1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What do they do with these cars?

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by clevermax, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Yesterday I got a call from my colleague at 1 PM -

"Hey Radio Mirchi is conducting some inter-company competitions inside techno-park and we are now on to round 3 where someone needs to drive a Punto! Can you do that for our company's team?"

I was like :wow and without thinking, I said Yes, and started started driving to techno-park in a matter of 5 minutes.

Reached the venue, and saw a big crowd standing in a ground near our office. There was a driving challenge going on. There is this track through which you need to drive a brand new Punto 90 hp and it is a timed one. Hitting any pole, going out of track, or engine stalling - you're out.

The track looked like this:
    [attachment=0:11szsfb5]Challenge.png[/attachment:11szsfb5]

There is no way you can drive a Punto without engaging reverse gear several times. each and every zig zag requires at least to reverses. I stood there, watching how one participant from each company drove the car - it was horrible, as the air was filled with the burning smell of clutch of a new car! One guy who drove the car was a driver by profession and he smoked the clutch to the extent that people had to step afar to avoid the foul smell.

Our chance was the last but one, and I also did my share of clutch burning. :steering Till then, the minimum time was 2 minutes 45 seconds, and I could do it with 2 minutes 50 seconds. :dance

[attachment=1:11szsfb5]DSC09545.JPG[/attachment:11szsfb5]

[attachment=2:11szsfb5]DSC09544.JPG[/attachment:11szsfb5]

The pole at the far end is a tree itself, and one guy managed to dent one of the rear doors of the car very badly by hitting the tree while taking the U turn.

I wonder what the dealership (Mohandas motors Trivandrum) is gonna do with this new car. May be it will be a test drive vehicle, but chances are that it will be sold to an unsuspecting customer as a brand new car.

DSC09544.JPG

DSC09545.JPG

Challenge.png
  2. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have seen TD vehicles from Marutis and Hyundais with number plates, why cant there be one for Fiats as well at their dealership. It will increase the confidence of a potential buyer doing a test drive.
  3. @Pran: using a TD vehicle for this purpose is perfectly fine... but this one seemed more like a new car straight from the yard, than a TD vehicle. TD vehicle mostly will have some stickers on right..

That was not a track meant for a Grande Punto having 5 meters turning radius. They should have had wider tracks with more separation between the poles that allows one to drive without taking reverse, this putting more pressure on the time to finish. This was more like a dexterity test on how fast one can operate the gear lever :A
  4. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I agree with clevermax. TD vehicle has to be clearly marked so with stickers.

More : test drive vehicle is legally required to have a registration number. It is registered either in the dealership's name or the parent company's name. (eg : Tata Fiat)

It does seem like this particular car will be passed on to an unsuspecting customer.

Best thing to do in situations like these : Note down the engine and chassis number and float it on as many forums as possible.
  5. I couldn't do that but I have the temp. registration number in a photograph.. Will post it here. (Not sure if it can help identify this car later at the dealership at all.) Anyway, prospective buyers of 90 hp BNW Punto from Mohandas Motors, beware! :irked
  6. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So effectively what it has done is the stupid dealers promoted the difficulty in having a comparatively larger turning radius. :A
  7. Yes.. people watching the whole feat would definitely talk about that. :mad I overheard someone saying "Give me a Swift and I'll do that very easily" and someone else saying "They're asking to drive a Punto through a track meant for Nano!"
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    :confused How stupid can they be ::O