1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Want optional safety features with base variants in Punto and other Fiat cars.

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by basis, May 6, 2011.

1. basis

basis Amatore

Importance of basic safety features (ABS and Airbags mostly) is very much discussed/acknowledged in this form and overall.so now Its time to demand for choice.

At one side, car ads show importance of these features with some graphics also(Mostly when launched first), but on other side all car manufacturer offers these safety features only with huge PREMIUM.

Why not we should have ALL FIAT car models with safety, ABS (not airbags), so it should be up to customer to choose between safety and luxury(?) features in case of limited budget.

I don't understand why I should buy body colored mirrors/body colored bumpers/OEM ICE/etc.etc.. first to qualify for safety features.

So, in summary, I want all FIAT cars should include ABS,Alloy in the base model and other 'not' important features in the top models.
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    safety in a car is not totally ABS or airbags. it is how you drive or how lucky you are.

safety features comes at a huge cost naturally due to royalty and r&d , manufacturer does realize that and let individual decide what one needs in his car.

drive safe.
  3. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

@Basis, you are talking about factory customization, something like Dell has adopted in manufacturing thier laptops / servers / Desktops... they list out base components (Must) + all other options that will complete the car along with various Warranty types... hence a customeer is allowed choose + mix and match and pay for the same.

I agree with your views + I also agree with Jayadev's comments on luck factor as a vital role for safe driving
  4. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its a global norm that every vehicles which comes on the road should have at least 2 airbags and ABS.as it's a standard fitments in all cars sold in Europe and in gulf.Indian government is least bothered about safety of passengers.they should make it mandate unlike other European countries...

Indian car manufacturers are just making their numbers and minting money....they just pay some tax to Indian govt and govt keep their mouth mum......
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  5. sungoa2010

It is a matter of proud for Fiatians that Fiat was the first hatch to come with a air bag (Palio D). Please correct me if this information is wrong. I don't recoollect whether any sedans had airbag in those days.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Na mate, the Palio 1.9 D was never offered with airbags,

We bought our Palio 1.9D brand new back in Aug 2005, the ELX 'top' model and airbag was not a standard fitment, nor an option.

7. Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX SP PS was the very first hatch in India to come with ABS, EBD and driver side airbag.

Well. Talking of the segment first features in Fiat cars, I would like to share some 'segment first safety features by Fiat'.

• First hatchback which came with rear fog lamps : Fiat Uno
    • First hatchback which came with anti knock engine and double crank prevention : Fiat Uno
    • First hatchback which came with eccentric rail front seat mechanism : Fiat Uno
    • First hatchback which came with Reverse gear lock : Fiat Palio
    • First hatchback which came with tubeless tires : Fiat Palio
    • First hatchback which came with drive by wire technology : Fiat Palio
    • First hatchback which came with seat belt height adjustment feature : Fiat Palio
    • First hatchback which came with 'water in diesel tank' feature : Fiat Palio

How come you missed Fiat Siena?

You got it wrong there, Gurjinder Saab. :d

Fiat Palio 1.9 D ELX SP PS AW came with driver side airbag, ABS, EBD and height adjustable seat belts. For the record, we had owned the above mentioned version for a good number of years. :D
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  8. sungoa2010

9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

@klubclass and sungoa

Yes, my bad.

There was a version with the above mentioned features which due to the extra cost was rejected when we bought ours and it skipped my mind all these years, until you reminded me of them. Thanks for that !

10. A quick search on my HDD ended up with this pic. :d

If you observe carefully, you'll find that the steering wheel of our Fiat Palio D is different from the usual Fiat Palio, indicating the presence of airbag. :D

I will try and see if I could get more pics from my external HDD. :confused: