1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Want to be stung by Scorpion - but which one?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Devil, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Devil

Devil Timido

Ahmedabad
    Dear Members,

Last weekend I test drove an Abarth Punto for a couple of hours (@ Kashyap Fiat - Delhi). I loved Abarth Punto. Every bit of it. It handles like a dream. The Abarth Punto even handled small stretches of broken roads pretty well.

However, I am still concerned about Abarth Punto's ground clearance in the longer run (ownership duration). Having scraped the underside of my father's Palio (Feb 2002) so many times (165mm GC), I had shifted to biking, now need a FIAT again as my wife accompanies me to most places!!

As part of my travels I have seen many a highways disappear all off a sudden into unpaved/under-construction roads. The detours due to traffic jams as well as my birding trips take me to villages and mild off roads too. I believe, the Abarth Punto is not designed for carrying out this kind of duty. Once in a while - maybe yes, but definitely not on a regular basis. Especially on full loads.

Unfortunately, I test drove the Avventura (diesel) immediately after driving Abarth Punto for a couple of hours. Whereas I am yet to get a test drive of Avventura Powered by Abarth (Delhi, Jaipur, Ahmedabad - tried all locations, been waiting since October). This resulted in direct and biased comparisons between two non-equal vehicles.

Just found out there are a few owners of Abarth Punto and Fiat Avventura 'Powered by Abarth' on the forum!! Would appreciate if owners of the Abarth Powered vehicles can share their ownership experience.

1. How Avventura handles the bump in power when compared to Abarth Punto. Is there a huge trade-off in handling and steering when compared to Punto? Is there large body role? How visible is it?
    2. Is the engine equally refined? How does it perform in city / highway conditions, braking under different conditions (city/highway/off-roads) and under heavy breaking?
    3. I have read that it has a more comfortable ride quality as compared to Abarth Punto due to not so firm suspensions? Is it correct?
    4. Which seats are better and more comfortable over longer distances? My wife thought the seating of Avventura were more comfortable, I found both to be same, but then driver seats were height adjustable.
    5. I am told that the spare wheel of the Avventura can be put back into its original slot (i.e. inside the boot, by replacing the thermocol tool kit) if one desires to do so in future, and spare mounting swing arm can also be removed. Is it true? Did any long term owner of Avventura find the spare mount becoming loose / rattly after a year or so?
    6. I was told that the Abarth versions come with 'Harman-JBL' In Car Entertainment system and speakers? Is it true? Has anyone cross checked that? I (my wife) liked the Abarth Punto ICE, does the Avventura Powered by Abarth has the same ICE? The brochures seem to suggest they are same!!!
    7. What is the running in period/specifications of either cars as mentioned in the manual?

Thanks in advance.

The Devil
    Dr Nitin Dutta and Murphy_Fiat like this.
  2. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
  3. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Devil . Mate eyes closed go for Abarth. Wanna get stung then should be the baddest scorpion. None other than the Abarth in a Punto version. The only tru blue abarth in India. Rest all are more diluted. The GC should not be a problme becuase of the stiffly sprung suspension.
  4. Dr Nitin Dutta

Dr Nitin Dutta Novizio

Guwahait; Assam INDIA
    Guwahati
    Avventura 1.4
    @Devil
    Here goes my answers to your queries; after owning the Avventura Abarth for over a month now. Hope it helps you in making the decision. Happy mile and safe crunching...

· How Avventura handles the bump in power when compared to Abarth Punto. Is there a huge trade-off in handling and steering when compared to Punto? Is there large body role? How visible is it?

Avventura Abarth handles the power better than the Punto. There is no trade-off whatsoever. I had test drove both before settling down for the Avvy. There is no body roll. The so called torque steer perpetrated by the Auto mags in their reviews is pure bull-shit IMO. You can even induce torque in almost every front wheeled drive vehicle if you do not know your driving basics

· Is the engine equally refined? How does it perform in city / highway conditions, braking under different conditions (city/highway/off-roads) and under heavy breaking?

It is the same refined engine though the output of the Avvy Abarth is 140 BHp compared to the 145 BHp of the Punto. It makes no difference, as such, unless you are into drag racing...

Once in the power band around 1800 RPM it simply exhilarates. Disc brakes on all four wheels ensures that it stops as fast as it accelerates.

You will love to see cars vanishing in your RVMs on the highway.

· I have read that it has a more comfortable ride quality as compared to Abarth Punto due to not so firm suspensions? Is it correct?

Yes it is correct.

· Which seats are better and more comfortable over longer distances? My wife thought the seating of Avventura were more comfortable, I found both to be same, but then driver seats were height adjustable.

I guess this is a matter of personal tastes / preference.

· I am told that the spare wheel of the Avventura can be put back into its original slot (i.e. inside the boot, by replacing the thermocol tool kit) if one desires to do so in future, and spare mounting swing arm can also be removed. Is it true? Did any long term owner of Avventura find the spare mount becoming loose / rattly after a year or so?

Yes it can be put inside the boot and the mounting swing arm can also be removed. But I would not do it EVER because the tail mounted spare wheel give the Avventura its unique sexy look.

· I was told that the Abarth versions come with 'Harman-JBL' In Car Entertainment system and speakers? Is it true? Has anyone cross checked that? I (my wife) liked the Abarth Punto ICE, does the Avventura Powered by Abarth has the same ICE? The brochures seem to suggest they are same!!!

The ICE of both are the same Harmon Kardon head unit with 4 JBL speakers. You have to listen to the output ; it's awesome.

· What is the running in period/specifications of either cars as mentioned in the manual?

The running period is not mentioned in the manual. To play it safe; run in for a distance of 1600 Kms (1000 miles); which I guess is the standard for petrol engines.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Dr Nitin Dutta

To the point replies. Hats off to you. A true Avvy fan speaks. I always have a soft corner for the Avvy be it Abarth or normal for the sheer road presence it has. Makes the stiffest head turn at least once.

@Devil Can understand the dilemma. I hope you test drive the Avvy Abarth model to come over the unequal vehicle issue extensively to come to a conclusion.
    Dr Nitin Dutta and Murphy_Fiat like this.
  6. Devil

Devil Timido

Ahmedabad
    @Dr Nitin Dutta
    Thank you for your to the point replies. Helped quenching the pre-booking anxieties to a large extent.

@ghodlur
    Received a call from Kashyap Fiat @ New Delhi sometime back. They had the Avventura (Abarth) with them. Unfortunately its was with them only for 4 hours (media vehicle for NCR). Can't make it. Guess will wait for a week more, else will have to take a leap of faith.
    Murphy_Fiat and Dr Nitin Dutta like this.
  7. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    My personal choice would be Abarth Avvy for putting in power and practicality suitable for Indian roads.
    Dr Nitin Dutta likes this.
  8. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Even My Choice will be Avvy Abarth for its sheer road presence. and a perfect crossover
  9. Vikrant Joshi

Vikrant Joshi Regolare

Pune
    A Red Avvy Abarth indeed suits perfectly for both highways and Roughways!