1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Weird sound from my Linea 1.4 FIRE

Discussion in 'Technical' started by OCTANE, Sep 3, 2013.

1. OCTANE

OCTANE Amatore

Cochin
    My linea is around 4 years old and has done 25000 kms till now. Today morning when I started my car I am hearing a distinct purring sound from the engine bay. It's loud enough to mistake it for a poorly maintained diesel car. Car was lying idle for the past one week and there wasn't any similar noise when I switched her off earlier. Although last day I did feel some weird noise coming up during driving it just came up twice for a few seconds and faded away. That time I thought it would be rain water that would have got into the belts. My first feeling was that the issue would be with the silencer as the sound is similar to that. But the sound is coming from some where near the engine itself. Also while switching off I am hearing a squeaking sound which was not there earlier. Car is due for service in November and so the engine oil level is low. There are no warnings on the MID. What could be the reason guys? She had been niggle free till now. I haven't taken my car to the new hyson fass yet so don't know anyone from their either.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I would suggest to get servicing done at earliest and get this resolved.

Is the sound coming each time, or it just happened 1-2 times?
    1 person likes this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Call the flat-bed RSA and take it to the dealer. Driving it till there might not be the right thing to do.

I remember reading something similar to this on TFI and the culprits were rats. They had chewed up the wiring. Long shot, but get it checked firstly.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  4. OCTANE

OCTANE Amatore

Cochin
    Now the car starts with this sound. In addition to the normal sound of the FIRE engine, you get this purrrr sound. It's similar to a damaged silencer but the sound is coming from the front. And while switching off I can hear a small squeaky sound may be from the belts. Last day there was good rain and some water had splashed on the belts making a kreeek sound which went away in a few seconds. The new sound is different but I have doubts whether the above incident would have caused this. Can the engine guard produce a similar sound? I had scrapped my underbelly slightly last day but none of these sounds came at that instant. There's no oil leakage either. And regarding rats, that too is a possibility but I don't know. No errors on the MID. Tomorrow its bandh here so can't do anything. I don't have the courage to drive it to FASS. What about the so called timing chain?? I had heard about such a recall but nothing has been done on my car.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    There is no timing chain in your engine, so rest assured on that part. :)
    1 person likes this.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Any possibility of you popping your bonnet open and checking for the source of this noise? While you are at it, take picture and post here, so we have a visual and are able to see if we can spot anything.

Rajan
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  7. OCTANE

OCTANE Amatore

Cochin
    I could not pinpoint the source of this noise. Will try to take a picture and post it here. Since there is some renovation going on at my home my linea is parked at my cousins house while the polo is with us. So there's some difficulty in checking my car every time. Hoping it's not something serious. My extended warranty ends in November.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks for that gurjinder.:) Had heard about this recall a long time ago but didn't know whether it was for mjd or fire.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. Mgunjal

Mgunjal

Mumbai

Dear Octane - If you look at the owners manual then you will find that replace timing belt (toothed drive belt) every 4 years or 60000 Km's whichever occurs earlier. I think you should take a look it and then rush to your dealer immediately and get it replaced!
    1 person likes this.
  9. OCTANE

OCTANE Amatore

Cochin
    Here are some pics of the engine bay. I would be taking her to FASS only by next week. Checking inside the bonnet, the sound seems to come from somewhere near the engine itself. But later I found that the sound is more prominent in the lower portion of the front grill, ie below the number plate. Car seems to behave normal except this sound. Didn't drive her but as I said earlier there are no errors on the MID and the RPM is also normal. And mgunjal, will check that one too.

Bonnet 1.jpg

Bonnet3.jpg
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Visually I do not see any tell tale signs of rat attack. Typically, they will attack the firewall, rubber hoses, the soft cover around the battery. In your case, all seems to be intact. The only thing I could notice was the connector circled in the bigger red circle, should be mounted on the clamp circled in the smaller circle. Apart from that, I do not spot anything amiss.

Bonnet 1.jpg

Rajan