1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What FIAT needs to do to sell more

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    in present india , high price is playing as least crucial factor considering the cars you come across the road in everyday life.
    no matter if it is tjet imported or common multijet what we expect is great a.s.s

a.s.s from fiat side is still scary. and they dont seems to bother much about it and added Achilles heel the atrocious interiors.

it is sad to note that otherwise best looking sedan and hatchback can make more expensive and upmarket cars to shame . but nobody dare to experiment his vitamin m into it.

what good a common man will feel when he finds his brand new cars having panel gaps , loose fittings ,rusted metals and et al. well he will have to confess his fellow travellers about the steering feel and ride quality.yet people wont find any excuse to appreciate this wonderful car.

since two year of launch what i saw is "marginal improvements" in interior quality . that is nothing but interest of fiat enthusiast being taken for granted by fial.is that so difficult for them to make such small things alright? well it seems so.
    so what happens even though i am owner of punto, i will surely hesitate to recommend same to my close friend ,straight away i will ask him to go and have td for other cars in the market as well . what a shame on fiat.!!!

i myself facing problem of rattling passenger seat and car was bought in october 2010, its been more than a month now and they could not replace it under warranty. brand new car with defective parts where are we leading ??
    recently learnt that mailing to any fiat authorities or big head is not going to help...just patience is the way..!!!
  2. nk4FIAT

nk4FIAT Superiore

Hyderabad
    Hmmm Little frustration today.
    Since morning I am seeing only "Etios" everywhere. All the illuminated hordings towards entering Airport are filled with ARR with etios.
    Inside airport lot many hordings. After landing at Banaglore welcome by Etios.
    While going out again all hordings Etios.
    i really appreciate the way Etios advt campaign is planned since last 6 months. They really created interest in everybody's mind. Launch is also in a bigger way. Now after this, the success is nearly sure and they will hit a good market share.(and of course eat Linea's number). It may fail becoz of some unknown reasons but the efforts in advt campaign is really appreciable.
    Also seen 2 Airport buses totally painted with Ford Figos in various colours from all 4 directions.
    The moment sales of Nano was down in Nov'10 immed. Tata have responded with 4 years warranty n other schemes. Seen almost full page color advt in all newspapers.
    All auto manufacturers are really struggling to advt in totally innovative way except one, our dear "FIAT" why?
    And why Tata is immed. responding for less Nano sales but overturning eyes on FIAT sales. Why? Why? Why?
    Is FIAT a stepbrother?????? Use good quality engines and throw away when they need you!!!
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    My highly biased suggestion : Offer an upgrade from 1.4 Fire to Tjet at very nominal cost :)
  4. drmanraj

drmanraj

chandigarh
    my 2 cents regarding drop in sales== its just that the market refuses to except fiat in this new avtaar after the early fate of FIAT company and its service.
    bringing entry level hatchback= new uno might to some extent boost the sale chart.
    surprisingly i see hell lot of puntos in chandigarh region.
  5. nk4FIAT

nk4FIAT Superiore

Hyderabad
    I agree with drmanraj. In oct i was in C'garh for 02 days. I saw at least 7-8puntos and 1-2 linea for approx. every 100 veh.
    So around 8-9% market share. Good for FIAT. Hope in all cities they reach the same.
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I agree with you nk4fiat,
    Fiat should do more advertisement, in newspapers, tv channels, and road hordings, I am sure that will increase the sale.
  7. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Just marketing isn't enough. It has to be good and effective marketing. The problem with Fiat advts, both print & TV, is that once they are over, you don't remember them. They are flat and fail to make any kind of impact on their target audience (Does Fiat even know who their target audience is?!).

I remember the Figo advertisement for it's bluetooth feature - daughter is away on her birthday missing her dad and he calls her and speaks on the car bluetooth phone. I remember all the Polo adverts - driving head on into a Rhino , driving over a Ostritch egg for ground clearence. I even remember the old Optra karva chauth advt.

It's either emotions or humor that appeals to an average Indian. Fiat uses neither. Sure their Punto had two blokes driving a 2 Door Punto (it isnt even avaliable in India!!) and I have to hand it to the car and the team that made the advt - some of the shots of the car were simply put BRILLIANT specially the one where the car turns around. Point is nobody cares for these kind of advts in India. It's like Hero Honda - See it, shut it , forget it. Unless people remember a Fiat advt they wouldn't know a car called Punto / Linea exists in the market. Marketing & advts have to pull in prospects to the showroom, sales staff have to convert them into sales. Right now Fiat isn't able to pull prospects into showrooms. Once people come in and start asking for Fiat's the average tired salesperson you talk to will automatically get energised and motivated and will start selling more.
  8. sharma_sanjeevin

sharma_sanjeevin Regolare

Mumbai
    Amit Bhai, very aptly put together & very valid points. They should have a Target Audience, currently their Advertisements seem vague & not targetting any specific audience like Volkswagen, Ford & Chevrolet does.

