1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Weekend ride to Wayanad

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by kishorekrs, Apr 26, 2016.

1. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    A short ride was planned to northern part of Wayanad, which is surrounded by mountains, thick forest and beautiful valleys. It is roughly 250 kms from Bangalore. We were visiting Mysore for an occasion (cousin’s engagement) so we planned to cover few places before actually landing up there. It was an ideal time as it was weekend around, with all brainstorming session we finally decided to visit a place called “Kalindi River Resort” on northern part of Wayanad right near Thirunelli temple. This place was visited by me in 2013 with my Bullet club. I was quite contented with the place. With that sense of satisfaction decided to visit them again. The whole idea to visit resort was mainly to beat the heat by spending good amount of time with family than roaming in & around. As family had already seen few places of Wayand it wasn't necessary for us to visit places around. So I zeroed in on resort. This place is quite remotely located interior & away from the main roads. It definitely offers one a much needed peace of mind & tranquility!!

The route we took from Bangalore

upload_2016-4-26_18-9-28.png

Bangalore – Bidadi – Ramanagara – Channapatna – Mandya – Srirangapatna – Hunsur – Nagarhole – Kutta – Thettu – Thirunelli - Kalindi

We decided to leave Bangalore by 6.30 am as it was Saturday we were quite sure of awful traffic at B’lore- Mys highway. But to our bad luck it was 8 am when we left our place, blame it on kids as they were all around the place (with three families uniting) hopping with excitement and joy, getting them ready was herculean task which made us delay by 90 min!!

Finally we started off by 8 am & stopped for fueling at IO bunk near NICE road deviation on Kanakpura main road. There were totally three cars Evo, my brother’s Tata Bolt (D) & my brother-in-law’s Honda City (P).

upload_2016-4-26_18-12-11.png
    Evo at IO bunk

I filled her with 30 litres of diesel having to cover 500+ kms round trip (eventually we exceeded our mark & ended up with 150 kms more) & with same quantity filled its distant cousin Bolt too. We set to sail towards our destination by taking NICE road to reach Mysore road & drop in for breakfast at 9.30 am at Maddur.

As said earlier the traffic was hopeless. Being a weekend the number of vehicles plying around was 3x times more than the weekday count, coz of which as calculated we exceeded by half an hour more than our schedule time & reached Maddur by 10 am. Luckily I didn’t stick to the herd. I made my own way & with some spirited driving I zipped with all the traffic around and reached the place as scheduled at 9.30 am :D

upload_2016-4-26_18-17-22.png
    Evo resting after sprinting from Bangalore to Maddur. Our first pit stop for breakfast

After our breakfast we left at 11 am & continued our journey towards Srirangapatna where our deviation was to take towards Hunsur. With the growing traffic & continuous braking there was dip in mileage. It was more or less like driving inside city with bumper to bumper traffic. We reached Srirangapatna in 2 hours and took deviation towards Hunsur. After stopping for quick break we started and reached Hunsur in next 45 min. From Hunsur it was going to be a fun filled stretch as it goes within Nagarhole national park.

On other side at Madikeri highway it was a pure bliss driving her. It outclassed my bil’s City & bro’s Bolt. The much appreciating fact isThe immense rush of power it gives at 3rd gear is kind of whooping experience”. It takes off like a jet. I usually stick around 100 kmph & cruise max at 120 kmph. It is during this limit that car performs exceptionally well. I didn’t floor the throttle but the pull it gave me was enough to outclass them at every stretch.Time & again I think, if I’m enjoying so much in this mill how it could be in 93ps then…?” :cool:

Coming back to our ride, before reaching to Nagarhole sanctuary enroute we stopped for lunch. From Hunsur it was around 25 kms for national park sanctuary gate. At main gate staff recorded an entry in the register book with car numbers. The staff was pretty proactive, before me interpreting something he opened up himself telling you may witness Dotted deer, Peacocks & langurs on the way. We were all excited thinking what could be the real sightings apart from what he said. Slowly we started our journey inside the jungle, after sometime to our hard luck it was one & only spotted deer everywhere. We were little disappointed but yeah we were well informed before & we all convinced ourselves thinking something is better than nothing.

upload_2016-4-26_18-27-8.png
    Deer sighting enroute

After reaching the main safari point we all decided to take a safari ride. Our reporting time was by 4.30 at resort. We were already late & decided to give a miss by somehow convincing kids. As usual kids were feeling bad but after enquiry with one of the np staff we understood that there won’t be much to see in the safari, as the main time to witness animal is during early morning. With that reason kids were convinced. We quickly raced towards place called ‘Kutta’ from where the deviation to Kalindi lies. So the further route map was Kutta – Thettu – Tholpatty – Thirunelli & finally Kalindi resort.

We reached the place called “Kutta” in no time & from there the route became even more interesting. The real thrill started as it was some sort of mini ghat with lot of twisties around. It was at this time & stretch I was so delighted to ride her. “It is always a real pleasure to drive her in twisties, as one can witness the brilliant dynamics - chassis of it. It plasters a huge grin on our face every time. I enjoyed driving every bit of it!!

On curves

upload_2016-4-26_18-32-15.png

My nephew was all excited seeing our pace at this stretch. He eagerly wanted to know what is Fiat all about. He started admiring my driving but I remained honest enough telling it isn’t me doing wonders, it’s the car!! And some explanation started to make him understand Fiats USP’s. He was more & more interested to know everything about Fiat but soon we reached our final destination & I was forced to stop it mid way. By owning a Fiat it’s quite easy to explain things by comparing other cars as few things stands out unique in Fiat!!

