1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Weird Horn sounds

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by zenwalker, Mar 12, 2015.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Lately sometimes when i press the horn pad, i hear mono sound and some times the normal punto horn sound. To me, it looks like one of the horn (2 can be seen behind grill) is gone bonkers or the wires gotten loose or it could be the horn pad acting weird? Not sure.

Whats your opinion here? Can i do some thing myself here which doesn't require FASS (Mechanic, tools) knowledge.

2. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

I'm having a similar problem. Reported the matter to FASC but no improvements. He told me the horn plates may need to be changed . How old is your car ,mine is 5+ years.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

I had a similar issue but in my case sometimes the horn would sound and sometimes it totally would not. I had to get the horns replaced.
    You will have to visit the FASS to get it replaced, since it requires the front bumper to be pried open. You should not try it on your own.
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Its 1.5yrs old. I wonder why some things are still mysterious on FIAT, besides of all these years of their craftsmanship in their products.

During the second service i am planning to do it.
  5. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Nothing mysterious. It's just one of the 2 horns failing.

Both the horns are powered through the same circuit, so, if one is working, it directly means that it is not a Horn pad issue.

Irrespective of the age of the car, the horns can fail due to several factors. Too much usage, water seepage etc. Horns are covered under warranty so you can pester the ASS to replace it.

I got my horns replaced 3 times under warranty, got fed up of the repeated failures and installed after market horns which still keep failing every now and then.

FYI, the OEM wiring for horns has a weird connector that fits only FIAT OEM hella horns, if you wish to install aftermarket horns, you will have to strip OEM wiring or do some kind of jugaad. I chose option 2 and did some jugaad + added a relay in between so that i do not accidentally damage the OEM wiring if i install horns that consume more power. I believe there is an inbuilt relay to the horn wiring already but i was being extra cautious.
    sdp1975 likes this.