1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Week old Fiat linea window glass shattered into pieces

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by ManoharV, Nov 13, 2015.

1. ManoharV

ManoharV Timido

Bengaluru
    Linea T-Jet
    Hello folks,

This is my first post in this forum, and sharing my experience with my week old Linea TJet, and seeking your expert suggestions.

I bought my new Linea T Jet Emotion on 5-Nov-2015, and just after one week, while driving back home, driver side window glass shattered into pieces. I parked my car to the left, and got down to see what could have caused this damage. I could not find any big piece of rock at the spot which could have caused this damage. I suspect some small piece of stone could have hit the window glass (possibly bounced by the tires of some vehicle passing by).

Its surprising that a car which is build like a tank is fitted with window glasses which could not withstand a small/medium sized piece of stone, and also glass pieces shattered immediately and fell inside cabin. Assume damage which can be caused when a piece of glass gets into eyes of the passenger.

Considering safety of the passengers, expectation is that even if something hits the glass, and it breaks, some sort of lamination on the glass should hold the glass pieces in its place.

I never faced such problem with my 7 year old Swift, which has saved me from many such incidents on highways and Bangalore roads.

I am just curious to know if any one here has seen or faced such problem? And does fiat consider damaged window glass under warranty?
  2. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Iam very sorry to know about this incident. Hoping everybody inside the care are safe.

For Me, It Sounds like the glass is some sort of damaged product. Since it's in warranty period, I assume and wish it should be replaced without any problem.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It could be termed as accident and not a manufacturing defect. Nonetheless, take pics and consult with FASS or dealership from where you bought. Some cases Insurance could be claimed, but depends on your choice and price of the glass.

Kindly get this sorted soon and don't dig too much into it. Enjoy the ride.

Do update if dealer or Fiat obliges.
  4. ManoharV

ManoharV Timido

Bengaluru
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks for the concerns and suggestions. I was alone in the car when this incident happened, and luckily nothing happened when glass broke.

Since Wednesday & thursday, most of the service centers were off, I could get in touch with service centers only on Friday [13-11-2015] to confirm availability of the door glass. Since I dont have covered parking at my home, and it was raining in Bangalore, I had to keep front right side door wrapped with sear cover (which company puts to avoid any sort of stains during transit).

And finally I visited Vecto motors (Hosur road) on Saturday [14-11-2015] and got it replaced.

Cost of the window glass = Rs 820. (99RPM sells it for Rs 725)
    Labor charges = Rs 741.
    Total Cost = Rs 1561.

Total time taken for replacing window glass & cleaning seat/carpet = 4 Hours (approx)
    New Glass looks original as it has Fiat logo printed on it (2015 make).

Service representative confirmed this is not covered under warranty, and I can claim insurance if I want. But since final bill amount was not much, I preferred not to claim insurance as I will effectively save only Rs 561 (Rs 1000 is compulsory deductible under Sec-1), and will be loosing NCB next year.

Also Service ppl explained that only front wind shield will have lamination which will prevent shattering of glass in case something falls on it. All window glasses and rear wind shield will not have any kind of lamination on them. I am not sure if this is a standard across all manufacturers.

Also, after glass was fixed, when I try to move driver seat forward/backward, I could feel that seat's lower side cover (plastic cover which houses driver seat adjustment) is obstructing when I try to move seat front/back, when seat is pushed to its lowest position. It was not the case before this incident happened.

Service engineer denied to have adjusted the seat side cover, even after arguing for 30+ min. They said they only pushed seat to highest position and removed glass pieces from floor and seat railing with help of vacume cleaner.
    I was in no mood to experiment with my car by letting them remove the cover and put it back again. Workaround I have found for this is to push seat one level up, then adjust seat position by moving it front/back, and the push it down again. I will put this point again when I give it for first service @ 5K Kms.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 16, 2015 ---
    Here are the images of broken window glass.

1.jpg

2.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Raaz likes this.
  5. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Good to know that its fixed. Enjoy the beauty @ManoharV !
    Bangalore is a good place to maintain FIAT. Try some other FASS next time.

Happy Tjetting :)
    ManoharV and Raaz like this.
  6. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    AFA swift safety profile is concerned here is the link,
    http://m.carandbike.com/news/now-maruti-swift-datsun-go-fail-ncap-crash-tests-688031#ath
    You never faced a safety problem in swift is purely due to luck or the 'lemon chilly or the idol on the dashboard'.

As far as flying object is concerned, I have seen a stone flying due to a tanker's tyre making rent in the Indigo's door metal.

Anyways, I am happy to see that no one was injured & the problem is fixed now.
    Happy miles.
    PradeepM, Raaz and ManoharV like this.
  7. ManoharV

ManoharV Timido

Bengaluru
    Linea T-Jet
    Of course, Swift in not so well built, and has lags in many safety aspects, and that's one of the primary reason for an upgrade to TJet.
    Have driven for only 600+ kms so far in Bangalore city, and enjoyed the drive every moment. Planning for a long drive with family next week, and I am quite sure that it will be fun on highway.
    Tornado and Raaz like this.
  8. Vinodh_Gowda

Vinodh_Gowda Novizio

Namma Bengaluru
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @ManoharV : First and foremost, congratulations on acquiring the TJET. I too got mine in Magnesio Grey on November 2nd, 2015 and she already has 2580 kms on her odometer. I got mine from Aadya Motors.

I would suggest you to try Aadya Servicing as Raghuram, Their Service advisor is far more knowledgeable. Our Punto previously used to be serviced at Prerana and then changed to Vecto Motors but the standards has decreased allot int eh past year and a half. Previously Vecto had Surendra Jain who isn't there anymore and hence the concerns.
    ManoharV likes this.