1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Wayanad trip , need suggestions

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by bsrej, Dec 12, 2013.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Sreejith, no dividers. Just two laned. But trust me, you will love it.

More fun than just cruising along on the tolled roads.
    1 person likes this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    The route you are going to take should depend on where you are going to stay in Wayanad. The area around Kalpetta are heavily crowded. My personal preference to stay in Wayanad would be around the area of Thirunelly-Kattikulam. You have to make a choice here.

Again, I would suggest you to take the route through Nagarhole once to enjoy the forests and the scenic beauty. The route should be Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta - Tholpetty. Other than this route my personal preference would be through Sathyamangalam even though it is slightly far. The thimbam ghats are just awesome to drive. Again, be prepared for the average road condition from Gundlupet to Chamrajnagara.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    As rightly pointed the Kalpetta area is crowded and would look quite similar to the City atmosphere and during during a holiday season, it can only get worser.

On the route front, The Sathyamangalam one is the best one in terms of driving experience. The traffic is less and the Tjet will love the corners. But watch out for sudden potholes between Chamarajanagar and Gundlupet. If you opt to stay anywhere near Thirunelly, the route I would prefer is Gundlupet - Sultanbatthery - Mananthavady - Thirunelly for the simple reason, the road condition is far better and loads of twisties to enjoy. Driving on Bangalore - Mysore road during day time is like punishing oneself for 2 reasons, menacing two wheelers and numerous humps.

Hunsur - Nagarhole (checkpost while coming from Hunsur) the road condition is good, Checkpost to Nagarahole - Kutta - The roads are bad to worse. Once you cross the Kerala border, the roads get better.
    1 person likes this.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    For going to Ssultan bathery via Bangalore i would suggest:
    Bangalore- Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamrajnagar- Gundlupet-Sultan bathery.

And for going to Thirunelly via Bangalore as suggested by ramjn, the best route would be:
    Bangalore- Srirangapatnam- Hunsur- Nagarhole- Tholpetty-Thirunelly (avoid entering mysore city)
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    No. You can find the numbers from the net. Mine was really last min finding when I travelled earlier this year.
    1 person likes this.
  6. sands

sands Timido

Bangalore
    Do keep in mind one thing, road through Nagarhole sanctuary (between sanctuary gate, exactly 20km from Hunsur to sanctuary exit, 8km before Kutta town) remains closed from 6pm to 6am. And the road between Gundlupet (forest checkpost at Maddur/moolaholle) and Sulthan bathery remains closed from 9PM to 6AM.
    1 person likes this.
  7. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    i too concur with driv3r and Ramjn.Thimbam ghats is wonderful to enjoy your JET."NEVER EVER MISS THIS THIMBAM GHATS"

i went to wayanad 2 months back, there are 4 resort on top of wayanad near thirunelly.
    1.Agraharam- costly around 4k/night,ample car park,compliment break fast
    2.KCTC-govt hotel- old school type,around 2k per night
    3.himagiri - good,ramjn had stayed
    4.casa cloud. -cheap 1300/night,but need offroad skill to get down and up.

recommend only these four places to stay is good to enjoy the climate and secenic.

never stay in vathiri,it is like staying in t nagar renganathan street.

last but not least you never going to forget wayand amidst many ghats,this is the only place to see wild elephants cross your way.

i went late to climb ghat after 6pm, a phone to ramjn came a surprise advice never go alone,so waited for a bus,perhaps there comes a tavera,i followed it.

encounter 4 elephants en-route to resort.out of enthusiasm i slowed a bit on seeing small elephant.it scared a shit out of me by loud voice.on go second one on

a hairpin bend,really a massive one.i am an atheist yet i prayed all god to reach safely.so never come out after dark sure you are going to encounter big boys.

There is Muniyappan idly shop at 3 way entrance of ghat,have BF there.
    1 person likes this.
  8. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks to all friends for the advice and suggestions:D. But still I am couldn't book a hotel, almost every thing is overbooked :(
  9. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Finally booked in Crescent residency today :smile:.

Meanwhile, one my colleagues mentioned that traffic delays are common in Dhimbham ghat section due to break downs of trucks which would result in delays for hours :-?..........
  10. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    My father used to do this stretch twice a week and did not face any delays because of breakdowns. You might get to see the elephant which loves sugarcane and Bison on the first or 2 second hairpin bend ;), this was a 3 years back, but I am hoping things would not have changed so much. Its worth the drive by the way, there are a couple of "S" bends which will keep you grinning :) non stop. Do watch out for the unmarked speed breakers once you get into Karnataka. Drive safe, have a great trip!!!
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013