1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What FIAT needs to do to sell more

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    I dont think its Rajeev Kapoor, FIAPL being a joint venture of FIAT and TATA, there are lot of things that FIAT cannot push and there is a very big load that FIAT has to carry from TATA Management, who dont know how to sell premium cars. Thus there is huge connectivity gap in the management itself.

FIAPL sourced a lot of products from the vendors of TATA. Tata being a new to car manufacturing compared to other giants didnt had huge knowledge base about how to build various car components, thus its suppliers where also limited to very limited knowledge of automotive product development, they developed as per TATA's specifications. Where as TATA didnt had indept knowledge about parts development as compared to Hondas, Toyotas etc. Thus the vendors for TATA where not able to produce global quality products. FIAT when brought there cars, they sourced a lot of parts from the TATA manufacturing suppliers. So this suppliers provided the parts structurally but they failed to deliver in composition of part materials which required a higher level of technology. Resulting into

a. A very heavy car, because the steel provided in India for manufacturing was not having the tensile strength that was required for FIAT car.
    b. The plastics where structurally molded, but never have proper composition. Thus resulted into a very pathetic quality of plastics.
    c. Stuffs that they where not able to make in India, they imported, like turkey glue, European AC etc, which where never developed for indian conditions hence, they failed to perform on indian conditions.

On the service front, OLD TATA service centers were never able to catch up with the changing trend of "Customer is King", where people expect a lot more when they pay a lot more. Thus there started a big customer connection gap. When FIAT took on this network, it gained all those pain along with and now finding it very hard to pass there terms to dealers. Though up coming dealers are trying to provide "Customer is King" kind of service but they dont have experienced technicians, thus it would take some time for them to serve better.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    ^^^^ you said it perfect Viny,

For TASS "Customer is indeed a KING" but " King of fools" . TASS doesnt understand a decent language. they come on track only when you go with big sole leather shoes like ones people wear in factory.
  3. multijetter

multijetter Regolare

Mumbai
    "a. A very heavy car, because the steel provided in India for manufacturing was not having the tensile strength that was required for FIAT car."

I am not agree with this statement The attached link is of the catalog from Czech republic Please find in the Kerb weight which is more that Indian linea for 1.3 Mjd.

http://www.fiat.cz/dokums_dokumenty/linea_cat_2009_cz_web_133_352.pdf
  4. Viny

Viny Esperto

5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Viny,

Dont blame the TATA suppliers. Most of TATA suppliers are also supplying to other multinationals and are giving them world class components. Those vendors give the customers what they want, at what price and quality levels.TATA is known to have a very high level of hierarchy and decision makings are said to be pathetic. these structures got away when the products were not very sophisticated like the TATA Indica..etc, but were unable to match the requirements of companies such as FIAT when the product became premium.So TATA is still on the learning curve and I hope the JV terms are altered so that FIAT can source parts from other vendors who have a better attitude and understand world class products

Abdul
  6. Viny

Viny Esperto

jumu, I am not blaming any single point, everyone has its role. I think you missed few pointers in what i said, as you repeated same things in your post. :) Kindly read it again
  7. Was just going through this thread and realised a point that with such pathetic sales team, FIAT can never grow up in India.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1391&p=23788#p23788

Just heard that TJets in Sunbeam Biege and Tuscan wine will be available only from 1/April in Chennai.
    Both of them are the Best selling colours in TJet !

How do we expect FIAT to sell in decent nos ?
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    viny,
    i believe these were you own assumption not sourced from fiat or other faithful ends.
    i agree many things were sourced outside india even those ergonomic steering is first in the list.
    but the steel cannot be compromised at such an easy way. and i am sure tata steel is one of the best in world.they are heavy exporter of steel imho.

on the vehicle front fiat cannot rely on any kind of steel ,not even fiat but any car cannot. it has lots or rather loads of standards to keep up with including wieght to strength ratio. which conclude the safety of a car . have you wondered the wieght of our tata nano it can put old indica/alto/m800 to shame when compared with size price wieght and everything else.

if you feel suzuki or honda car being lighter is ahead and qualified against fiat ,then its time to re evaluate .

the first example could be the very famous "thud" when the doors closes in fiat. it stays like that forever an example of stiff materials and build quality which adds wieght. on other hand japanese brothers have soft shut but starts rattling. i have seen many toyota rattling like pencil box (not their high end cars though).

we should not forget the government policies and politics when it comes down to manufacturing a car.
    imho tata might have tried to keep the prices of cars as low as possible including fiats and that does show . but end of the day they obviously many things get compromised.
    just imagine if linea was a honda car what could be the price range-+1 or 2lac of present price???

9. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    sorry for such long (probably boring) post but i cant help it.

regarding the service centre , it is not easy to straighten up local indian showrooms and service centre . when it comes to foriegn cars like honda,toyota they have very strict rules to be followed and the showroom guys are sure what they invested are going to be returned as for the brand value and such things. so on one hand if they do not abide by companies policies and rules the company would withdraw the authorization( which could be very much dear for the dealer) from the dealers so in turn dealer maintain the quality and meet up the specs.

but tata vehicles being upcoming indian(local) and already having undulating market, dealers behave arrogantly towards the company, as if they dont need the dealership , so finally it is becomes kind of mix bag attitude for company as they want to keep the customer satisfied and do not want to loose dealers either , which gives real hard time for company officials.
    such things cannot be rectified in a day or in an year.
    look the scene tata has punched through the gap of car buziness and gaining momentum , there are so many satisfied customers in hand and of course so many whom have frown.i myself was a satisfied tata customer with my indica vista..

tata cannot hope to make premium models and sell off german type cars in india and be happy about it. and they have shown it that they can do it by procurring jaguar,range rover, et al. can anyone complain that tata is unable to build range rover or jaguar ? they are doing it at present time of writing (i hope so) .
    it could be his dedication towards india (Ratan Tata) or his extra creative attitude which keeps pushing tata with more and more products with improvements. if i am wrong or it sounds like heresy let us go and have a look inside tata aria. the latest from tata.

i feel it should only be tata could kick at the back of fiat to stand up in india. tata might have convinced fiat that its not only perfomance but indians like good strong cars too. tata might have made a deal that you walk with your perfomance and strenght and i follow you with space and vfm..
    what say tfi?
    else good cars are always forgotten in india like ford mondeo, mitsubishi lancer, and fiat palio...many others,..!!
  10. Viny

Viny Esperto

jaydev,
    When FIAT launched the cars (Linea/Punto) in India they had specific tensile strength requirement for a given gauge . Unfortunately in India they could not source the required tensile strength for the given guage, as a result they have to use a heavy gauge metal sheets to gain tensile strength to start with which means adding more weight to car then they initially desired off. They launched 1.3 Linea MJD weighing 1291Kg in India where as globally they had same product weighing 1230-1260Kg of weight.

In mean while they worked with there suppliers to improve the tensile strengths and thus a result the new cars that you see now have lost around 60-80kgs of there kerb weight (not entirely because of reduced metal weight). Current version of 1.3 MJd comes around 1210Kg

For further clarifications you can always write down to Mr. Aashish Bhardwaj, Product Manager Linea

Did I ever said being light weight means better qualified against FIAT, these are you assumptions. What I was trying to convey was FIAT was not able to produce the cars in same aspect as it was doing in other parts of world as the vendors could not provide the same level of products. Hence there where some initial hicups. They worked upon this and now we can see the results.