1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What FIAT needs to do to sell more

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @ghodlur Difficult to disagree! But I will, somewhat: I have come to believe that Fiat owners and fans are some of the brand's biggest enemies, if often inadvertently. Too many of them/us have a sort of complex about owning a Fiat, or a reactive defence mechanism at any rate. The result is that often we over scrutinize/are over vigilant/nitpick/are too voluble. A lot of the ridiculously exaggerrated and distorted ideas about Fiats (everything from engine power to gearbox to rear space to service cost/quality to pricing) have their roots and their incitements in some Fiat owners' desire to 'distance themselves'/even bash the car/brand they admire. The result is that Fiats have to run the gauntlet of scrutiny, gossip and hearsay to a degree that would've left Maruti, Hyundai, Honda and Toyota weeping if only it were applied to them!

It is defensive owners of Fiats who've perpetuated the expectation that a Fiat should have the handling of a Bmw, the build of a Volvo, the styling of a Maserati, the engines of a Ferrari, the ride of a Merc, the feature list of a Hyundai, the service quality and reliability of a Toyota....all at the price of a Tata! ;-)

I exaggerate, but for rhetorical purposes only! :)
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.
  2. deepakhon

deepakhon Amatore

Bangalore
    What should Fiat India do to sell more ?

Catch hold of many more diamond merchants like the one at Surat.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Prabhjot,

Do agree with all your points. However the pessimism isnt instant overnight. Its over a period of time associating with Fiat. Reason being sole dealer available for Fiat in some major pockets, hence no competitiveness. So Fiat owners are forced to approach the only alternative available. This coupled with some nonsensical approach by Fiat towards marketing their products, making the after sales service totally scattered adds to the woes. Hence the Fiat owner is always a disgruntled one, always begging for more from Fiat. This isnt the case with the Top 3 manufacturers, look at their reach, the alternatives provided, their marketing blitzkrieg. everything adds to the sales bottom line. If Fiat has to succeed they must excel in the above areas. Not depend on the dealer or the sales representatives to promote the product for them.

1) Have knowledgeable SA's in this age of Internet/google. If reqd train them and train them tough.
    2) Stop this belief that once the car is sold, its the end of responsibility/relationship. People wont then need facebook to express their displeasure.
    3) Entice the customer with ads, its all about how you sell yourselves.
    4) Listen to the customer, improve the areas where the weakness is the most. This is basic strategy for most businesses.
    5) Spread out to the places where people still believe in Fiat. Classic eg Northeast.
    6) Have the infrastructure to cater to aftersales. The top 3 manufacturers already have more than one manufacturing plant & Fiat is happily content is selling the engines only.

I hope Nagesh B must have already thought of the above and implementing them shouldnt be difficult. Dont see why Fiat cant succeed in India as the rest.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
    prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If they have cars like eon, or datson go, or alto, what keeps Fiat away from this section of cars. Unless it believes like Toyota that making something cheaper than an Etios is impossible for them for reasons of design compromises, manufacturing standards and quality.

OT: Maruti planning commercial vehicle entry soon; also diesel engine tested in this will be refined upon and plonked in the likes of Celerio later. Fiat could further reduce the SDE cc and do well..?
  5. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    I recon Fiat needs to do some serious introspection. For a manufacturer who has been trying since long to carve out a bigger slice of the market share, it needs to ask itself whether its current customers will repost faith on the brand again. It can do far worse than reassure its current customers that they haven’t made a blunder by investing their hard-earned money on a Fiat product. Given that they don’t sell an unmanageable number of cars, customer satisfaction, support and reliability should have been their forte and not grounds on which Fiat is bashed repeatedly.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    If given a chance interpretively to show and have acknowledged really accomplished improvements, i.e., if the old devil can please be given its due! Even if a lot more still needs doing, not least in Assam, and the East generally where they've been, for their own reasons, slow and poor @Rituraj
  7. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    @prabhjot: Please don't feel offended, but I didn't quite understand your post. :) By 'old devil' are you referring to Fiat? If yes, what is that due that it needs to be given?
  8. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
  9. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    As always, blame it on Fiat :wacky:
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    New dealerships. 7 of them in delhi ncr. Independent FASS that is distinctly better than the Tata days (speaking from my specific location @Rituraj, just as you do from yours), terrific warranties in practice and not just theory, acceptable spares availability and prices, good grievance redressal from Fiat India. Nowhere near 'there' yet, but getting there, provided the 50% year-on-year sales no. improvement continues.

@Rituraj I am NOT needling you. We know none of this applies to you in Jorhat/Assam. Yet, despite the long wait and grief. Just giving the 'devil' its due from my side, from my location and experience. Yours has so far been the opposite, admittedly. It remains a 'devil', still, admittedly! ;-)
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.