1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Weak FM signal in NCR or antenna issue?

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by Maxtor, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    I don't think this problem had been there when I bought the car two years ago and it has progressed gradually. But now 3-4 FM stations receive weak signal or just don't catch at some points and it automatically goes into search mode. While driving other cars I have noticed that it does not happen and FM signal is always very strong with clear audio.

Could it be a problem with the antenna? Anyone faced this issue?

Due to this issue I rarely switch on FM radio and prefer to listed to my own CD.

CD is preferable because the pen drive thingy is quite tough to put in - as you know it's in the glove box and you have to bend while sitting(unique pose!) and squint your eye to put the pen drive into the rectangular USB slot!! This is surely designed by an Italian only because a Jap, Korean, American or German can't think of designing like this(he may lose his job...lol). If you use USB for music you have to do the bending exercise before and after each trip in your car.

Also, you can't leave a USB in the glove box unlike CDs because it gets damaged because of heat especially in the sauna effect inside the car in summer.

Back to the FM problem - any solutions?
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    This issue has happened to me too.. i suspect that the receiver and the antenna are fault in FIAT.
    My reasons..
    Even when i'm areas where i know there is a good FM transmission my car does not pick up the frequencies well.
    I've even tried with my friend's honda and we tested the quality . I always found that my FM had more disturbance than his.

Point 2:
    I used to have a FM modulator that could play via bluetooth, USB, pick up calls and plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. I was just not able to use it in my car as there was tremendous disturbance. the surprising part is again when i put it in my friend's honda it worked flawlessly.. So well in fact that he bought it from me.
    It's been a year since i sold it and till date he has not reported a single problem.

So my guess is that the only issue here could be the quality of the receiver and the antenna.
  3. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    @Maxtor: You have AF switching mode "ON". Turn it off and this problem should be resolved. When this mode is on, the HU automatically searches for the next station in case the signal detected is low.
  4. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    I think that both the antenna & receiver are at fault here. AF switching mode doesn't do any good - at least in my TJet. My 8 year old Santro's system has very good reception as compared to TJet.
    1 person likes this.
  5. abhiuday

abhiuday Amatore

New Delhi
    I am having the same problem. tried the solution provided by nitin. Didn't work. Thinking of upgrading the HU.
  6. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    I have noticed that the reception is not good, atleast in Gurgaon. Also, in some places I am able to catch more stations and at other places only a couple of them. I have stopped listening to FM due to the inferior reception in Gurgaon and stick to USB and CD
  7. someshvar

someshvar Timido

Bangalore
    Well, that's the case with my Punto as well. Whenever I am in confined spaced such as basement parking it does not receive FM signals properly and there is a lot of disturbance. Sometimes, it does not detect one of my favorite channels in auto scan; I have to manually scan it. But have never saw it switching to another channel as such.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    problem is not with the HU alone .. it could be becuase of the antenna as well.. Just get it swapped with a new one and see if it does you any good..
    These days i rarely listen to radio as i can connect AUX to my phone so i'm spared..
    1 person likes this.