1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What FIAT needs to do to sell more

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Great, good and valid points by prabhjot. Indian automotive market is highly immature.
    Hear-say, Herd mentality and family/fiends influence play a major role in car sales than the product itself.

Can anyone in this forum justify or prove that Honda City is an infinitely better product when compared with Linea, Vento, Rapid, Fiesta and Verna. But, what does the sales figure show and prove? The sales figures prove what I have said in the above para.

Nothing to blame the Manufacturer. If one has to blame someone, then it is the market. As specified by prabhjot, Fiat's sales are up 50% YTD from last year.
    If your family members, friends or colleagues are restricting you from buying a FIAT, ask them to explain the valid reasons. I bet, there won't be any other than the crap resale value and other stupid reasons.
    Who are these people(family members, friends or colleagues) to teach you about cars/automobiles when they know nothing about it other than resale value.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    prabhjot and acechip like this.
  2. acechip

acechip Superiore

Sample this conversation between me and my colleagues recently: Him: Oh I love Honda City/ Mobilio. So smooth, refined! You can turn the steering in one hand, ekdum makkhan ! Me: Yes, but the same woolly steering will make it a handful at high speeds on highways. In contrast, a well weighted steering like Linea/Fiesta gives you constant feedback of the road conditions, even though it feels heavier..Silence, while others around us digested this. And then slowly nodded in agreement.
    Although privately, I happen to feel that the Honda steering is still better than lets say, the Vento steering. That one is absolutely mushy.

But, this does not detract potential buyers, gentlemen ! Hondas, of course also have their own inherent strength in terms of a free revving engine and slightly better fuel economy, and generally speaking, niggle free cabin quality.
    In contrast, I have struggled with my fuel filler flap, wiper fluid pipe, and in fact, my entire wiper/washer control stalk was found defective on my day of delivery !! I went straight into the cabin of Pandit Auto's head honcho, and he personally sorted the matter by supervising the replacement on the spot. But had I not noticed it pre-delivery, then ?

It is easy to say that Fiat's sales are 50% up YoY, but on an extremely small base. So that % terms doesnt mean much. Fiat is trying to be a bit more than a 2 horse player, but I really worry for Linea's future. 130-150 pm is not good signs for the manufacturer, or its suppliers, and most importantly, dealers.
    Fiat, while showing some wisdom in raising the GC of the Avventura to 205mm, has also made some dumb mistakes by not increasing the boot capacity after externalizing the spare tyre. They should have really given the Avventura the width of a Linea, and also made it slightly taller inside, maybe by using a variable height roofline aka Scorpio. That would have made it absolutely spot-on as a competitor to the Ecosport and even the Duster perhaps. And, for the umpteenth time, let me add, how about a T-Jet !!
    asimpleson, dadasaheb and prabhjot like this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I am hoping the T-jet WILL come, as will the dualogic AMT on the Avventura and Punto (Abarth). Provided the Avventura sells well and its styling and other USPs register well, widely, in the first 2-5 months of sale, of course. Because otherwise in our market people will just buy the similarly priced diesel over the T-jet! :-( And that is precisely why Fiat is not launching it with the T-jet in the first place, imo.
    dadasaheb likes this.
  4. avithe1

avithe1 Amatore

(Mira Rd) Thane.
    Linea 1.3
    I think today is the 4th or 5th day I see this ad in toi/mumbai mirror.
    Everytime I see it I wonder, when will FIAT advertise the linea the same way. From what I see lineas are selling not even 150 per month

acechip and dadasaheb like this.
  5. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    I think FIAT should do what Maruti did to take on Honda City.
    they have added every bit of city characters in their Ciaz, like space, features, kmpl more than city, + so called Maruti ASS, segment first Projectors on every variant, so called 0 to 100 numbers may be not accurate but created a big Buzz around.
    there should be segment leading features, space, kmpl, power, more by a bit or margin than all the competition.
    come on Fiat makes Ferrari, there should be Diesel engine which will offer 120 + HP and 25 + kmpl, same applies for petrol engine also.

also if FIAT is targeting the major cities in India first then why not giving parking sensors and camera as standard fitments for all cars and all variants like hyundai verna and i20 these are very useful things for city commuter.

