1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Weekend ramble to Coorg

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by zenwalker, Oct 27, 2014.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Initial Planning:
    This weekend my family wanted to visit coorg. So as per that i planned for the same. Since the night journey was not acceptable to my family folks, so we planned to start off around 6 AM from home and reach coorg by 12. But then came small additions to visit along as we discussed.

Hotel Story:
    Upon finalizing the plan, i wanted to book a hotel for staying 1 night, so i immediately wander through trip advisor. It suggested me 2 hotels but Hotel Hillview was better. I browsed through their homepage and noticed that there was a triple bedroom as well available which was not shown on Trip Advisor. I immediately called them and checked out the availability and prices.Finally i requested them to take down my contact and ask them to block the room for us for that weekend. The person on the other end Mr. Adarsh of Hotel Hillview confirmed the blocking of the room for us and requested me to come over that weekend. But it took a detour when we visited.

Journey:
    Saturday morning, we left the home by 630AM and drove all the way non-stop till srirangapatnam where we had breakfast. As planned, we visited bylkuppe golden temple and by the time we stepped into dubare forest area, rain started to pour in cats and dogs. We decided to ditch it out and proceed to coorg.
    Around 1 PM we reached Coorg, the weather was pretty nice and cozy. It was not raining, although till kushalnagar we faced the rain. Straight away i reached the hotel Hill view to check in as my folks were tired of traveling.

Hotel Story Continued:
    To my horror, no body knew about the phone booking i had done 3 days earlier. Nothing was also been noted in their books. I was furious for a while about their attitude. They started to give lame excuses that they would not take any phone bookings/room blocking unless an advance being made. I argued that nothing was mentioned about the advance and i was asked to drop in directly instead. The buck as being passed from the front desk to some manager and to other person. Finally i was able to speak to the respective person who communicated to me over the phone. This time, this guy is giving some new story as in the customers had extended their stay so he could not provide me the room instead he would refer me to some other hotel for some cheaper rooms if at all if its available. I was really pissed off :banghead:

Hotel Highton:
    Finally we stayed at Hotel Highton, Junior College road. Double bed room costs us 1030 INR inclusive of everything. A 12 PM -12 PM checkout pattern here. The car parking space is pretty ample here. 25 hours hot water facility. All double bedrooms are available in ground floors and its quite spacious with good cleanliness including restrooms which was pretty much welcome to my family members. The triple bedroom would cost 1900INR inclusive of all with extra bed (on floor) of 300, the difference of 2 double bedroom would not matter much here, hence went for 2 rooms.
    In another 3-4 months, this hotel would have in house restaurant but would not serve pork sadly :(

Journey Contd.: Day 1 (Saturday 25th Oct)
    Since the family members were tired, we rested in the hotel for 2 hours and went for a late lunch. I inquired in the lobby where i would get the native food coz i love to be "Be Roman in Rome" ;)
    I was informed of 2 good hotels near by fort. 1. Hotel marcera 2. Coorg cuisine. So i immediately dropped family members at Neel sagar hotel as they would consume only veg food and i rushed to Coorg Cuisine. Unfortunately they had closed in by that time :arghh:. So i had no choice with much bitter disappointment of not having the native pork food, i wanted to visit the hotel marcera (front of fort) which was really a 3 star hotel. But my family members forced me to consume at the stupid veg hotel o_O. To our fate, this hotel was over crowded at that point of the hour and only available food was dosa. So we had dosa and it was around 5PM, so we decided to hit raja seat. We spent around 1 hours there watching the beautiful nature around and talking. Again as it was a weekend, this place was overcrowded. Next as it was getting dark, we decided to hit the hotel room for refreshing and a bit relaxing for the family folks. Around 8 PM, we all decided to hit the hotel again. This time the zeal to have the native pork food started to creep in me. So the routine started, me dropping them off to veg hotel and rushing to coorg cusine.

