1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Want to buy Punto MJD EP but......

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by mahen.jnk, May 28, 2011.

1. mahen.jnk

mahen.jnk Novizio

Hyderabad
    I have been using Indica (2000, 2002 and 2006 models) for last 10 years, M800 prior to Indicas with Amby being the first vehicle bought in 1991. All diesels except M800. Though I didn't face any issues with the indicas, their Service and taxi image made me look for a new car; must be a diesel but not from Tata for obvious reasons. My budget is 7L but will be able stretch upto 10L for linea. If not linea I would stick to hatch in 7L range.

I considered Swift, Punto and I20 but ruled out swift as current model is going to get phased out. I20 is also dropped due to its AC problem, turbo lag and higher cost. This leaves me with Punto or wait till Aufgust 2011 for new Swift.

We all liked the Punto very much and I am quite impressed with its city drivability and features in E-Pk.

What is making me take the back step with Punto is there have been lot complaints on the net with spares being not available, lack of expertise in the service stations, Fiat-India's financial position. I also read somewhere that Fiat India may go bankrupt anytime with huge losses being reported year after year. The reason for this suspicion being they may not be able to survive with just 2K vehicle per month. I want to keep the car for at least 6-7 years and I don't want it to go like the Cielo or Matiz way.

So I need your views before deciding..

1) Is it really a problem with fiat's spares and service? I live in Hyderabad.
    2) Do we need to leave the vehicle in the service center till the part is arrived from Pune? It sometimes take months as seen in several posts on the net.
    3) What will happen to existing fiat vehicles if they stop production and close the factory in India.

-M
  2. fiat is not going bankrupt and this information is not correct.
    the parts if the order is placed you will get in a maximum of 15days. but make sure that those guys place an order.
    these SA are lazy to place orders also.

fiat will not stop production for sure. they make engines and also tata cars in their factory at ranjangaon..
    lack of expertise is not an issue as the mechanics are capable of the basic reapirs and also, for any bigger thing the engineers come down and solve the issues.

WELCOME TO TFI.
    there is no issues with you buying a punto. but wait for a couple of months as there is a new punto(evo) coming as per speculations and the air over this might get cleared in a month or two
  3. Hi M, welcome to TFI.
    To clear your doubts, suggest go through the various ownership reviews in the forum. Most of the them are happy with their FIATs.

I would strongly advise you to get a FIAT only if you are 100 percent confident and clear in your mind. Else, go for any other brand which you think is appealing and safe to own.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I agree with Bnzjon. Finally one has to go for what one likes, just like marriage.One has their own priorities. One thing to mention about the engine is that it become more and more smooth as odo reading increases. I had read in other forum about people saying that Figo's engine becoming noisier after 5K.If your priority is solid build quality,driving dynamics,FE and uniqueness go for it.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    @mahen

Dude, there really are no issues pertaining to FIAT which are not found in other manufacturers also.

Its just that the image has taken a beating due to some unconfirmed rumors doing the rounds in various forums , by people whose views are taken as true and final by many.

As Bnzjon has said , take some time out and go through the ownership section of TFI. You'll get unbiased reports on FIATs.
    There is both praise and criticism wherever it is due.

As for my opinion, go for the Punto. Its the segment benchmark. The Koreans need to take the i20 back to the drawing board to even think of bettering the Punto.

As for your questions :
    1. As with all manufacturers , the items which do not see regular use may take time coming from the factory. Regulars are not a problem , except in extreme circumstances where the dealer may delay ordering parts from the factory.

2. This i leave for the more experienced hands to answer.

3. FIAT India has made it clear that they are here to stay. Rest assured on this count.
    Palio 1.9D was discontinued years ago . But you can still get its parts easily. Aftermarket and from the Tata-FIAT dealer.

Gurjinder.
  6. @mahen: Welcome to TFI and wish you all the best for your car hunt. I hope and wish your next car is Punto or Linea.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    mahen, Welcome to TFI.

The questions you asked - seems to be what keeps people from buying a Fiat. I have been asked these questions several times by others on the road. Recently I was followed by two guys in an Alto and I was stopped and asked these questions - primarily how the service is.

Well the answer I can give is I have not faced any problem with service that can be considered serious. Minor inconveniences and irritants I have faced with other manufacturers as well. I did not feel others to be significantly better in this area.
    As for going bankrupt and stopping production - these are rumors spread by those who have no clue as to what is going on.
    Fiat in India is a 50:50 joint venture with TATA and so they cannot just windup and go and even if that happens, the support will be available for years.
  8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @mahen,
    I second Gurjinder's statement about "Punto being the benchmark in its segment". I am a satisfied owner of the 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk. It is a car that you will enjoy driving. I have not had any issues with servicing etc.

Unfortunately, a combination of poor marketing by Fiat, and "Fiat bashing" by a lot of people - for whatever reason, has ensured that the brand has taken a beating. It is a pity.

Regards
    Johnny
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi Mahen,

If you need a vehicle that can take you from point A to point B, u dont really need a punto or any fiat for that matter. most others from the segment will do the job for you.

On the other hand, If you r the kind of person who would love to drive from point A to point B just because you have the car that you have..fiats are the way to go..
  10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    when somebody thinks and acts ahead of his own time people around will feel uncomfortable and difficult to accommodate. that is the fate of fiat since day one. i am one of the happy fiat owner from kerala .and i am proud of it.

people in india were going gaga about swift diesel mjd and its performance . the same people when encountered some small issues they reverted cursing it is all because of fiat engine blah blah. people need something to blame on and internet is on finger tip.

there used to be some service niggles previously when tata service techs where handling fiat cars . but now fiat has its own trained technicians and service staffs at every tata-fiat service centre and service quality is of course at par with rest of the brands.(though we cannot overlook human errors and carelessness )