner.
    dadasaheb likes this.
  10. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    I think apart from sober rich in city the other "guntha mantri" brigade is very important wing to have focus on it.
    for that Jeep have to beat fortuner in every aspect :
    1. macho looks
    2. kmpl
    3. power
    4. ride and handling
    5. After sales support
    6. Features
    7. Interiors
    jackharrisw and prabhjot like this.