I would like to add further, they should bring the Small Car ASAP to cater to the Mass Market. As they dont have any product below the Grande Punto and huge gap is there in their portfolio after they stopped the Palio. The competition is going to be fierce in the Small Car segement as the Biggies Toyota & Honda are coming up with their small cars. FIAT needs to pull its socks and get ready for the competition in this segment.

If they want to survive then the Small Car should be launched ASAP & a properly laid out plan / strategy for promoting the Linea & Grande Punto is a MUST.
  9. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Fiat should fix following loopholes in there marketing mix

1. Associate brand with emotion, be it adventure, be it fun, be it family friendly or be it young generation or be it corporate. Once should feel attachment towards the product. And Ensure what ever emotion being targeted is been fulfilled to maximum and stand better than competitors while fulfilling the targeted emotion. Remember Innova - Family car, Fiesta - Diesel and Fun car, Altis - corporate car. People make associations, our brain stores details with associations.

2. Fiat in as unique automotive brand in India which enjoys strong nice brand following, like we have seen on TFI. Build and support the groups that ensure enrichment of experience of brand following, create a cult, advertise cult activities, people will associate themselves and would be inspired. The groups will work as word of mouth for building bigger sales and better conversions as compared to what FIAT currently sees at its dealership. Advertise about various Fiat communities, let the prospective customer know about the communities and have a better understanding about the product. Organize events for FIAT followers, market the events in various media, this shows commitment and association of company with customers.

3. Ensure a fiat representative in sales as well as in services department at least until the dealer and service center have raised it levels to provide 100% customer satisfactions . Figure out the most prominent cities, study the sales charts and sales trends of upcoming cities, bring in FIAT professionals to this upcoming cities, who would ensure a kingly treatment all prospective and customers. With the rise in spending power, every one now days need special pampering and if we talk about premium products, expectation on pampering is very high, which dealers might not be ready to get into initially as they are not grown up that way in past. It would also be good to learn from Honda Sales and Service team about how to ensure quality and customer satisfaction in services, they have really worked upon very much in this segment.

4. JV of FIAT and TATA is must for reaching the mass market, but FIAT has to work upon building its own image out of this JV, they cannot think of miracles to happen to there brand image, both the brands have total different market image. TATA represents growing future and FIAT majorly represent a failed past. In the current JV, FIAT is working on premium segments products, thus they have to work hard on providing premium feel and services, still staying in the relationship and sharing the same floor with TATA. Work with TATA to improve the quality of services offered at service stations, this in one arena where JV has to work extensively, put strict checks on adherence of quality in services as well as set up guidelines for recruitment at service centers. If you hire monkeys, you will always ride the donkeys, its simple.

5. Change the advertising and marketing consultant, they seriously dont know whats FIAT is all about and how to sell the cars from brand like FIAT. Also 114 PS TJET doesnt make sense to 90% population watching your advert. Speak to customer in there language and not technical language, keep that for enthusiasts and experts. Also just dont market only single product from your product family, speak about both Petrol and Diesel Version, speak about the product in laymens language that generates sales. Try to touch senses in advertisement that one would like to see, hear and feel int he advertisement.

6. Give away packages like 3/5 years maintenance free, see what Chervolet did, and it got there attention and business back. People are scared about Fiat products and availability of parts, this kind of packages advertised will add some sense of security.

7. Personally try to speak to all the buyers of 2009 batch products and get there products rectified, they are the people who migh have faced issues and would have spoken negative all around, make them satisfied with there cars (legitimately) and carry forward same to next generation cars too, thats the only way to remove the bad name in regard to services and availability of parts. Indirect price of non conformance are very high, thus no company especially in automotive industry could sustain that.

8. Use local testimonial when advertising in regional papers, if possible setup local brand ambassadors in various cities, whom the prospective buyer as well existing buyer could connect and discuss. And I am sure FIAT enthusiast would be glad to take that up.

9. Organize quarterly meets in major markets for consumer issues redresal if any, not every one can mail Mangnesh or call up customer support center, this kind of meets with every buyer preinformed will lead to quick escalation of pending grievances. This would not show up in sales chart immediately, but its an long term growth oriented strategy.

10. Work upon ensuring better resale values. Resale value is one important thing when an individual buys a car.

11. Setup a customer support and service ticket system, where customer, dealer and Fiat company are connected. Every car that goes into service gets logged into service ticket system, this way not only customer will be able to track his services as well as same data can be used for resolving future issues. Aslo this system will bring in transparency and would cut down the cheatings done by dealers. At the same time customers will get access to all the details when ever required at the same time it would be easy for him to escalate the issues to FIAT if he is not satisfied with the dealer. A web based system is very much required to bring in the connectivity, transparency and effectiveness in services offered.
  10. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Right said viny