1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Weird starting problem of my linea multijet

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by dnyaneshdivekar, Apr 28, 2014.

1. dnyaneshdivekar

dnyaneshdivekar Timido

PUNE
    My multijet machine is giving starting trouble since last few months.I recently changed battery but problem persist.I have to give ignition 6-7 times every time then only it starts.whenever engine is hot after driving car for few kms problem is more, I have to wait for few minutes to cool it down.I really cant figure it out.
    I am planning to buy battery multimeter to check weather problem is in battery , alternator or starting motor.Can somebody guide me for this
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    ^^ There is a battery related thread on the forum. Please check the same.

Get the glowplugs checked first. There should be some warning indicator of glowplugs if not working well. Best to show SC. It could also be the alternator that is providing insufficient charge to battery. Please fix this issue at once or else the new battery will be damaged too in no time.
  3. dnyaneshdivekar

dnyaneshdivekar Timido

PUNE
    all clear changed all glow plugs 4-5 month back
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Then there could also be a parasitic current draw that is causing this.

But First step is to check alternator. Then battery. Please charge the new battery first at the battery shop or use another fully charged battery to run test. Via examiner also the battery voltage drop can be found which is a more accurate indicator of battery health.

Alternatively, ask them to check the glowplugs and pre-timer again.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Another simple test. Turn key to MAR and off position 2 or 3 times and then try to give self. That is also an indicator of glowplug related issue.
  5. dnyaneshdivekar

dnyaneshdivekar Timido

PUNE
    whats this pre timer?
    cant it be starting motor problem?
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I meant the glow plug timer. They should start and stop in time.

Cannot say for sure. However, it is indicating other problems in electricals. Get the car checked thoroughly at SC and post back reply.

Thanx.
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    To
    Dyaneshwar

How much old your MJD? Please update Odometer reading & year of manufacturing.

Is your starter motor is spinning with enough juice? If not then low current to starter or weak starter motor.
    If all electrical are fine then check ECU for any fuel pressure error. If pressure of CRi (High pressure pump) is low then you may face starting problem.
    If fuel pressure is low at engine crank then due to poor automization of fuel
    you may suffer starting problem. Check for compression pressure also.

You have mentioned that situation become worse at engine hot then
    possibility of faulty injectors also.
  8. dnyaneshdivekar

dnyaneshdivekar Timido

PUNE
    Bhai,
    Mine is June 2010 model and 50 k on odo.
    starter motor not atall spin on first 3-4 attempts
    however it starts suddenly on few occasions when i hold key between MAR and starting point. But when engine is hot it doesnt work.
    I have already consulted pandit auto for same but problem persist. They adviced me to change battery which i have already did
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Exactly my starter motor was also giving problem at engine hot. Replace the starter motor.
  10. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Yup. I had a diesel car 5 years back. It was running fine until it gave me a shock in full traffic one day. I stopped in railway level crossing somewhere in Khadki area (I was in Pune at that time). Train crossed in 5 minutes. I cranked the engine, no, it does not start! So much traffic was behind me. They started honking and shouting. Finally they left the place cursing me after I got out of the car and indicated it has a fault. It took 5-10 minutes by the time all this happened and the traffic cleared. I thought of trying my luck again. It started without any trouble this time. I thought of testing it again as soon as I reached home. I switched off the engine and tried to start the engine, it did not start! Wondering what is this trouble I thought of testing it in the morning. It started without trouble in the morning. Then I figured out it needs 10-15 minutes cooling for starting when the engine is hot. Service station changed the starter motor under warranty when I took the car to the service station. Since you have already changed glow plugs and battery, only suspect left is starter motor. One option is servicing the starter motor. I am not sure whether they change the winding or only the commutator in servicing - but some such servicing option is available. Please check with the service station if they offer any such option. If you are not comfortable with that or if that option is not available, then change the starter motor.
    2 people like this.