1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What FIAT needs to do to sell more

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    What's with this news? Punto and Linea facelift before the small car?

MUMBAI: Fiat India will overhaul its product and distribution strategy in an attempt to prop up falling sales. Top officials from its Italian parent have recently visited India to help the Indian management rebuild Fiats brand equity in the country.

The Italian auto major intends to launch a face-lifted Punto (hatchback) and Linea (sedan), which will be followed by a small car, people familiar with the development said. The Punto and Linea cars, part of the current portfolio of products, have been falling short of targeted sales numbers. Fiat spokesperson did not reply to questions on the subject.

The Italian auto major is currently in discussion with dealers to set up separate showrooms so that the Fiat brand gets an identity of its own. "Although Fiat India will look at separate showrooms, Tatas will continue to support the marketing efforts," said a senior official. Currently Fiat cars are sold through the Tata Motor dealerships.

In 2007, Fiat entered into a 50:50 JV with Tata Motors , for joint distribution and back-end support. Fiat India officials declined to comment. In 2010-11, Fiat India sales were down 15% to 21,066 units against a capacity of 80,000 units.

Source:- http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...prop-up-falling-sales/articleshow/8928098.cms
  2. gauravp

gauravp Amatore

Pune
    A welcome move by FIAT. FIAT try to start with the tier1 cities first and then depends on feedback extend this to rest of India. I believe FIAt should keep on selling its cars with TATA in small cities because TATA has big market in these cities and by this people will also come to know about FIAT.
  3. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Well, what i think is fiat cars not selling is only contry specific. They just have to analyse what is going wrong in india. I think they dont sell cars in joint ventures in europe. They have an excellent car but lacks confidence in their product. May be entering into a JV would have been a calculated move by fiat but they should not continue for so long. I would love to see FIAT dealers and their own garage. Of course it would cost a lot of money but with such an outstanding product they should be able to break even pretty quickly.
    Apart from this i agree with other members regarding fit & finish of the car. There is a vast scope for improvement which needs to be addressed quickly if they are seriously thinking of selling big numbers.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  4. CountRock

CountRock Staff Member Janitor

Dallas, Texas
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Just got an email from Fiat India, they are reintroducing the Fiat Referral Program!
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Fiat is a joke!

When the Indian management having started the JV in 2007, launched two spanking new cars in a space of 2 years are not able to figure out how to improve the brand equity what will a bunch of 'top official's' from Italy know! Besides, didn't Fiat India hire Accenture for exactly this thing a few months back? What happened to that? We haven't seen a single different thing after Accenture's appointment and I can tell you Accenture is not a joke company like Fiat India.

Why isn't Fiat listening to the market? The market has been speaking loud and clear with what's wrong and they just seem to have gone deaf. Look at VW. They launched the Polo a year back and on the back of reports of people finding the 3 pot TDi noisy and sluggish they are readying a new 1.5L 4 pot 95bhp engine. In one year of a spanking new car launch!!

What Fiat has done?

Quality of fit & finish is a concern.
    Fiat's response? Nothing for 2 years!

Sluggish performance due to the old gearbox.
    Fiat's response? Nothing as usual. They keep flogging the same old gearbox with the same silly gear ratio's and then wonder why their sales are falling. The market here feels if the car is zippy in first and second gear, the engine has good pick up. Is it so hard to understand the market's pysche?

Bigger and better engines are needed, specially for the Linea first.
    Fiat's response? Nothing! The entire segment has moved onto 1.5 & 1.6L Diesels. Fiat has a 1.6L but keeps saying they have no plans to launch it.

Good. Then go and get buried. No body cares for a tired and boring company that's been struggling for 15 years over here and for these past 15 years we have heard innumerable times about them wanting to get their brand right and their sales up. Quite frankly, Fiat, we just don't care anymore because we know you will fail again.
  6. You want, TATA should invest money for promoting FIAT Name.

:lol

You are true die-heart Fiat fan. :)

What about your car repair status.

All the best for the speedy recovery.
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Why do you think Accenture has not done anything?
    As I know, Fiat Referral scheme is suggested by them.

And the recent activities, like Brand Store and separate dealership/Service centers, could be their suggestions.

They did, but agree little :p-

Check these - http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/showthread.php?2267-punto-facelift-in-2-3-months
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/showthread.php?1649-2011-FIAT-cars-now-even-better

T-Jet did came to market.
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Agreed to Amit here.

I am prospective buyer of FIAT car & what I have in my hand is jut rumours of Punto EVO. Why dont FIAT responds to the market. They should launch Punto EVO along with current Punto. They should cut down the prices of current Punto & launch Punto EVO at premium price.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Read this - http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/sho...ft-in-2-3-months&p=56002&viewfull=1#post56002, and you already know its a rumor.
    Do you think current Punto is priced more, I don't think so.
    More costly cars are selling like hot cakes, even with bigger not-resolved issues. So its not so easy to find out what is the actual reason for low sales. For one issue seems something, for others, it might be totally different.
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    I totally agree with Ravi. With this price the features ,safety & the ride quality which Punto is offering , no other competitors are offering. Even I was astonished to read 'Did you know series' for the 1st time. But yes there are some things which really needs improvement & I am sure FIAT is doing something to make it better.. After all no car is 100 % perfect .