1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What FIAT needs to do to sell more

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    today going thro one of the forums i found these suggestions. i think they r right in many ways.

1. Black beige interiors lift from Linea.
    2. Chrome grill & also add more chrome in interiors( Indians love Chrome)
    3. Change gear box. If possible opt for Indica's one. I feel Vista is peppy.
    4. Standardize 90 MJD across variants. Punto 76 bhp shud be priced at the current Palio Stile MJD price.
    5. Bring ABS as option in Dynamic variant( To attack Swift VDi ABS squarely)
    6. Improve Fit & Finish by leaps & bounds.
    7. Make the spare parts availablity in Queued format from Fiat India's HQ.
    8. Market it very effectively. Rope in a Super Celebrity to Promote this.
    9. Bring a Multi Air if Posssible TJet 1.2L Petrol
    10. If possible, reduce Turning Radius.
    11. This might sound funny, but still. Instead of getting money for giving MJD to Maruti, get K Series engine with Gear Box for every MJD sold to Maruti.
  2. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

madras
    Re: whats Punto needs to sell more.

Here are my 2cents. I'm restricting it to 75bhp version since 90bhp is targeted towards enthusiasts.

What a common man does as soon as he enters the car?
    He is going to check the interiors. A neat looking interiors with neat fit and finish will make a good first impression. Fiat - get this absolutely right. Remember, first impression is the best impression.

What he does once he fires the engine?
    He is going to move the car and check how good the NVH is. So get the gear ratios correct. A layman is not going to understand that the short first two gears are designed for better fuel efficiency. What he does instead? As his experience with the other cars he drove, he tries to push the car to 20kmph in the first gear and to 40kmph in the second gear. What he experiences? The car doesnt move beyond 10kmph in the first gear and 20kmph in the second gear, but he still tries to push it further and ends up getting a big roar from the engine. What he feels? The car is a dud no with pick up at all and the engine is noisy.
    So, change the gear ratios.

What he does after completing the TD?
    He gets back to the shop and expects a good communication from the sales team. So have a perfect sales team in the lounge.

What he does after going home?
    He calls up his friends and relatives to get an opinion to make his decision. Fiat has no control on this one. But if they get the first three in place, the last one will fall in place automatically.
  3. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    Re: what Punto needs to sell more.

i think u r right cliffhanger. common indian always wants to bargain. if figo and polo can sell , why not Punto. Fiat have been looking for a Palio substitute for so long. i think if they can place Punto FGT (76 HP) as entry level car it shud do wonders for the common ppl. say the Punto Active 1.3 MJD , FGT is around 4.5 lakhs ex-showroom more ppl can aspire to buy it. Punto VGT in 5 lakhs plus category makes more sense. due to past ppl r little hessitant in putting their hard earned in Fiat .
  4. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai

Interesting topic although it has been done to death many times. What's the point of us racking our heads over this if the manufacturer's are not intrested?

Dont think it will help in anyway. Again, most people on forums crib over beige interiors and when a car doesn't have them they start asking for it!

The 75hp variant is sold in Europe too. When people don't have problems driving that car on the autobahns then what problem we Indians have in driving this variant on our 'highway's?

I feel ABS and 2 Airbags should be there across variants.

Agreed.

It's not that easy. There is a big weight difference between the Maruti's and Fiat's. The K series isn't going to perform as well in the Fiat's as in Maruti's. It's like saying put the Fiat 1.2 in a Ritz. Even with 65hp the Ritz will feel sprightly and peppy to drive.
  5. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger

i just hope and pray that Fiat India or Italy listenes. Punto 1.2 T-Jet and Punto FGT at Palio Stile MJD price shud it make it the best deals. Fiat shud try to reach to the average indian ppl or else all the brilliant engines, technologies and cars wud be of no use. Fiat can do it, coz it supplies MJD and FIRE engines to so many other companies.
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai

Except for Point 7 & to some extent Point 6, I do not think any other point would make any difference in Sales much.
    e.g. How many customers decide against buying Linea/ Punto because of all other points mentioned above? Very very few. Most do not buy because of the risk, Fiat's perception/ image, A.S.S. issues, Parts availability etc etc. To that extent my list goes as below:

• Parts availability - Must be spot-on.[/*:m:3v7xj4wp]
    • Stringent Quality Control - customer visits to TASS must be rare (complements 15K service intervals) - Must not have to visit TASS frequently for small small items.[/*:m:3v7xj4wp]
    • Customer must come out of TASS DELIGHTED....ALWAYS....No exception in this for atleast 1-2 years[/*:m:3v7xj4wp]

This will ensure to wipe off the earlier baggage Fiat carries which is preventing people to take a plunge. This is 1st & top-most priority right now. Everything else would follow for incremental sales.
  7. Maverickxx2006

Maverickxx2006 Amatore

Pune

I think the problem mostly does not lie with the car. For Punto, FIAT is already offering a huge list of 10 variants (1.2=3, 1.4=3,1.3 =3 and 90hp). Compare that with Maruti or Hyundai for any model. Compare the quality. There is simply no competetion for Punto.

Problem lies with the perception of Punto and shoddy service by Tata. Tatas are doing a pathetic job in marketing the FIAT vehicles. I'm suprised by the aggresive marketing of Tata vehicles though. Advts of Vista almost appears daily in Pune mirror.

There will be endless demands for Punto on interior options, engine variants etc etc.

If the service and marketing is done well, I think rest will follow.

These are my views.
  8. arichakra

arichakra

Kolkata

'cliffhanger' has pointed it correct. It seems that Fiat is not interested in India at all!
  9. Vroom

Vroom Amatore

Mumbai

Just wondering on a larger scale:

We have innumerable minor (only) niggles with Linea and Punto like Rattles, squeaks, plastic parts falling off (if they do), bad finish etc etc. I am just wondering very very objectively without being bitchy, do the other cars just not have these problems?? Or if they do, are they in a smaller scale compared to Linea and Punto? The other folks are surely doing something correct that Fiat is not.

If the above is not true and Fiat products are at par (or better) than others in the market, then its the market forces at play. Some things are going to happen when they will, no amount of pushing / prodding by Fiat is going to increase sales of these two cars.

I was always under the impression that Punto is a product where most people in India are unaware of and thus is a major factor in not selling large numbers. But Figo seems to indicate otherwise as it caught the buyers eyes quite quickly.

I guess Fiat will have to live till the day these positive forces come to its rescue.

Vroom
  10. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger

Fiat India shud be more independent in the JV. it just cannot let Tata dictate terms with it. be it sales, service or marketing .i think thats the one imp thing. a bit more aggressive and assertive approach is needed. tata needs Fiat as much as Fiat needs tata.