1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Webasto Sunroof - Punto

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by arj.jain, Oct 7, 2013.

1. arj.jain

2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    These things should better be bought as factory fitted equipment. But the same is not available in Punto.

Aftermarket sunroofs are not a good option IMO because a lot depends upon the installer. These sunroofs are said to be prone to water leakage, getting stuck etc.
  3. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

A good Sunroof will set you back by 70-80K INR,and then you will have to spend almost 10% of it on its yearly maintenance.
    I am a sucker for Sunroofs but have been avoiding it,till the time i get a car with a OEM one :)
    There is a thread on the other forum regarding this.
  4. arj.jain

Thanks for the reply Paddleshifter. Just wanted to ask..is there any experience / instance of leakage of an after market sunroof that you may have come across?

I have read and reread this line in many posts but this seems to be a generalist viewpoint. Confused :confused:

- - - Merged Post - - -

Akshay, I have been drooling at Webasto since 2006 when I first realised that after market roof exist for retrofitment. They wound up their activities sometime in 2009-10 (or around that time). I wont be changing this car for at least 2-3 years. Be that as it may, I too am skeptical about a screwed up install amounting me much more than the real feel of a sunroof.
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Non OEM sunroofs will reduce the structural rigidity of the car's roof. Not recommended.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

As mods and experts have suggested, better not go for the non OEM sunroofs for all the reasons mentioned by mods + experts. You are better off spending that amount on something else for the Punto. :D
  7. @Romeo

@Romeo Novizio

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    DRIV3R, are you talking about structural rigidity of car's upper structure? Roof itself does not add any structural rigidity to car. Its sole purpose is to protect from sun or rain. All the structural loads are actually taken by A,B,C pillars in any car.
  8. jumu

jumu Superiore

I tend to agree. The roof itself is hollow and there is no possibility of adding any beams inside even if the Sunroof is OE because when the sunroof slides inside it will go upto back of the roof and hence there cant be anything inside. What I would guess is that the sheet metal itself may be a point guage more than normal as there will be a cut out section.

9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

@romeo and jumu:

Well, atleast the Puntos have three impact beams running across the roof and if you are installing the sunroof you sure are to disturb one atleast.

And am shocked to see comments like just hollow and just to protect from sun and rain. :eek:

So a simple tarpaulin will do know? So bad of Fiat to provide a metal roof with structural beams. :D

Jokes aside, you guys should know how much of engineering and structural changes go into converting a coupe to a convertible. And even after factoring in those, the convertible counterparts don't handle as good as the coupes. It's not so easy to dismiss off a roof from a car.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

The roof itself is very, very important. And in the case of Punto, it is very strong . We have seen pics of toppled Puntos with intact roofs.

And this ofcourse :

Not in favour of compromising it.
    5 people like this.