1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What all things can make a tubeless tyre lose pressure?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by renlouis, Sep 17, 2014.

1. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Friends, I recently upgraded my Punto's tyres to Aceleres 195/60R15 88 H tubeless tyres on 15" Linea rims. When checked air pressure after 3 weeks of purchase I saw about 4 PSI of pressure was less in the rear left tyre than other 3. I topped up all to recommended pressure 32PSI. I checked to see any leak through valve stems and found all are fine :cool:.

Again after 3 weeks, I had to do one quick lane change like driving to left just at 40kmph and heard tyre-squeal sound from rear :eek:; still the car handled well :cigar:. I guess tyre squeals may also due to insufficient air pressure. Now I'm in doubt that rear left tyre may have some sort of manufacturing defect that contributes air pressure loss. I am also afraid that I saw one member in this forum mentioned about defective aceleres where air loss happens through sidewalls :dead:.

Can you guys specifiy what all things contribute to air pressure loss when the car is at rest and motion and also any manufacturing defects? :(

I will be checking the air pressure of all four tyres this weekend.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I can think of only 2 reasons for tyre pressure loss
    1. Puncture/s
    2. Bent Rim

Though 4 PSI, in 3 weeks is not a bad loss, but other 3 tyres is not loosing anything so get above 2 things checked. Sometime small puncture/s creates some air loss.
    renlouis likes this.
  3. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If its a bent rim, can we confirm by looking closely on both sides Or have to remove the tyre and examine? Is this something that I can do if removing tyre is not required?
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    See if bent is bigger, air loss might be more, but have a look and see if it is visible.
    Or better, don't worry much, next time when you do alignment and balancing, get it checked properly.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Fiat rims are of cheap quality, don't deserves the standards of punto.
  6. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    :blackeye:
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Not the plain steel ones I guess. So Ganges, do you think they should make them with magnesium alloy + steel pressed on the outer edges.. :confused: ;)
  8. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It seems those spare wheels given for punto emotion is pressed steel not Linea's regular steel wheels.

At the shop where I purchased new tyres must have overinflated them. I felt stiff ride and experienced stiffness in braking too in return trip. Before returning I asked him who did all the work and he said he inflated tyres to 32. I doubt the pump at the shop not calibrated recently inflated to about 38 PSI.

When I first checked after 3 weeks all tyres except rear left had about 37PSI instead of around 32; and rear left one had about 33PSI. Probably if bend rim is causing air loss then it would have caused by running over potholes in overinflated condition :banghead::banghead: Is there a chance for such a damage?
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No mate I want a wheel which gives me safe night journey. I was stranded on highway in dark night with family on two ocassions.Alloys are the best.Stay away from the Steel rims. I don't know how the other cars run on steel rims.Fiat steel rims are very delicate . I'm thinking about the speed limit for the spare wheel.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Refilling and wait and watch or rim/tyre inspection is the way forward as Ravi suggested about small puncture. Tyrewalas here suggest tubes if rim bent is nominal and it makes things simpler. But not many will agree to such quick fixes.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 17, 2014 ---
    I got to see more damaged alloys, also some personal experience over potholes, therefore the perception about those rims (outer edge of alloys). Contrary to that the Linea Steel Rims 15"ones have been solid, perhaps some rough experience could change perception a bit, but there are sometimes roads around big pot holes in Mumbai to test further our claims.. :p
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014