1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What FIAT needs to do to sell more

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. nk4FIAT

nk4FIAT Superiore

Hyderabad
    The sales chart has gone alarmingly low for FIAT. It is high time for them to take corrective action immediately. On so many forums, so many times, so many people have given suggestions. FIAT is doing something but seems to be not sufficient. Again I am reiterating few of them,

1. FIAT has to seriously change the marketing strategy from scratch and top to bottom. They have to shout from stomach that their products are one of the bests. In every Advt. media whether national TV Channels, newspapers, magazines, local cable TVs, banners, hordings everywhere bombard FIAT on Indian customers. There should not be a single prospective car buyer who doesn't know about FIAT cars. At least for one year please don't link the Advt budget of cars with sales. Use some profit from FPT also because without spending a penny on engine Advt you are getting huge customers from Tata, Maruti and now Chevy. One more peculiar thing I observed is there is no single Advt. on any of the airport; neither inside nor outside. Most of the Sedan/hatchback buyers will be definitely get inspired about FIAT brand. In last 2-3 years I've traveled almost weekly at around 10-12 various cities. In none of the airport or flight magazine I've seen FIAT. (only once in Ind. Air. magazine, a small para page with photo of Punto/Linea and Black Linea was showcased at Bangalore Airport in Feb09). Convert the image from 'Dumb' to ' Most happening' brand.

2. Adopt ' Zero Tolerance Policy' for after sales service. Any model/any spare should be available within 1-3 days for minor spare and within 3-5 days for major. Also now don't let Palio customers to spread bad words about service by neglecting them. Already enough damage is done by Uno/Petra/Sienna unsatisfied customers. So treat Palio customers as brand ambassadors because in difficult time of FIAT they have shown faith on company. Now if you discard them again it will affect Punto/Linea/new car buyers. So this will be the Litmus test for FIAT.

3. Solve all the niggling and minor quality issues of Linea/Punto. Every product coming out of factory should be full proof and should not require any major part change for 1st 2-3 years. No recall business at all.

4. If we see the basic colour (white, silver, black, gray, red) availability, green and blue colour are not available. Introduce any shade of green and dark blue at the earliest. Also look for at least 02 colors which are never seen in Indian markets.

5. Plan properly for debut of new low cost (Below 3 Lakhs) car.

i) Test the car rigorously in factory/outdoor so that after launch there will not be any niggling/ rattling or major issue.
    ii) Select good brand ambassadors- preferably one lady and one gentleman. Focus this small car on everybody. i.e. gents, youngsters, elders, housewives, working women, rich, higher middle class, middle working class. Give some franky colors (pink, violet) So shoot 03/04 Advt. accordingly.
    iii) Give teasers in TV/newspapers for at least 15 days before launch.
    iv) Advertise for at least 01 month after launch. Launch should not be only in Mumbai, it should be all over India. In all major cities organize a small function at Public places like Big Bazaar/Metro/More etc, call local Hero and make a grand debut, conduct rally of that city for that particular day. Arrange a state rally covering all major districts throughout the month.
    v) Keep the spare cost minimum and also change the philosophy of exploiting the customer unnecessarily. E.g. if head/tail lamp glass is broken he has to buy whole assembly. Remember the customer for this small car will be typically middle class and he may not able to spend such huge money. So restructure the spares to individual items wherever possible.

6. Open FIAT exclusive showrooms/service centers (already decided). But please make it fast. Every day, every month, every festive season FIAT is missing sales and day by day No of car customers are reducing and going to saturate the requirement. Advertise in local news papers, cable TVs regarding opening of FIAT brand store.

7. There is a need of variety of range i.e. other than hatchback and Sedan, launch SUV. Chrysler-FIAT SUV is the best.

8. Assign 01 person to daily visit all Auto blogging sites, keep visiting every posting related to FIAT. Consolidate all the posts and make a note of serious suggestions on everyday basis. Higher management can review on fortnightly/monthly basis.