Though i was well within the time frame, this hotel was really packed yet it was small :wtf:. There was only 1 waiter who kept rushing here and there. I waited for 5 mins and every body around was getting agitated for huge delay in serving even a water. So i decided if i wait, it would take around 2 hours more for my turn to come by. Hence ditched this place and went to Hotel Marcera. I liked this hotel, it had good ambiance and its pretty price here though not much. Sadly again this hotel does not serve pork. So i had to settle down to Coorg Koli (chicken) barthad (Curry), roti, king fish fry and lassi. The taste of the food was really nice especially the barthad and fish fry.

Day 2 (Sunday - 26th Oct) :
    Early morning we departed from the hotel to visit talacauvery. The weather was really nice and it was drizzling all along. The town was pretty empty. We reached the talacauvery by 730. By this time, the sun was completely out and not much mist left. So the temple place was getting hot and humid. We all decided to hit back to bagamandala and then to hotel for checking out before 12. By the time we reached hotel, it was 1130. We packed everything and checked out.
    The next stop was at abbey falls. By the time we finished abbey falls, family members were a bit tired due to the twist and turns and not so good road conditions. We had to return to the town route to depart back to bangalore.
    On the way, we decided to have lunch as it was almost 3PM.

For the last time i wished i did get the pork food at coorg cusine restaurant. I had almost lost confidence. With much eager in my mind, i went to this hotel again , voila it was almost empty. I just sat there, ordered what ever i could see the pork stuffs at the earliest before the place went crowded again. :D

DSC05227.JPG
    After an hour of finger licking moments, i was really really satisfied to the core. The food served was awesome. It was really yummy and very much value for money there. :happy:

Around 6PM, we departed back to bangalore. The traffic started to pile up near to Hunsur. Between maddhur and channapattanna, the traffic was almost stranded for 2 hours :banghead:. It was very slow moving traffic where every one is rushing side by side to get off from this hell. This 2 hours of 1st and 2st gear repeated shits tired me alot than the whole journey. For a while i though i had reached bangalore. Sad state of government not giving much importance to this highway at all to make it better and wider. Around 10PM we stepped into bangalore perimeter.

Some where on the hunsur highway.
    DSC05149.JPG
    DSC05159.JPG DSC05176.JPG DSC05178.JPG DSC05179.JPG DSC05180.JPG DSC05182.JPG DSC05183.JPG DSC05187.JPG DSC05191.JPG DSC05205.JPG

I got pretty less FE of 18.5 over all in this trip,it might be due to 4 members + 75 % fuel in tank + twist and turns + horrible traffic :(

Thank you :)
    rajks, shams, fiatlover and 2 others like this.
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Nicely written zen:). I am also planning to visit coorg in december end.

Whats the view point in 3rd pic. Is that rajas seat?
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @shams
    Thank you shams.

Yes it is raja seat. December should be a good time but also very cold time. So please plan appropriately. Also be careful while booking your hotel/homestay so that you dont face the problem i did. Have fun. :)
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    zenwalker likes this.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @fiatlover
    Thankfully not much has changed on the view point :) Hope it stays the same all along in the future generations to come.
  6. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    Nice writeup and photographs. By the way, it is not reaching Coorg at 1PM but it is reaching Madikeri. Once you touch Kushalnagar, you are in Coorg :)

Getting authentic Coorg delicacy in Coorg has become a pain now.. You get better Coorg delicacies in Bangalore nowadays;) (couple of outlets in Indiranagar serve very good Coorg pork dishes).
    zenwalker likes this.
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Sailer_Punter
    Thank you,
    You are right. I always use either ways :D

When i inquired few people there (coorgies) they as well mentioned the same that not much hotels exists apart from those home stays away from town.
    Indiranagar ye? Do please list down those places. Ill plan some time.
  8. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    @zenwalker
    The have been to "The Restaurent - Coorg" in Indiranagar. This is in Krishna Temple road and the best that I have had in Bangalore. They serve buffet and quality is awesome.

There is one more called Coorg in CMH road but the food is slightly spicy to my taste.

"Wild Spice" in residency road (just before Brigade Road junction) is good too.
    Ravi and zenwalker like this.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Really? :confused:
    It is not less with condition you drove.
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Ravi
    Yes when checked at night as well I got a hot water.

Hopefully in the next trip I can archive better.