1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Welcoming "Dynowhite": Our new Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Dynamic

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Pauleralil, Nov 13, 2012.

1. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This stretch is good with green all around. Few places appears very deserted. Thats it. Else one would enjoy the drive through the forest.
  2. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

Kochi/Bangalore
    Desmodronic Key breaks into 2 pieces..

Man first instance of poor quality I faced from FIAT and this is gonna surprise many.

The desmodronic key ( foldable type) broke off today with half of key stuck in the ignition. This happened when one of our family friend was trying to move my car from the porch to park it outside. I had a harrowing time trying to explain the situation to FIAT RSA while customer care did respond quickly. So did Hyson Motors.

Sadly, FIAT RSA did offer any mobile assistance and instead offered a Towing vehicle to take my car to the Hyson Motors. The shocking part was they clearly said that in case the bumper and Radiator get damaged while towing they are not responsible:evil:.I felt like :punch them as it was just a 5 months old car. How can they say that they are not responsible. They should atleast try to provide a technician to check out the situation. When i requested them to send someone came the next :uh They said they are not authorized to send a technician from Authorized service centers. Then Why is there a RSA at all..

End of the day Hyson SA advised a method which ultimately helped to pull the part of the key stuck in Ignition keyhole.
    Now i will have to take the spare key in Bangalore to get the vehicle started mostly on Saturday.

Is it possible to get the key replaced under warranty as i feel this happened due to poor quality of the key( not sure how many of you will agree).
    Hyson SA has asked me to bring the broken key to analyze if they can claim it under warranty as the vehicle is just 5 months old
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  3. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Hi Pauleralil, Thats really sad to listen to you experience.
    This is the first time iam hearing about such a thing about the key broken and stuck in the key fob.
    I felt thekey to be of good quality but therez always an exception (now which one is it) or may be its just me.

Iam not sure if this is covered under warranty but since the vehicle is new you could put some pressure and key broken is not acceptable!!
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Maybe I am assuming too much here. You say your friend tried to move the car. Was he aware of double crank prevention? However, even if he did not, that is not enough reason for the key to break, unless it had suffered earlier damage and could not stand up to the pressure.

In the past, I have had broken cabinet keys, that I have successfully removed with a pair of nose pliers. Care to share how you managed to do it? I am sure the key has to be covered in the warranty and can be replaced FOC. After all, it broke into two with one half stuck inside the mechanism. That is clearly a manufacturing defect.

All the best with the warranty claim.

Rajan
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    RSA normally does send mechanic if they figure out if some small issues like battery drainage or tyre puncture. I am guessing RSA person might not have understood the situation correctly or he/she might not be sure if mechanic can fix this.

This is the first case of this type I am reading. My foldable key has fallen number of times to all kind of surfaces, and certainly the quality is good. But for your case unless the pressure applied by your friend is toooo much, it must be quality issue.
  6. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

Kochi/Bangalore
    False Alarm- Desmodronic Key is working fine. Sorry for misleading

the whole day me, my family and ppl around my house have been breaking our heads thinking how a key could break in the key fob.. No one including me, SA at hyson could believe what had happened. I am in bangalore now and I had to believe my dad who informed me the key broke inside the ignition key hole and everybody including me went behindFIAT, HYSON and next steps to get the vehicle moved/towed/ removing the broken key etc without thinking about basics... The story took a twist when my brother landed up after office all worried about what had happened..On inspection he found the key was safely folded :D and they had broken my office cabinet key which was put along with the key chain..Thank GOD they could remove that broken chip from the ignition key fob.

Our neighbor who was trying to help my dad to park the car outside didn't know about the desmodronic foldable key feature of Fiat and he simple assumed by cabinet key as the one to use. I still dont understand how he could misunderstand this simple fact as he has swift and wagon R at his place. On top of this even my dad forgot abt this simple thing and everybody was just focused on the broken key inside the key fob..

Today was hell off day and I made some ppl's lives also hell with my distress calls :) Sorry for the false alarm and doubting fiat on the quality :)

Anyways day ends well.
  7. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    hahahahahaha, reading your post at the first i was surprised how could a Strong Forged Metal Key break???????
    But after reading your last post i was like:evilsmile:evilsmile:evilsmile

Just show your Neighbour the Key and all the features of the FIAT, might be he will be :eek:, and gets home a FIAT:-D,

Just tell him move away from the Herd and be someone SPECIAL:cool:, Like US
  8. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Hmm thats a big false alarm, i guess even FIAT and Hyson guys must have been wondering what happened!! ;)
  9. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

Kochi/Bangalore
    Big Sorry for misleading info.. Even i was shocked hearing that the key broke and in that state i didnt have sense to think of any other scenario..

Just think how my reaction would have been on hearing this.. We all were laughing at the whole incident and by god me and my dad got so many ppl involved..FIAT RSA, FIAT Customer Car, Hyson FASS ( 2 SA's ), Concorde- Kochi, a Local mechanic,a watch repairing guy and few workers at our house. I was amused by the fact that our friend couldn't recognize a car key and cabinet key.. and really couldn't complain much as he was trying to help save my car getting dirty from the painting work at my porch. He was genuinely trying to help.

It took me 15-20 mins explaining to convince him that indeed the key had broken:) Even when my mother told me that the broken key was too small, it din't click me. I asked her to press the button and open the foldable part and try matching with the remaining portion of the key, and for the rest of her day she was trying to figure out from where portion of the key had broken :confused

All confusion ended at night 10 when my brother showed up. It was really tensed up day for everybody in my family....

Anyways it all ended well and i swore to myself not believe anyone without analyzing in person
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  10. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

Kochi/Bangalore
    couple of days back, my punto ended up with a flat on the front RHS. While i was jacking up to change the Front wheel, I heard some weird noise from the rear RHS like something getting released after being stuck. Could this sound be from the suspension?

Later tried shaking up the car and i could hear the same noise from the rear. Anyone else faced this?

The car also has a faulty central lock on the front RHS door and this 2nd time in last 1 year of ownership. The RHS door does not lock using the remote nor does the auto lock above 20KM work. I had to manually lock the car every time. Earlier this issue resolved on its own and i dint bother showing it up at the SC. Now again facing this issue for past 1 month and I got this inspected at Vecto a week back and they agreed to do rectify this.

Since yesterday, This issue is not there! I am totally confused now as this is the 2nd time such a thing is happening.

Anyways Leaving my car at Vecto tomorrow.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013