1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Weekend Drive to the Medak Cathedral

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by saroshmk, Oct 9, 2012.

1. saroshmk

On Sunday, i drove up to the Medak Cathedral, about 100 KM north of Hyderabad. I had heard about this church and its Gothic architecture but it was a picture published in the newspaper a couple of weeks ago that peaked my curiosity. I had the afternoon free and thought this was the opportunity I must grab.

Onward, i headed out of Hyd on the NH7 north bound (now renamed NH44) upto Ramayampet. There's a toll plaza where i was relieved of 100 rupees -- a bit steep i felt. Exiting at Ramayampet, i took the Medak-Ramayampet road, heading west into Medak. This stretch was a real pleasure to drive. Almost a single lane curvy road through a short section of a thick forest, with lush green Teak trees. I saw a board that said it was part of the Pocharam Reserve.

Eventually, i spotted the bell tower of the church from the main road and turned right into the Medak Church Road.

It was 3 PM when i turned off the engine. Being a Sunday, the church was crowded with lots of visitors through the day. The building had a very grandiose, yet peaceful feel to it. It took 10 years for the church to be built. The workmanship in stone is worth inspecting -- every stone tells a story of care and utmost attention to detail, something you cannot expect in modern construction. The local people helped build the church during a time of great famine in the region and i found it amazing that they built the structure that is as impressive as any other church, the world over. The flooring & the stained glass windows are rare and impressive.

For those inclined, Wikipedia has an article of the history of the church: Medak Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I chose not to take pictures of the interiors as there were a lot of worshippers praying. I have attached snaps of the exterior shots of the church.

20121007 - R5 - IMG_1590.jpg
    The 175 feet high Bell Tower

20121007 - R5 - IMG_1593.jpg
    The cross at the west door

20121007 - R5 - IMG_1597.jpg
    The north-side view of the church

20121007 - R5 - IMG_1601.jpg
    The south-side view

On the return journey, i took the state highways back into the city: Medak -> Yellareddy -> Narsapur -> Narsapur Forest Range (beautiful drive) -> Gumardalla -> Gagillapur -> Qutubullapur -> Balanagar.

It was a good break from the routine and a doable trip if you are in Hyd and have an afternoon to spare.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    6 people like this.
  2. Satyajit

Nice. We do have some lovely neo-Gothic architectural history in our country. Pretty fascinating. Mumbai has a lot of those buildings as well.
  3. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Nice pics,

I also visited Medak church, places around and also Nizamsagar few months back (around June'2012).
  4. Great Architecture and awesome pics..
  5. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    The north-side view of the church - pic: spectacular ! Well, others are good too. I have always wanted to visit this Church but couldn't make it :(
  6. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Good Pics Sarosh.