1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Wearables - Are they worth wearing?

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by avnsiva, May 7, 2015.

1. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    Recently the market is flooded with many fitness bands. They claim to track how many steps we make. track our consumption, calories burnt and our sleeping habits.

Have someone in this forum used these fitness bands? Did the data that these bands collect practically usable?

Also not clear on whats the difference between the bands in different price bands.

Xiaomi Mi Band - 999
    Goqii - 1600 (Inclusive of 3 month coach)

And some expensive bands like
    Garmin Vivofit
    Fitbit..etc

DO the expensive ones comes with more features?

Your comments and suggestions please....
  2. rejin_r

rejin_r Amatore

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    hi avnsiva,

i have not used any fitness band till now, however i had plans to buy MiBand from China at the time it got released.

here are my 2 cents.

Yes. they work and the data is practically usable. Many of the good bands are capable of monitoring the data quite well.

yes, they do vary much on the specification.
    1) looks
    2) Compatibility - some bands will not be compatible with your mobile/ OS.
    3) battery life - 2 days/1 month/ 1 year
    4) Grade of component.
    5) Water resistant - eg: xiaomi band can be used while taking shower, but should not be worn while going to pool
    6) Some bands are capable of monitoring your step only when connected to phone, some can monitor even if not connected to phone and pass the information to app once it get connected. u may not need to carry your phone while going for jogging.
    7) Display - some have digital display/ cheaper ones mostly use few LEDs.
    8) Compatibility with apps - eg: xiaomi band is capable of using only the default alarm app, also will not have option to snooze or switchoff alarm.
    9) Durability of the band/module.

hope this helps :)