1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Weird steering problem in my new punto!

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by puntofreak, Feb 15, 2014.

1. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have travelled almost 3500 kms in last 1.5 months in my new punto without any issues. Today I found an unusual problem. I was travelling from Bhubaneswar to Cuttack (around 30kms). After reaching Cuttack, I parked my car and went for some personal work. Then I had to travel another 60 kms.

After finishing my work when I started my car, I felt something wrong with the steering. I found it loose. I felt it like disconnected from the wheels. I could turn the steering easily though the wheels were stationary :eek:. Then I turned the key to stop position, everything seemed fine. The steering felt heavy and normal. Again I started and tried to move the car. Even though I was turning the steering fully, the wheels turned slightly :eek:

I call fiat service at Bhubaneswar. They said this problem is like something new to them and asked me to drive the car to the service station. How could i drive a car on a highway as the steering was not working. I was nervous, but somehow I could manage to drive 30kms and it took almost 2 hrs as i was nervous. Reached Bhubaneswar when the service station was closed. Tomorrow I'll take the car to the service station again. Guys! any idea regarding this issue in a new car?
  2. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

BANGALORE
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Not sure about Punto but my friend's new figo has similar issue. The cause was, the steering belt came out of its position and hence the steering was loose and sometimes it was heavy as truck steering. He fixed it which costed him 3500 rupees with FORD. Check it with FASS, it seems same issue to me.
  3. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I got it rectified. Dont know how did they do it, but it is working fine now.

I have noticed one thing in this forum. Whenever you tell good things about Putno, your thread will be flooded with replies. But when it comes to demerits everybody keeps quiet. After reading forums I did bought a Punto, but now I am repenting. With in two months of buying I got steering problem. Now one tak tak sound comes while I change gears. For back gear I have to try twice or thrice to get it working. Rear wiper fell somewhere due to loose fitting etc. All these issue are really frustrating. I dont know if others write fake comments about punto, but it is certainly not a good buy for me :sadblue
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Relax Puntofreak,

Thats the not the case, its purely your perception. The forum is open for any issue to be discussed. The steering wheel issue which you mentioned in your post was unheard of, do you still want us to reply to your issue. It would have been helpful had you tried to find the actual issue and the resolvement from Fiat workshop and posted in the forum. It would have helped many. Regarding the other issues, had you brought to Fiat's notice whenever they occured? If so let us know what was Fiat's reponse. We could have guided you to proper channel for getting a quicker response to all your issues.

One kind request, pls dont use the forum to rant your repentance. If you seriously repent buying a Punto, I would suggest you to take the neccessary action.
    4 people like this.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @puntofreak,

We all buy Punto or FIAT coz we loved to and we chose to. Not because we had to. In your case and from your words, it just looks like u just made a blind decision and not because you loved it.

Even my car is 8k on ODO now and its been 6 months. The Steering rack piston had a leak. I reported to FASS and it was fixed. No car in this world comes without a problem. As ghodlur said, many of us would not have heard of many issues. That doesnt mean we neglect it. Please remember we are not FASS guys nor FIAT R&D team to know every issues with FIAT models.

Even i have a reverse gear problem of some tmes engaging twice, but it doesn't happen always nor that i use reverse gear all the time. So i am living with it though. yes its a known issues of the FIATs lousy gear box. Driving FIAT has more pleasure and fun and good feelings which certainly overcomes all these minor issues. It looks like you are not feeling that fun and pleasure.

Please take necessary action if you repent it soo much. I am sure some FIAT fan would be willing to buy your car, and you can certainly go for Swift or some thing.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You should have asked what was the issue and what they did. Just to make sure they did the correct thing.

Hope to see your active participation in all sorts of discussion.
    After buying, we would have expected your proper ownership thread, but you started this issue thread in ownership section.
    If there is no issues with Fiat cars, this forum will not exists :), it will become boring Japanese cars (of course reliable too). There is more to Fiat cars, than "fill it, shut it and forget it" tagline.
    Enjoy your Punto, all the issues are minor. Do spend sometime to search, all these things are discussed many times on forum.
    1 person likes this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It is obvious from your experience that you felt irate from your experience. Every once in a while even the best maintained cars too develop some weird issues, that takes time to solve, sometimes even by the experts at Fiat. And also at SKODA, or Mercedes or BMW or Landrover and all others. Your's is not the first and certainly not the last problem anyone ever faces.

Of lately Fiat has much improved and excelled in certain areas about their manufacturing, car design and customer service, spares pricing etc. Let me assure you that people at certain SCs may not be knowledgeable about certain issues in which case you can always escalate your issues to Fiat. So the next question is why go to forums then.

Everyone here has a couple of objectives, to share and gain experience and knowledge and enrich the site's content for benefit of the community. Please care to share what the fix was for steering issue with other members for posterity sake.

I see you haven't replied to SOOZ_P's reply posted next day. ;)

I request you to show the car to other SCs for opinion. Meanwhile if you don't want much more hassles, please shoot a mail to the SCs and Fiat Customer Service narrating your problems and the SCs reply. I guarantee you that for a new car like yours they will take your matters seriously if you go through email correspondance about your problems. And do post their replies here so that others can benefit as well. People here will reply more if they see your passion and psychological resilience to issues and your resolve to love and maintain your car inspite of all the tantrums it throws at you. :p

Regarding your TAK TAK sound from gear shifting it looks like a slave cylinder problem or maybe a clutch issue in worst case or maybe something much simpler, in whatever case why worry, your car is well in warranty and you will get new replacements for free and even labour waived off. Just make sure you carefully document or list your problems via email with Fiat and SCs and keep them emails safe for future correspondance. There is a customer service head and his/her email id in each FIAT ASC.

Best of Luck, and keep posting along with pics if possible and whatever the case, don't loose heart. :)
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    Dear puntofreak,

We are a community of people owning/admiring FIAT cars. I had been in the forum for the last 1.5 yrs approximately. Though I had never got time to start an elaborate ownership thread, the forum had been very helpful to me most of the time when it comes to issues. All you got to do is search the forum first and then post your queries if you are not able to find. People will reply if they feel they can help in the situation. If none could help, please take it to the FASS and get it resolved and post the resolution steps in the forum so that it can help others.

Regards,
    Vinod.
    1 person likes this.
  9. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi puntofreak,

Please let us know which one you own? It's Petrol or MJD. Which service center you contacted?
    This is real weird problem to hear or to learn.

I can assure that if this is a uncommon problem then definitely the same should be rectified asap. Also same should be communicated to FIAT india.

As this will help other fitians to help. And if this is a major flaw from FIAT, then FIAT has to rectify the same.

So please keep cool & let us know everything you faced.

Note: Please don't comment like TFians are not allowed any cons of FIAT cats. As all loves to say about Pros only.
  10. ashish.r.shinde@gmail.com

ashish.r.shinde@gmail.com Amatore

Vadodara , Nashik
    Vadodara , Nashik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    But this is really something serious issue .. steering not responding properly,, Imagine if this issue occurs at high speed , how one could control the car. And if it can happen in one car then the probability is , it can happen to any of our car also.. @Puntofreak please share with us what exactly went wrong in your car and how FASS rectified it , so that even we can have preventive check point in our car.