1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What all things can make a tubeless tyre lose pressure?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by renlouis, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I remember how I got damaged alloy wheel due to the pothole.if it was steel rim it might have broken into pieces.Even on small potholes also rim gets bent, where alloy wheel just glides.Due to my one alloy wheel damage I bought 4 steel rims. I have to buy now one alloy wheel asap, tention free drive on bad roads as well. Fiat alloy wheels are more weight than steel rim.
  2. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Does an over inflated tyre running over potholes bend steel rims?
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nopes, overinflated helps Rims as the impact is taken care by tires and getting self damaged resulting into sidewall crack or puncture or even valve stem leak.That too very rare.if air pressure is less you know the impact to the rims .
    asimpleson likes this.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Two more areas where I think air pressure can drop is
    1) Faulty valve
    2) Damaged rubber (due to wear n tear, not punctures).
  5. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, but I checked the valves and found no air leak. Are you saying valves that don't leak may leak when tyre is rolling?

I have the aceleres new and so I guess there is no damaged rubber.
  6. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    First Over inflate to 45 PSI. Remove the alloy and put it inside a tub of water. Watch for bubbles from the contact patch, if not present, then move to mouth, rubber seating in inner and outer side of the alloy. If you don't find any leaks or bubbles in these areas, you need to carefully check for small bubbles sticking to the side walls of the tyre. Break all the bubbles sticking in the side wall and watch after an hour whether any new bubbles are sticking to it. Then try it on the other side as well.

If new bubbles are coming in, then please call for a warranty claim.
  7. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well guys, as the next step I examined the rear left tyre for any embedded nails and broken or bend rim edges on both sides; nothing found.

So this evening I checked tyre pressures again; I expected the suspected rear left tyre to show good drop in pressure than other three. But what I saw it had 2 PSI more than others, all has around 24 PSI. I am convinced now that such a drop of about 8 PSI made the rear tyres squeal on quick lane change in my last trip (mentioned in the first part). So my concern of air leak of that rear tyre goes away for the time being. Will be watching again.

But another surprise arises -
    with in a month how pressure of all the 4 tyres dropped from 32 PSI to around 24? I don't think all my new tyres have any issue of losing pressure of 10 PSI in a month; since when I checked for the first time there were no such drop; I remember there was only a slight drop of only 2 PSI after a month cruising on good highway roads at high speeds.

What makes me think is one 100 km trip (3 weeks back) where for a stretch of 20km, at an average of every 100meters interval the road is broken with huge pits (deep enough to get in and sleep in it :hilarious:) and potholes over which one cannot ride more than at 10kmph. I had heard somewhere (not sure this really happens) that while moving over such pathetic roads even at slowest speeds sometimes causes air to escape through momentary gaps between the tyre bead and rim bead seat. What are your views on this? :) I'm new to tubeless tyres and so bear with me if you see my question a blunder. :D
  8. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I would like to share my experience with inflating from different air stations -

From the tyre shop I bought tyres from, they should have overinflated to around 38PSI where the ride became considerably stiffer and braking distance increased.

I mentioned about losing about 10PSI in a month in my above post; actually that machine at the fuel pump should have under-inflated the tyres to around 29PSI, where I felt like I'm traveling in a boat (to-fro-to movement) on quick acceleration and on quickly releasing the A pedal. Also heard tyre squeals in emergency lane changes. Finally when checked I see pressure on all 4 tyres shown around 24PSI. So I suspect losing pressure of about 4PSI in above mentioned 100km trip, and normal loss of about 1PSI a month.

When I filled air yesterday from the second machine from the same fuel pump, I feel contented where I don't see boat like behavior or stiffness while riding. Tired of these air pumps!
  9. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    Don't rely on them; get a reliable tyre pressure guage for yourself and ckeck the tyre pressure yourself in a month or fifteen days.
    rakesh kushwaha and renlouis like this.
  10. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes definitely, I am looking to buy one digital guage by Michelin from amazon or ebay even though the price can go a little more around 1700. At least I can use it to verify whenever I change air pumps or periodically verify pump's accuracy every time spare tyre is inflated.