1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What FIAT needs to do to sell more

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. mayank

mayank Amatore

and guys u know wat??...last wednesday i met some known person who had booked swift diesel..and was thinking about cancelling the booking due to long waiting period..and then he asked me about punto's performance..i told him how punto is better than swift in terms of build quality,riding,handling,suspension,boot space and yeah one of the most important thing "looks'..:D also he was pretty amazed after when he came to know that swift diesel is running on punto's blessing.."the mjd"..:D and then he also told me that a day before he went to the fiat showroom and they are offering him the mjd active model for around rs512000/- ex showroom!...i was really surprised to hear that fiat have cut down price of the diesel segment too..:eek::wow i think its a pretty good move by fiat..:D where swift is coming with ex showroom price of around rs520000/-...the new cut down in price of gp will set the floor on fire now..:D
    1 person likes this.
  2. They do; in SX4 Diesel
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  3. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    that ain't a Hatchback..
  4. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Why Fiat is lagging in Sales?
    1. Relatively low reputation because of some historical bad times in India
    2. Some reviewers bad mouthing about power, plastics (as if other cars are heaven), service quality
    3. Fiat joining hands with a direct competitor for sales & service (I understand the rationale, but at the end its not working very well)
    4. Non-owners of Fiat criticizing the power of MJD (Utterly insane) only because it says 1.3 (Shouldn't the consumer be happy if 1.3 is producing 90PS while 1.6 produces 105PS)
    5. MASS holding the dubious distinction of the cheapest service costs
    and the list goes on..

Proposed Solution (for point 2 & 4):
    I think Fiat is not using its biggest Asset while they market their products. Fiat has such a large enhusiasts/fans who swear by fiat. Fiat should use them in commercials and ask their view "Why they love fiat so much?" Other manufacturers are already doing this. Chevy, Ford, Hero MotoCorp etc.

Why should we not propose to Fiat that we TFians can give them kicka** video testimonials that they can use in commercials. That way masses that does not know what Fiat is known for, will realize there is an alternative to M**** S***** in the first place. I am sure we will give very realistic testimonials when asked to speak about our passion. Fiat can use Passion as its unique selling proposition rather than sensible, power, mileage etc. Got Heart!

Also it wont cost a bomb as we are not Shah Rukhs, Shumis or Sachins of the world. If all are OK with this idea we could ask mods to mail the marketing heads of Fiat. I just feel Fiat deserves atleast this for making wonderful cars for us.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
    2 people like this.
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    The bad mouthing is not entirely wrong. A prospective customer when he test drives the car goes by feel not by figures. He notices that the Swift, i20 & Polo zoom ahead in first & second gear while the Punto struggles to move. That throws the Punto out of favor immediately. Not the buyer's fault. Why is it that the Polo with a 1.2L 3 cyl engine does 0-100 in 16.xx seconds while the Punto with a 1.3L 4 cy does it in 17.xx seconds?

As for point 4, no body would care if the 1.3L gives 90 or 80 bhp if the car felt like it had 90 bhp. The Punto does not. Thanks to the stupid gearbox. Let's remember, it's the same Indian's that happily paid almost 15 lakhs for a Skoda Laura with a 1.9L 105bhp engine until recently. Most people don't even know the engine size & bhp when they are test driving. They just go by feel. If the car is keeping up with traffic without too much driver effort they feel it's a good engine.

In India, speeds are slow in city. Thanks to the Korean and Japanese cars, Indians feel if a car zips in first and second gears it's a powerful car! Tata-Fiat sales should make people drive the Fiat's on highways at high speeds and specifically ask the driver to note the stability and confident steering as compared to other cars. Europeans may notice these things but for most Indians these are alien stuff.

The Vento is infinitely better to drive then the idiotic Verna but it's the Verna that outsells the Vento month after month just because it has more features and Hyundai keeps shouting about the fluidic design. Many people don't say Verna, they call it Fluidic Verna! Morons!
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Why Fiat is lagging in Sales?
    It is not only in India but all around the globe where fiat car exists
    same again around the globe people have same word about fiat product,say compare it with hyundai or suzuki cars which looks better when entered
    If fiat can buckle up and tighten sort out the loop holes from top down to bottom there is no chance of any rationale.
    Power when idle is of no use it should act .it should perform and make people say . guess how many could differentiate between Punto90hp and punto75 ho if the badge was removed.
    800 and Alto is cheapest to maintain and highest selling car and the word of mouth do spread and infects into other models too.

I have more serious issues than just to love-look around the service center ;why should my car has to strangle between taxis and UV's ?

What if masses realize there exist a good car called fiat but there is no showroom ,TD vehicle or reliable service center even at 200km near them ?

I bet many times it has been done from this platform and response was next to nil from Fiat.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    atleast this year fiat should think about stylish interiors....
    will wait and see for Punto 2013...;)
  8. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    0-100 is not what everyone buying Polo, Swift, Vista are looking. I agree there is a segment like that. What about features like build quality, safety??

If punto is not able to keep up with traffic and indeed so sluggish, why on earth do we have enthusiasts in this forum drooling over Punto, Linea? While I respect your view and requirement for quicker accelaration etc but I don't think it is that hopeless.

Very true. Rather than defending the negatives, test drive personnel should highlight the positives. RK was hinting at India specific car. May be it will take this into account.

It is the marketing that gives the product its sheen to the external world. So I guess Hyundai is good at it compared to VW.

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

All the cars in India have been criticized of plastics panel gaps etc. Are you saying i20, Verna, Swift twins and SX4 have better interior quality? If I compare Fiat 2012 models, I think they are all on par. Polo, Fabia might be a notch higher (so is the price).

Very true. High priority action item for Fiat.

We must not forget that Fiat is solidly built and weighs lot more. This also contributes to slower accelaration apart from gear ratios and tuning. Punto/Linea with its current config and tuning is not built for outright accelaration. Like Amit mentioned, India is tuned by Koreans and Japs for 1st and 2nd gear fastest 60 speeds.

But they also have a service interval of 5K while fiats have 15K. So fiat should high-light that aspect for differentiation.

I totally agree on this. The otherday at service, I saw old indicas to nanos to every other TATA. My car looked like a jag between them. :D

This is the reason Fiat tied up with Tata, second or third largest service network. I dont think people have to travel 200Kms+ for a service with the current scenario. I felt you exaggerated a bit. While I agree it is no match to say Maruti. But if you compare to Nissan, Renault, Ford, Honda things are on par or better.

Mods, Can you confirm on this? If we as TFI has not offered this to Fiat so far, we could attempt giving testimonials for commercials.
  9. New Punto/Linea has better acceleration than before
  10. CountRock

CountRock Staff Member Janitor

Dallas, Texas
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    They do? What are the in-gear acceleration and 0-100 figures?