+ tune the engines for city drive ability as targeted customer is city based.
    if wolfmoto can do why not fiat for the same engines.

also one missing feature is start stop button against the competition.
  6. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Fiat India needs to spend a lot in marketing in news papers repeatedly not only on features but also on safety how the cars are built having in mind safety and rigidity of shell and not in terms of fuel economy, They should show case their 100 years history and also what all products they have under their portfolio.

Remember the 2010 Talking newspaper by Volkswagen when they launched the Polo and vento. It was a instant success. I am 100% sure that Aam Junta would not have known that Volkswagen is nothing but people's car and not more than that, they perceived it to be a premium brand like Mercedes releasing budget cars. Same way they Fiat india should showcase the same amount of information to gain confidence in the brand rather than on the model such as linea or punto or avventura, that is next level.

Fiat India has invested very very less in marketing. This is not at all enough. posting ads in facebook will not do magic in sales numbers.
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

All this would be happening if Fiat Chrysler top brass have their heart into the India operations. At this point, they are pretty much concentrated on making the FCA merger smooth, dealing with Quality problems in US, a market which is closer to their brand interests.

Those MNC companies which whose top brass is closely monitoring India operations have done well in the mass market segments.
    Case in point- Suzuki, Honda, Hyundai. The market position clearly bears that out. Toyota is largely indifferent, so is Nissan.
    dadasaheb likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    VW and Skoda's heavy duty, exorbitant marketing has gotten them next to nowhere, though. If they make any money at all in India it is thanks to a few exports and, more than anything, thanks only to Audi, and the pooling among these three brands' manufacturing and logistics backend. Ask Skoda's and VW's dealers.

Sales will continue to pickup, as will brand perception. I believe they've handled the marketing of the Evo and the Avventura lauches well enough.

Most people who 'like' you on Facebook will refuse to buy your cars. Neither will most who'll see all the tv and print ads you advocate. Meanwhile you'll, just like VW, just blowup tens of crores of ad spending. Car buyers in India are mostly 'chicken'. Or, if you prefer, 'sheep' who are herded all too easily by the 2-3 East Asian herdsmen (Maruti, HY and Honda).

Car brands take time to (re)build, cars are not appliances, apparel, political parties/neta-s or cellphones. Only more so in a risk-averse, ill-informed car market like India, esp North India.

'Redemption' will come, such as it will be, in 2016-17 with a whole bunch of Fiat- and Jeep-branded launches, most of them 'made-in-Ranjangaon'.
  9. acechip

acechip Superiore

@prabhjot, I would desperately love to agree with your enthusiasm and optimism. But with the current product offerings, I really cant see how that will happen. What do people want in a car like Avventura ?
    The street cred of a Duster/Ecosport -check
    ground clearance-check
    boot space-?
    power compared to Duster/Ecosport - ?
    touchscreen infotainment-?
    ESP/TC/Hill start-?
    Cruise control-?
    People wouldnt mind the 1.3MJD if they got most of the above features. You may argue that there is a problem with the price point. But then Ecosport does have most of these and sells at 10-11 lac .

People are a bit tired of the Linea/Punto shape, is what I gather from some casual discussions. The Linea, although facelifted, is simply not liked by most because of its curves. Its ironical, but true!

Is Fiat listening to the market ? It doesnt appear so. I also feel that they are somewhat hamstrung with their Tata tie-up, which, I gather, was based on a certain personal rapport between Marchionne and Ratan Tata. They should really have come up on their own even in 2008-2009, aka VW. The ill-effect of that tie-up is such that I got a call from an Insurance company today to enquire about renewal of my "Tata Linea " insurance:mad:. It was met with a swift rebuke, no less!
    jackharrisw, prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I MAY have to agree with you, but will consider doing so only end-2016. Because i think that is the minimum time we have to give them to consummate the re-launch of the Fiat brand (including dealers and FASS) and of individual products + all-new ones (e.g., the India-made Jeep C-Suv or the Fiat B-Suv or the Linea replacement).

What i appreciate is that for the first time they show every sign of doing a thorough-going job rather than their earlier half-hearted and finance-constrained (PAL JV, Tata sales and service JV etc) history. Their plans are plausible. They are mostly sticking to their announced plan, whether on product launches or new dealers, etc, even marketing quality and quantity are improving.

I may still have to agree with you to bash them, but will wait til end-2016, because i believe they're doing a fair job so far in, and I keep repeating this in post after post, the most warped, mis-informed and closed-minded, heding-biased car baazaar in the world!
    jackharrisw and asimpleson like this.