1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Waxing my punto or polishing it? or both? Deeply concerned.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by theblack, Feb 5, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi all,

I've been reading so much about car detailing lately that now I'm terribly confused(Too much is too bad ;) ).
    I've been polishing my punto from the past 2 yrs and I have never waxed it till date( I use Aromor all liquid polish)

What i generally do is once in 15-20 days I was the car thoroughly, wipe it clean and directly apply the above mentioned polish.
    But when i get info of when to use a polish and wax (via youtube and other online docs) I find that almost always polish is "ONLY" used to remove minor scratches and then wax is applied.
    Its also mentioned that regularly polishing the car will actually strip it of its paint.

Are these guys on youtube and other places referring to a different kind of a polish or something?
    Should I stop using polish right away?
    Or, can i continue applying that same polish 15-20 days once and then start with applying wax over it as well?
    Now i'm deeply concerned.
    Please advice.
  2. Prajith

Prajith Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    As to my understanding, polishing your car so frequently is not good to your paint. It is done to remove imperfections, swirls, etc. then followed by a milder (finishing) polish to remove any hazing or slight marring and bring back the gloss to the finish. Now waxing is a layer of protection on top of the paint to sustain what you have achieved through polishing. To keep your car shining you just need to wax it whenever you feel the paint surface of your car paint is rough. You can feel the smoothness of waxing when you glide the back of your hand to the paint surface. A good wax like collinite 845 will last for 3 to 4 months or even more.

In short, inspect your paint and then polish it when you find lot of swirl mark or minor scratches (once a year). Wax your car when your the paint surface is rough (2 or 3 times a year). It depends on environmental elements your car typically endures. If your vehicle is kept garaged on a daily basis, then a polish or wax can last as long :)
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

@theblack: if you have not done it yet, read this thread - http://www.teamfiat.co.in/do-yourself/53-diy-car-care-detailing-thread.html and my posts from http://www.teamfiat.co.in/do-yourse...ing-thread-13.html?53-DIY-CAR-CARE=#post68652

Hope they will give you a clear understanding of teh detailing process.

In a nutshell, do not polish your car every month. Use a good quality wax (either carnauba or synthetic) and polish the only once in 6 months or so. I would suggest you stop using the current product you are using.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Do not polish your very frequently. Polishing will take some micro layer of paint to give a smooth polished surface. What we need to do frequently is waxing. washing the car once in a week is fine. I used to wash the car daily and now stopped it since washing and wiping will take away the wax coat. Instead of that what I do daily is dusting. I have made strands of very thin cotton cloth and tide them together. It worked well. It is so smooth that it hardly make any swirl marks on the surface. The car shines like anything. So please avoid polishing. I use collinite 915 wax. satisfied with it. You can find it in www.bringingbest.com, New Delhi, India
  5. anoop

anoop Superiore

Interesting. Can you post some pictures of the duster you have made? May be some of us can take a leaf from it and make one :)
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Anoop, It is very simple. What we need is a thermocol and and a fine cotton dothi(which mallus wear). Then take a small piece of thermocol and cut it from top so that the cotton strands can fit inside the gaps. Make ~60 cm long and 1-2 cm wide strands of out of cotton doti. lesser width and more in numbers will be more effective than more wider and lesser in numbers. 5 year old kid will simply enjoy to make those strands. Then tie the gap along with strands with a nylon thread without a gap so that it will serve as a grip and the strands are tight. while keeping the strands first fold it and keep it on the gap so that the ends of the strands falls on both side of thermocol. This will allow the strands not move away from each other while dusting.Total number of strands shoud be enough to make a it thick.
    (Never try this on saree :lol: )
    duster.jpg
    2 people like this.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Thank you all for the response.
    I'm extremely sad that I didnt ask this question earlier. DAMN....
    Anyway off to buy a good wax..
    Thank you all very very much
  8. anoop

anoop Superiore

@sungoa2010: thanks for the explanation and diagram... :)