Finally it was half past 5 pm when we reached the place. Our plan of visiting thirunelly temple on same day couldn’t happen. So planned it for next day & entered the resort.

upload_2016-4-26_18-41-10.png
    At entrance

upload_2016-4-26_18-42-12.png
    Path to resort

upload_2016-4-26_18-42-45.png
    Bamboo hut for staying

upload_2016-4-26_18-43-52.png
    At backdrop - Majestic "Brahmagiri Hills"

upload_2016-4-26_18-44-32.png
    Way to main hall

upload_2016-4-26_18-44-58.png
    Bamboo hut II

We enjoyed thoroughly our night stay over there & next day as usual we planned for Thirunelly temple and Kuruva Island on the way back to Mysore. But after enquiring with the resort owner he said it requires not less than 5-6 hours to see the Kuruva Island & enjoy the nature over there. As we had planned to reach Mysore before dusk we decided to depart from the place after lunch. After our breakfast we loaded our luggage back to our car & headed towards thirunelly temple by checking out from the resort. After hardly 10 min of journey we reached Thirunelly temple.

upload_2016-4-26_18-46-31.png
    Thirunelly temple

The temple is situated on the side of Brahmagiri hills of Kerala. The hill behind the temple is Brahmagiri where on hilltop Karnataka shares its border with Kerala on north part of Wayanad. Legend has it that this temple was once an important pilgrim centre & town at that time & was located amidst dense jungle valleys & mountain.

After our darshan we had our lunch and started to head back towards Mysore. Since we skipped Kuruva Island we thought to pay visit to thitimati forest on the way & witness elephant sanctuary, because of this idea we skipped the Manthavady – H D Kote road & took road towards Gonikoppa. The stretch towards Gonikoppa – Hunsur was recently laid out. It was in fabulous condition but due to nature’s scenic beauty we cut our speeds & drove sedately. We were soaked immensely in the nature’s beauty that we took 90 min to cover distance of 65 km.

upload_2016-4-26_18-51-51.png
    Love the looks of Evo :snaphappy:

upload_2016-4-26_18-52-50.png
    Thitimati - Its a sanctuary where elephants are captured in wild & trained here

upload_2016-4-26_19-10-31.png
    With the help of Elephant setting up a cage

upload_2016-4-26_18-55-37.png
    Arjuna posing for a snap

After visiting the sanctuary we raced towards Mysore. After spending two days at Mysore for occasion in the end we visited Chamundi hills & Zoo before heading back to Bangalore. We left Mysore at 8.30 pm & reached Bangalore right after 3 hours of journey with half an hour of break in between for dinner at Maddur. It was splendid experience throughout, though it was a short period of time.

The final figures after ending the journey
    upload_2016-4-26_18-58-49.png

upload_2016-4-26_18-58-56.png

upload_2016-4-26_18-59-9.png

upload_2016-4-26_18-59-16.png

It’s never ending affair with Fiats!! It is like always finding an excuse to go out with her, only we Fiatians know why it is. Looking forward for one more holiday now!! ;)

2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @kishorekrs : In short, you have been bitten by the Fiat bug :D And yes, the resort looks great, surrounded with nature all around, a perfect place to unwind yourself??
    kishorekrs likes this.
  3. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Good short and precise travelogue with some nice pics!

You are Fiataddicted now @kishorekrs :)
    Happy Miles!
    kishorekrs likes this.
  4. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks guys. Well I'm fiat bug from the day we owned Premier Padmini. It was fabulous car. Now Punto has replaced that. Meantime i did some 4 trips past year. Unfortunately neither of which I could pen down. This time strictly made some time for myself n wrote this travelogue. Till now the best time i had behind the wheel was on Dec '15 when i did B'lore-Belum caves-Vijayawada-Bhadrachalam-Hyderabad-B'lore. It was memorable ride i had so far with Fiat. It was almost 2700+ kms in 4 days. In Oct '15 it was B'lore-Tirupathi-Ahobilam-B'lore. Whle in whole It was pure bliss!! :)
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Awesome.

The resort seems to be very exciting. I have stayed at a facility near Thirunelly temple. Thirunelly has never failed me to excite. :)
    kishorekrs likes this.
  6. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Nicely penned travelogue!
    kishorekrs likes this.
  7. Giridhar

Giridhar Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @kishorekrs... Excellent narration and nicely put across the travelogue. Especially I like the way you ended with It’s never ending affair with Fiats!! It is like always finding an excuse to go out with her, only we Fiatians know why it is. Looking forward for one more holiday now!!
    I always try to find a reason to go on a ride with my Avventura. Recently had a trip to Mumbai from Chennai covering Goa on the wayback. Recently updated the travelogue on that trip. Like to see more travelogues from your side. Proud to be a Fiatian.... :)
  8. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks @Giridhar. I was following your thread for sometime. I was actually awaiting to see some pics. Your avvy is stunner. I like that shade a lot. It surely looks muscular!!
  9. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Nicely written travelogue and very nice pictures. During my last visit to Coorg we went up to Iruppu falls and back and left Wayanad for the next trip, since then I am planning to visit Wayanad but yet to make it, hope this year I will make it.
    kishorekrs likes this.
  10. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Its worth seeing place.