1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Weekend jaunt to Murud Janjira

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Flywheel, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

When I stayed in Chennai I was always itching for a holiday in any hill station and now that I am in Pune I decided I needed to visit an hot and humid beach( What can I say, I miss Chennai!!) , although I didn't want it to be very hot ;)
    Since both me and wife decided that we couldn’t take any leave it would have to be a short trip over the weekend – the advantage of Pune is there are a lot of places to see in a radius of 200kms , I looked at Alibaug and decided that it would turn out to be too crowded so my search led to Murud Janjira/ Kashid which would be relatively less crowded (relative being the keyword). Mahua Bagh seemed very promising and I went ahead and booked the resort.
    So the route taken was
    Pune– Khalapur Toll – Pen – Alibaug – Kashid – Mahua Bagh

I wanted it to be a relaxed drive so we left home on Saturday morning by 6 30 AM. Got on to the expressway and it was a very pleasant drive till the Lonovala turn off. I tanked up on the expressway at one of the HP COCO outlets. The roads from Khalapur Toll plaza to Alibaug was a decent two lane road, the irony is that you have to pay tolls for these roads albeit its only 20 bucks. A small point to note is that it is better to head through Pen rather than taking the bypass as the bypass is simply horrible filled with numerous craters.

We stopped for breakfast at Alibaug around 9 AM and headed towards Kashid and Murud, here the road goes from bad to worse and good in some small stretches. The scenery and the fact that you will be driving with the mountains on one side and the sea on the other kind of compensates for thebad roads, some more pictures of the drive. After a drive with numerous breaks to enjoy the scenery we finally crossed Kashid and closed in on our resort, as soon we took the turn-off this is what we found

One look at it and I knew we were going to have an adventurous 1 Km to the resort, and so we headed into this dirt track with me driving and my better half removing sharp stones from my way and letting me know where to place my tires lest I hit the underbody, so we proceeded on this dirt track. Well to make matters interesting we had a Tata 407 come the other way and I was extremely sure pretty sure there was no way both of us were going to get across each other, after some nervous moments and millimeter perfect navigation we finally get across each other and I reach the resort perspiring profusely after all the action. I looked at the clock and noticed it was 11 so it took us a good five hours to the resort. We had a good lunch and had a short nap after we which we decided to go see the Janjira Fort. The resort guys told me there is a much better road to reach the highway so I decided to try that out and this is what I found

Off the beaten track.jpg

To be continued tomorrow...
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    4 people like this.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Your Oceanic Blue Tjet looks smashing. Another colour not found too commonly yet a unique and cool signature colour of Fiat.

Have a blast !
    1 person likes this.
  3. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

The Fort

We had to cut across afield to join the highway; my Jet did it without crapping her belly once

About the Fort, this is some information I found on the internet..

Situated on a rock of oval shape near the port town of Murud, 165kms south of Mumbai,Janjira is one of the strongest marine forts of India (the word ‘Janjira’ is a corruption of the Arabic word Jazira for island). The forts is approached by sailboats from Rajapuri jetty. The main gate of the fort faces Rajapuri on the shore and can be seen only when one is quite close to it. It has a small postern gate towards the open sea for escape. The fort has 19 rounded bastions,still intact. There are many canons of native and European make rusting on the bastions. Now in ruins, the fort in its heyday had all necessary facilities,e.g., places, quarters for officers, mosque, a big fresh water tank, etc. On the outer wall flanking the main gate, there is a sculpture depicting a tiger-like beast clasping elephants in its claws. This sculpture, its meaning difficult to interpret, appears on many fort-gates of Maharashtra.

Originally the fort was small wooden structure built by a Koli chief in the late 15th century. It was captured by Pir Khan, a general of Nizamshah of Ahmednagar. Later the fort was strengthened by Malik Ambar, the AbyssinianSiddi regent of Ahmednagar kings. From then onward Siddis became independent,owing allegiance to Adilshah and the Mughals as dictated by the times. Despite their repeated attempts, the Portuguese, the British and the Marathas failed to subdue the Siddi power. Shivaji’s all attempts to capture Janjira fort failed due to one reason or the other. When Sambhaji also failed, he built another island fort, known as Kansa or Padmadurg, just 9kms north of Janjira. The Janjira state came to an end after 1947. The place of the Nawabs of Janjira at Murud is still in good shape.

The architects have played with angles and shapes so much that one cannot see the entrance of the fort until one is close to it, the watch tower is so well designed that no can see anything inside the watch from outside ( we want tinted glass, one way glass,etc. these guys were far ahead of us) .

That’s the symbol of the Siddi’s

If I don’t like the look of your face I will blow you to smithereens, my eyesight is very good to I can spot you from 6 Kms away. Apparently these were imported from Europe, wonder if they had any customs duty then ;)

The fresh water tank –Apparently the rocks used to build the fort was taken from the ocean floor,while doing so they discovered two fresh water springs from which these tanks were formed.

The Durbar- must have been impressive in its heydays.

Our short tour of the fort came to an end and we headed back to the shore on our sail boats. The sun was settings just in time and I could take a couple of snaps of the Fort from the shore as the sun was setting.

The sea can be a very lonely place at times.

A couple of snaps of my Linea with the setting sun in the background.

With me busy snapping away I had forgotten that we would have to find our way through the field in the dark. We started our journey back from Murud to our resort and both me and my better half were discussing things and before we knew it we had gone well past our turn off and reached Kashid, we turned back and started headed back in the right direction wondering how in the world we were going to find a small gap in the bushes in the dark.
    After a couple of attempts we did find it and headed home after some adventure of crossing the dirt track in the dark, the Linea’s headlights need special mention here, they really light up beautifully. A snap in the darkness..

Next morning I found the my Jet covered in sweat. It must have been all the hard work from the yesterday.

The same pattern which puchoo had noticed in his bonnet.

After a good breakfast as usual we headed back home. This time we left around 12 30 and reached home by 4PM. We stopped for lunch for both me and my Jet on the express way J

Some Quick Stats

Total Distance : 396 Kms
    FE during the trip : 13.8 Kmpl ( Thanks to the dirt track and plenty of idling)
    Highest FE: 16.4 Kmpl ( On the express way and I wasn’t driving very slowly)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Mahua Bagh
    Resort Review : Its very pricey for what they offer, I can see that this resort could be a lot more than what it now it just needs a little more money and some vision. Food is great and hospitality is top notch. Cleanliness leaves a lot to desired though.

Recommended: No, I think you will find a lot of better places for a lot cheaper. If you have to go here ask for room no 104, it’s the one with the best view

A pics of the resort in the night.

Thanks a reading through this, some snaps have been taken from my phone camera and may a little blurred.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    5 people like this.
  4. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Very nice trip flywheel your linea is looking amazing as usual!!!
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Great review and some fantastic pics of the car. I have been planning for ages to visit Murud Janjira and havent been able to do so. My son loves the occean and I will now definitely plan for something in the coming weeks. Hope you had a superb time with your family.
  6. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Thanks a lot for all the kind words :)
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. Shri1972

Shri1972 Amatore

Nicely written with amazing snaps . Your jet looks awesome .

Shrinivas Patil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Awesome pix and write up buddy. :)
  9. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Thank you, Have you got your Jet as yet?
    Thank you :)
  10. Shri1972

Shri1972 Amatore

1 person likes this.