1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Weak Air conditioner in Punto 1.3 MJD Active

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sanfiat, Jul 1, 2014.

1. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Folks.
    My car is 3 years old now. Air conditioning was always a pain. Got it done quite a few times They have tried everything upto now, Cooling coil replacement, O-rings, Work on Compressor etc etc. It works out ok for a week or so and then the A.C limps back to it's moderate weak functioning. It just can't chill. Somehow i am managing moving around with whatever is available. Iam sure it wont survive another summer season. And i think i will get cranked in my head and would throw the whole crappy AC system out of the car and get a new one fitted. Im out of warranty by the way.
    My query:
    1. Can we fit in a complete AC system which is proven and has good reputation. Im not sure if i can trust FIAT Airconditioners any more. Can a Air conditioner fitted in Ford Figo or any other car be fitted in punto. Something which is strong and can fight the cursed heat of delhi. Please suggest.
    2. I would like to replace the whol;e thing- compressor and pipes and seals and whatever that comprises the current system. So how much it might cost me if i do that. Compressor itself would be around 35 to 40 K i think.

Help me out guys....
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Start by collecting all invoices marking AC related replacements and labour items on invoice and scanning them. Prepare an essay of your experiences and email to Fiat attaching invoices; also CC to Mangesh Kodalkar and the CRM of FASS where your car goes for routine services.

Ask them why this is happening inspite of repeated repairs and how they can help you with it for long term resolution of this issue. Using gmail for correspondence helps to quote emails in a threaded manner. Post further as things progress.
    1 person likes this.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Was condenser or evaporator ever changed in your car, get condenser changed as with gas charged so many times the dissecant in receiver drier would be full of moisture and choked causing abnormally high pressure in high side. Get the gas charged from original dupont r134a gas cans and not from those big cylinders which ensures no air gets into system.
    what brand condenser, radiator and fan are installed in your car kale or behr. Only difference between the two is that behr system is completely sealed with help of rubber flaps from all four sides so radiator fan can,t suck air from gap between these parts forcing all air to flow through condenser and it makes huge difference when temp is high outside.
    If its kale get it sealed with help of foam from all four sides
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Can the 'auto AC' system of a Linea be transplanted onto a Punto with a manual AC controller?
  5. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi, thanks there.... Could try this. But ironically had done this a year back too . Had written to Fiat and mangesh but they didnt bother to reply. Not a word. I wrote them twice if i recall correctly.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Hi Vijay, thanks for your reply bud. I dont think they changed the condenser yet. But getting it changed now is gonna hit my pocket. Must be 35 to 40 k right ?. So if i got to change it, can you advise me which brand should i go forward with. You look pretty sound with the technical part of it. Do advise. And sadly i have no idea whether it's kale or behr. Thanks again.
  6. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If Fiat help line is not replying, put a query in their facebook, they are doing very prompt reply there.
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Behr make costs 5k and Kale make costs 7k. Before changing condenser take your car to AC speacilist in your area he can tell you if condenser is clogged by plugging his gauges in ac pipe and see what the low side and high side pressures are. Does the compressor cycles (on/off) frequently when temp outside is high can be checked by listening to engine sound.
    Only the drier dissectant can be changed by opening the plug in condenser as there is a provision in condenser for it but fiat don't provide required part as genuine spare but provide screw (termed as plug in fiat part catalog) that hold dissectant bag. Try your luck may find it with any other part supplier in your city but chances are very less.
    Don't understand why fiat provide the screw as geniuine spare but don't provide drier dissectant bag really silly thinking from Fiat.

@sine04 It is doable but will make a huge dent in your pocket. New wire harness, body computer, complete ac air flow assebly box including blower, auto ac controller, sunlight sensor and many other parts.
    2 people like this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @sanfiat, fixing a new ac even if you can get it from a broken car at fractional cost will not ensure long term trouble free performance.

I think investigating as per Vijay Khasa's suggestions and also reminding Mahesh Kodalkar with reminder emails will help getting more support for this AC issue.

Once you know how to diagnose and fix the issues you will be more comfortable with the current AC setup.

- - - Merged Post - - -

@Vijay Khasa, do you mean desiccant like silica gel.
    1 person likes this.
  9. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks a ton vijay for explaining it so crisp and clear. I guess i have a clearer picturer in my mind now. Will try checking out this soon..
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @asimpleson
    Yes i meant desiccant instead of dissectant. Thanks for correcting my mistake, ipad auto correction should really be hanged till death.
    Can't edit previous posts now

See the image below if your car have kale parts the space where you see foam will have gap if you don't see gap you have behr parts. Did this sealing at home to improve cooling

image.jpg
    1 person likes this.