1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What could have been better ?

Discussion in 'Team Fiat Meets' started by amogh, Dec 7, 2010.

1. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys,

As you all know the factory meet was a "FIRST" for everybody at TFI. It was a big event for us with so many cars and members joining (60 and 125 respectively) Sandeep, Manoj & I tried our level best to make sure all the pieces are in the right place. For me, personally, it was a big challenge right from selecting the meet venue, parking, logistics, route to Ranjangaon, getting the banners and flags made, planning the way cars would leave the hotel, bookings and logistics for outstationg members and finally the t-shirts !! Similarly for Sandeep & Manoj, taking care of the logistics for Mumbai guys, getting the Fiat stickers, making sure the stickers are on the car, designing the banners etc.

But I am sure there are things that we missed. So now we want to have your sincere feedback. Let us know what you liked and most importantly what you DID NOT like. Frankly speaking, nobody from the moderators group is an expert in event management. We were only using our common sense.

What would you like to see / have so that your experience for such meets would be better ? I am not restricting this discussion only to a "Factory Meet". Tomorrow we might plan for an all India meet !! (In fact I remember this idea was thrown by someone during our Google Group days !!)

So please : feel free to post your views here.

I have created this thread in the meet section because we are only going to discuss how to make TFI meets better.

Amogh
  2. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    Amogh - the logistics for the meet was taken care very professionally. I was not aware that you had worked on selecting the VITS as the location as I had a feeling that it was FIAT's choice of location.

Things that could have improved is the co-ordination between the travel from VITS to the factory. We should have gone in groups of probably 5 cars and all the members of the groups should ensure that they are together. With the Pune traffic we had lost our way but thanks to the Google Maps and GPS I was able to join back on time.

Another thing was introduction of the Team members - This was my first meet and I knew no one and it always help if we have a small introduction session when ever we meet for the new members or for the old members who have short memory (like me) and difficulties in remembering the names.

My two bits
  3. HarishSegar

HarishSegar

Mumbai
    First, let me mention that the meet itself was very well organized and well coordinated. I am sure you guys must have let go of all other work and put in effort to this event.

Couple of points i noted during the event which could make the event better. Again, none of these were issues as such, just some points which i feel will help improve the event.
    1. Think about delegating. It was just 3 people coordinating a large event. Maybe more help would have lightened the load.
    2. Mumbai meeting time was 6am. As at 6:30, i could still see cars arriving at McDonalds. We need a bit more time sense here from everyone.
    3. An introduction session / interactive session would have helped in everyone getting to know the other.
    4. This is again just my view - The hotel selection could have been somewhere around Vimannagar. That way, the pune guys dont have to drive in opposite direction and also, mumbai guys would have driven across the city at 8am in lesser traffic. We could have reached the factory a lot earlier.

Some annoyances - This i was definitely annoyed about.

I noticed many driving rashly through expressway, within Pune and from Pune to Ranjangaon. The exact kind of example we wouldnt want to set. This needs some thinking through. If one of our cars get involved in an accident, its the group & FIAT which would get a bad name. Can we do better convoy control?
  4. amogh

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks !! Yeah had to take a couple of days off from work

Yeah : we realised the same albeit late. I therefore designated andy to take care of the t-shirts distribution and he did a great job. MihrC and vks also chipped in.

Hopefully those who came late are reading this. This is beyond anyone's control

The problem here was parking space. Single largest reason why VITS was chose was the enormous amount of parking space it offered. No other hotel had THAT amount of parking space. Also "cost" was a major criteria. In fact, my first plan was to meet at the factory directly.

Some annoyances - This i was definitely annoyed about.

This is outright ridiculous. Who was this ? You can PM me the details
  5. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    The only thing I really missed was an introduction session for TFI members. Imagine after a meet of 125 members, you barely "met" 10-12 of them. :cry:
    I too would have enjoyed taking up some load off you but I guess, the effort required for getting me in place wouldn't be worth it. ::V
    But overall it was well organized and a really good job done ::T
  6. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    1. I wish there was more focus on the Events that happened in the PLANT and less discussions on the drive from VITS to PLANT.

2. Official - TFI and FIAT discussion report.

3. A detailed report - Thread in TFI about the events that happened and Permitted pics of PLANT!

4. Such Meets can be more often and FIAT need not be very FORMAL during the visits.. I mean no return gift or free fuel is needed.

5. And, was Dec-3rd Meet a TFI factory Meet or a General Fiat Plant Meet?
  7. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    The Dec 3rd Drive from VITS to Plant was good. But I guess it was very hectic to control and organize the crowd and also to manage the drive.

Instead, the Meet can start in the Plant parking lot itself. If FIAT has said 10:30am is the Scheduled Meet Start time, all Member should reach the Plant by MAX 9am. This time should be followed very strictly and no late comers should be allowed.
  8. amogh

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Frankly speaking : what we saw at the plant cannot be put down in words. And photographs were not allowed inside the plant. Most members were overwhelmed seeing the sheer size of the plant. I mean you have to see for yourself how an engine goes into the car, how a gear box is manufactured, how the spot welding is done, how panels are fitted, how the robotic arms move etc etc. I can go on and on and write a million words. Still it won't be a match to what you SEE IN REAL !!

In fact, if just words and reports were enough : why visit the plant ?

There was no "official" discussion between TFI and FIAT. A lot of it were informal discussions and one on one chats.

Again : same response as Point 1.

More often is not possible : since when there are so many visitors you disturb the routine work at the plant. The officials get busy attending the visitors rather than concentrating on their normal job. Once in a year is fine. And why should Fiat not be formal ? In fact, if you notice, it was the formal behaviour that received praise from all those who attended. Had Fiat been very casual and "thankless", I am sure bashing would have started by now. Return gift or free fuel is "thank you" gesture. I see nothing wrong in it.

TFI Factory meet. I know what makes you ask this question. It would have been an open invitation to ALL had it been a general meet.
  9. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    @Admin.
    Everything else was properly managed , It was indeed a good job done by the Trio , Barring TFI Members don't know each other !

Atul
  10. HarishSegar

HarishSegar

Mumbai
    I dont think they were formal in the interaction at all. The interactions were very casual. The only bit of formality they mantained was in ensuring we went back happy. End of the day remember, to them, we are customers and that is very important. Step back and look at your place of work. If you have visitors from abroad, how do you treat them? ::O Why should this be any different?