1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What FIAT needs to do to sell more

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

A marketing head like our PrimeMinister who is an amazing orator and implements the plans.
  2. multijetter

multijetter Regolare

I think now is the best time for Fiat to introduce new models, as Avventura is getting good response, number of showroom are increased, more after sales service station and readily available spares. They should launch at least 2 models per year, if they are really serious about India.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    But they will: abarth 500 next month, Abarth Punto t-jet next year, Jeep launch next year, and...hopefully the 1.5 mjd on the Linea (at least) too.

Early 2016: Auto Expo. That should be the climax of all-new new launches: at least one all-new Fiat SUV/CUV, and an Indian-made Jeep model too. AT LEAST. These are sure to happen, re-confirmed several times by FCA officials.

Hope they introduce the Dualogic AMT on the diesels across models. Autocar claims an all-new Linea replacement also in 2016.

Enough? Let's see, hoping. :)
    kunwar.g likes this.
  4. acechip

acechip Superiore

The first thing I'd do if I were in Fiat is to check the quality and knowledge of the sales staff at dealerships. Most importantly, the staff should be retrained to chuck out that MSIL junk that they have been used to : (40 kmph-5th gear stuff) over the years. They must be thoroughly evaluated to see if they indeed convey the virtues of the Fiat product well enough. In my (many) occasions of car buying, I have met only a handful of sales personnel who were very confident of their product knowledge.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 23, 2014 ---
    as in all new Linea :) or "no Linea from 2016:eek: ?
    chakiirfan likes this.
  5. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Linea's design does not fit well to indian tastes, but may be the viaggio's will
    a 1.5 mjd on punto would be a wow too
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    They also at some point soon need a aura-tic 'flagship' that sells well enough: even the new Linea T-jet or the new Duster competitor SUV in 2016 doesn't cut it, neither does the Viaggio which has Alfa Romeo handling but doesn't look dramatically Italian, or distinctive enough: the 500X, then!

It should be thought of, to be built in Ranjangaon on the same line (platform, engines, transmissions etc) as the Jeep C-SUV planned for 2016. Autocar says a second indian made Jeep, a B-SUV (Renegade?) is likely too. That would make 4 awesome CUV/SUVs between the two brands from the c2 segment above the Avventura and equal to the Linea to the D2 level of the Fortuner/Santa Fe.

My guess is that C2 and D-segment sedan sales will plateau or slow and it is exactly this type of vehicle at these types of prices that'll see a boom, as b2- and c-segment car owners from the last economic boom upgrade.

These SUVs have/are being developed by FiatChrysler precisely for global markets, rather than just Europe or the USA. They should seriously look at bringing them, ALL four of them, to India, a market that will grow well even as China, Brazil, Russia, Turkey etc slow down as they already have and will further?

The Japanese and even the Korean are not so strong at all at SUVs priced between 10 and say 20 lakhs ex-showroom.
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

Yes, but they are willing to expand- they have the resources and the zeal to capture more of the market. As yet, they dont see the pressure because for example, Innova has no competition in its segment nor does the Fortuner . But they will surely launch upgraded designs and platforms. And then build on the brand reputation. Thats where the trouble starts for FCA. And mind you, FCA doesnt have much of a reputation even elsewhere in the developing markets (except Lat Am perhaps).
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 24, 2014, Original Post Date: Oct 24, 2014 ---
    On a slightly different note- Avventura launched on Oct-21. Diwali happened Oct-23. Not a single full page feature ad in the papers ? What are they waiting for ? Christmas ?
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Jeep has tremendous cachet all over the world, especially in China, the Middle East and North Africa, Eastern Europe, and I dare say (to a lesser extent?) India. FCA is committed to using the Jeep brand as the main instrument of global, rather than just Euro-American or LatAm growth. They certainly now have the excellent affordable products: Cherokee, Renegade and the upcoming C-SUV. They've declared India as one of three manufacturing locations for these smaller cheaper Jeeps, alongwith Brazil and China, where a new factory's under construction just for Jeep.

Even the Fiat brand makes notable profits in China and Asia-Pac, including Australia, Japan and Korea: this, without local manufacture and pricing of any great quantity, mainly through sales of the Fiat 500, Freemont, and the vans (Ducato etc).

The Fiat B-Suv (for Auto Expo 2016), and the 500X + 500L are just the vehicles for strong growth (not only for Jeep, which is assured) in this region for Fiat. Add to that the china-made Viaggio+Ottimo (no future in India for the latter, I feel), AND the 2016/17 Linea replacement+ all-new Punto....

They could import CKD kits of the Viaggio from China, localize partly esp engines and transmissions, and try that in India, but they are unlikely to meet with any greater success than say Renault has with the excellent Fluence: i.e., NONE. Better to move the Fiat brand upwards (from B2 + C2 to D1) with the 500X! Not yet: the brand's not ready in India, but it hopefully and probably will be by 2016.

Of course, a shorter route to success might be just to buy (a share of) Suzuki globally, if the VW-Suzuki arbitration result presents the opportunity! ;-)

I don't feel the delayed launch of the Avventura is necessarily an opportunity missed: it could be the opposite (to a degree), what with all the festive noise/clutter/clamour/distraction/travelling over. Advertising is effective not just of itself but through its context: they might actually be able to get more eyeballs/talk/buzz by advertising after the festive frenzy is over! ;-)
  9. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot, I agree that FIAT has identified India has a market for manufacturing, but practically, to start a manufacturing units for certain models sorely depends on the demand for the product in the local market, else it would be a disaster accumulating significant losses.

Unless FIAT proves to itself that it is a brand that can generate numbers, starting to manufacture smaller jeeps might not be useful. They first need to see how the market reacts. They have to import the vehicles from the countries where India have a free trade agreement so that the cost are kept under check. The engine and gear box can always be plonked here as India is the hub for manufacturing the national engine. ;)
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. nk4FIAT

nk4FIAT Superiore

Fiat should sell their cars with following Price,
    Punto- 2.5L with mileage of 30kmpl
    Linea-4.5L with mileage of 25kmpl
    Avventura-5Lwith mileage of 25kmpl