9. Apart from conventional marketing think of some different ways. i.e Doctor's referral program and technical training Institute are one of the innovative way. Please make it compulsory for the carmakers who uses FIAT engines to display in each and every Advt. as' Powered by FIAT MJD' or something like this. All general public will come to know that reliability, ruggedness, fuel efficiency, durability of the car they are driving actually comes from FIAT engine.

10. Last but not least, please work towards a challenging (not impossible)goal of having 10% market share by 2015, 25% by 2020 and 50% by 2025. We will love to see every alternate car on Indian roads form FIAT.

Comments are requested from members regarding my views. If somebody can e-mail to FIAT, that will be the great thing.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    Good suggestions.

But the point is - is any body listening at FIAT India ?
  3. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    NK sir, thing is that you can not target one car at every age group.

I was so impressed at the Acer mall recently when I saw Acer Iconia TAB product training being given to the staff by someone from Acer.

He explained clearly the following:

1. The target customer.

2. Why should one pick Acer over Apple iPad2 and Galaxy TAB, i.e. USP. (Acer TAB has USB Port).

3. How it's more VFM and some exclusive and nice features were then discussed. He explained the salesmen to always start with Iconia TAB's intro with it's USB port.

On the other hand, I have never seen a TATA FIAT sales man bothering to press the Microsoft button in the TD car. Showroom cars don't have key inserted in the car at all. How will one see that it has so many features on the MID? e.g. the exact door open warning!!

Also, I think it's time to bring FIAT Stile with 1.3MJD, power steering, front two power windows at 4.20 Lacs. Just keep same features as FIGO but price it 20k lower than corresponding variant. 1.3MJD will definitely bring lots of customers if you highlight that your engine is being used in most Indian diesel hatchbacks.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  5. Yes, you are right, they should give demo at least. I remembered one interview of some famous car manufacture on TV (long back) : "He is quoting that we need to show huge difference to new customers, in-respect the his current car and we have very less time to prove ourself" so difference plays major role in deciding.

Even they have ready to market product - "Palio MJD SDX", but current users suffer from hard clutch. Even they are unable to fix it till. I don't think to fix hard clutch need some extra R&D capability.

They are trying to avoid Palio and others old released cars problems, thus they are getting bad words. You see M800 still in the market and performing well since last 25 years, If you have one, you can sell it in the used car market in justified price - it shows confidence towards new customers.

In long term only your policy plays, rest all kept by side. That's why our seniors says "शॉप ज़माने मे टाइम लगता है !"
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Nice suggestion nk4FIAT and PS but let FIAT officials read this information instead of us.
  7. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Blindly Agree with nk4FIAT, Come on Fiat India, we are worried for you and care for our FIAT,
    Wake up FIAT INDIA, Before your neighborliness take the opportunity and then its all over
  8. nk4FIAT

nk4FIAT Superiore

Hyderabad
    In fact I want to say "Freemont" . Facinating SUV, if FIAT launches with massive Advtz and good price (12-15L), SUV will change picture of FIAT in India.
  9. I don't think so.. If fiat is unable to get customers for it's reasonably priced Linea's it will not be able to do so for a higher segment vehicle. They should shed the image of being a lethargic manufacturer tied up with a truck manufacturer. Do some brand positioning, throw an open challenge that fiat will pay double the amount for people who could find issues with quality of the overall product (here I am leaving the regular running parts which are subject to wear and tear) and then we can see some improvement. They are like a cyclist cycling away at full fury to prove who is the boss with the competition but somehow they forgot to take the cycle of the stand, so all efforts are / will go waste ..

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.764114,-121.254770
  10. nk4FIAT

nk4FIAT Superiore

Hyderabad
    Ha Ha Ha . Rightly said cyberdoctorind. But I also don't agree withn statement"........cycling at full fury..........". Where is fury? and where is cycling man? they are just seating on seat and looking here and there. They are not shouting also. In full market they have simply put cycle on stand and sitting on it to sell.