1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What FIAT needs to do to sell more

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Right said Atul, Its the responsibility of the owner to take proper care of the car, ofcourse i dont say that FIAT is 100% in QUALITY INSPECTION. Missing monograms are quite common scene now a days, now we can also trace cars with the missing alphabets :uh
  2. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    why cant Fiat Italy take over its indian arm, get young and fresh people to check the dripping sales figures. wonder what Accenture is doing all this time. TFIans are more enthusiastic and full of fresh ideas which may help Fiat India get out of the present situation.
  3. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    right said sumit, Fiat Italy should take such lead step in the marketing statergy.
  4. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I hate to sound like a broken record but until Fiat positions it's cars correctly, understands it's target buyer's and educates the aam janta about what a Fiat TRUELY is, their sales will struggle.

They started off with the tag line BE BOLD for the Punto. The first advt's voice over said some brilliant things, unfortunately in a visual medium, most people only see what's in front of their eyes and all they saw was Yuvraj driving the car aimlessly. Fiat faltered by not flashing features of the car on the screen. Anyway, what happened to the BE BOLD tagline? Suddenly, Fiat abandoned it and to be honest they could have brialliantly built the Punto brand on that tag line. Today however, what does the Punto stand for? Mileage? Power? family hatchback? single guy or DINK hatchback? Nobody knows!

With new cars being launched - Polo and Etios Liva - Fiat has a MAJOR disconnect with the buyers. Today someone that wants a hatchback goes to Hyundai (i20) and even VW (Polo) but doesn't even consider the Punto because he simply isn't aware a car like that exists in the market.
  5. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    whats is so disheartening to see is that Fiat India is doing nothing. neither is it positioning its cars properly nor does it want to connect with people. dont know what do they want. Fiat India is already crippled by a JV with Tata Motors. who are pushing only nano, vista & aria. they themselves are not making any efforts to bring back Fiat on top.

it seems Fiat India doesnt want to sell their cars. they wud rather like their cars to get rotten in their stockyard. they are happy and satisfied with sales figures they have right now. they are wasting so much money by hiring Accenture who seems to be writing a book about fiat's sales figures. they have so many fresh ideas here from so many enthusiastic Fiat lovers. but the problem is that will they ever listen or hear us.

ITS REALLY HIGH TIME FIAT ITALY SHUD TAKE OVER ITS INDIAN ARM.
  6. rameshjoshi

rameshjoshi Amatore

Pune
    Here is my discussion with the sales manager of Maruti cars who used to come with a different car for each day of a particular week in my company.

Me: What's the price of the new Estillo?
    Him: XXXX and it is going to increase soon.
    Me: Is it? Strange! Considering Toyota is going to bring a sedan in the 5 Lac segment, who would go for an Estillo?
    Him: There is difference regarding quality of cars between Toyota and Maruti.
    Me: Yes, I know that. Toyota is a world leader and way ahead of Maruti.
    Him: Oh, no I am saying Indian customer's mentality is different.
    Me: Correct. They prefer a sedan to a hatchback even if it is having bare essential accessories.
    Him: They prefer good service. Maruti is having the biggest service network.
    Me: Sure, it does. (And I did not want to embarass him otherwise I would have talked about whyy cars like Punto and Polo do not need service as frequently as a maruti does, why safety features in a fiat are much better than a maruti and so on. ).

My question is, if I as a customer know these facts, why is Maruti still so aggressive with low quality products and why Fiat is lagging behind with such superb quality products? Why is there no "eat your competitor" spirit in fiat? I am not sure how much the maruti sales person might have sold, but atleast he created some interest among bystanders. Why can't fiat do this?
  7. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    There is a difference here. The number of people who are aware about cars are usually found on internet forums seeking, distributing and sharing whatever knowledge they have. Let's do a bit of extrapolation for cars other than Fiat. Frankly speaking I have not seen many Maruti or owners to be internet savvy and be part of any forum. Simple extrapolation depending upon of number of cars sold per month would mean that a very small percentage of Maruti owners are onto internet and sharing their thoughts.

The same can be said about other manufacturers as well barring Fiat. Whatever Indian auto forums I have visited, I have found Fiat users to be amongst most well informed about their cars. Now let me take a simple case. My sister owns an Alto and she typifies an auto customer who buys a car not on merit but on hearsay and general public perception. She doesn't know anything about cars and at every simple problem, she just takes it to the service center. If it was "hamara bajaj" it would've been taken to any road side mechanic. The point is that the average customer does not want to be bothered about what is under the hood or behind the dash board. This is why Maruti is very successful and it has taken them more than three decades to achieve this.

At small places, there is zero awareness about Fiat as a company and their products. Even if a dealership is present, the general thought process is "achhi gaadi hai par pata nahin kaisi hogi", means the guys don't want to put their money on a unproven horse. The public perception for Fiat has been further spoilt by the Uno fiasco, Palio mileage debacle and worst of all, Premier Padmini (no offence) lineage.

Fiat has to invest and invest heavily in perception management. They have to bring in the public perception about Fiat providing good VFM cars with most modern features with special emphasis on "kitna deti hai" brigade. Ten variants of two cars are not helping matters either.
  8. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    FIAT buyers are more informative and conscious buyers. unlike others (the general mass segment Maruti/Tata/Hyundai) who just buy and look for re-sale value, Fiat buyers look for long term association with their CARs. I would say FIAT is just surviving because of this class of customers.

Coming back to the main topic - Remove Rajeev Kapoor and bring in some dynamic CEO who has vision and see the things working for Fiat. May be a joint CEO of Ex Maruti Chairman / DC who is passionate about cars might really do some good.

Second point is, FIAT top brass must seriously think about the step treatment to Fiat cars from TATA Dealers as pointed out by some forum members and i have read these stories on internet on many number of websites. I personally did not experience this tough.

If FIAT is unable to make profits out of India, it is in good interest of FIAT to wind off from INDIA!!! There is no point as a firm to continue as a loss making firm - especially in a country like India where we see growth growth growth
  9. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    I don't think Rajeev Kapoor is the problem. Problem lies at Fiat Spa Italy. They have just emerged from a long drawn battle with unions in Turin. That is the primary focus for Fiat along with Chrysler assimilation. India comes pretty low on agenda. I reckon with Turin troubles behind them, Merchione might turn the heat on emerging market (India).
  10. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    he is spot on!