1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Webasto Sunroof - Punto

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by arj.jain, Oct 7, 2013.

1. @Romeo

@Romeo Novizio

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Hi DRIV3R, if there is anything like impact beams in roof of Punto, it is well and good. Just now during lunch, I discussed here with my colleague who works in crash team, he is also not aware of any strengthening or reinforcements for the roof panel. In case of topple, load will be transferred to A,B,C pillars and roof rails. Are you pointing out to some BIW beams/ reinforcements here?

However can you please share the source from which you got the information about impact beams in roof for our beauty?

- - - Merged Post - - -

Hi DRIV3R, if there is anything like impact beams in roof of Punto, it is well and good. Just now during lunch, I discussed here with my colleague who works in crash team, he is also not aware of any strengthening or reinforcements for the roof panel. In case of topple, load will be transferred to A,B,C pillars and roof rails. Are you pointing out to some BIW beams/ reinforcements here?

However can you please share the source from which you got the information about impact beams in roof for our beauty?
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    To be honest I have never owned a car with a sunroof or got an after market one. I made that statement after reading on automotive forums only. The people who have made that comment at various places at various times have at times claimed to have been a witness of this in friends' cars who went for it.

I, like any enthusiast, have a desire to drive with the sunroof open but these feedbacks have kept me away.

Another mod I used to like were the scissor action doors aka Lamborghini doors. But even they are not successful.

How about these automatic doors and mirrors?

3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Have a look at the following post to see the picture of the crossrails on the roof:
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/i-am-off-topic/2548-accidents-17.html#post113099
    1 person likes this.
  4. arj.jain

arj.jain

india

Ok I am even more confused. Personally (IMHO) I dont think a small cut out in the roof (in comparision to convertable conversion), would pose any structural damage. Nonetheless, the automatic doors and mirrors dont impress me much. Scissor doors do though.

Till this gets finalised, I am parking my "sunroof budget" for the time being. Hope to get this finalised either way by month end.

Till then and in addition to the sunroof, would appreciate your comments on my other thread http://www.teamfiat.co.in/modifications-tuning/10740-modding-punto-mjd-e-3-5-years.html#post196970.
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

6. @Romeo

@Romeo Novizio

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    DRIV3R & Shams, thanks for that useful info.

In my earlier post I mentioned about roof rails.

Roof rails means nothing but panels which connect A to B pillar, B to C pillar.

Now coming to cross rails, in general these cross rails are part of BIW itself. These rails connect two A pillars or two B pillars or two C pillars. Roof panel will be spot welded to roof rails and cross rails.

This is my understanding and what I have seen till date.

However in case of punto it seems these cross rails are integrated within inner and outer roof panels as per your post. I think there is some valuable engineering gone behind this.

Now coming back to aftermarket sun roof, yes if someone plays with these cross rails or roof rails, there is going to be issue with structural rigidity as you are playing with structure of a car (read as BIW).

If one cuts the roof panel only and adds any mechanism to slide the sun roof on these rails, there should not be any issue.

Disclaimer: I am not aware of process of adding aftermarket sunroof neither I have witnessed it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4
  7. arj.jain

arj.jain

india

Thanks for the useful info! Maybe this helps in analysing if the roof rails can be bypassed as the sunroof slides on top of the roof!

webasto sunroof in delhi
  8. @Romeo

@Romeo Novizio

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I would also like to add one more thing. If you see roof panels of large SUVs, you will see a certain bead pattern on the roof. Reason behind such design is thickness of roof panel is very low and surface area of roof panel is a lot. Hence roof panel tries to vibrate a lot. So roof panel is actually stiffened by providing certain bead pattern.

Now the intersting thing : why to stop vibrations of roof panel? It is because roof panel is spot welded to BIW. The vibration tends to seperate roof panel from BIW. It can induce crack at the connections on both roof panel and BIW as well. Later being more dangerous.

These are just two cents from my side. If anybody needs further details in this regard, please PM me.

And yes I may not be 100% correct. If anybody wants to add or correct me, you are welcome.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Yes, even Micra's roof is done that way for stiffening. (Boomerang shape)
    1 person likes this.
  10. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Sunroof is the personal choice.
    Infact I've already zeroed on webasto after researching a lot.
    The one I have selected is manual sunroof. Basic one. :)
    2 people like this.