1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Walls : Royally Played..

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by zenwalker, Aug 19, 2013.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Dear Guys,

We got our living room walls and 1 bed room wall painted with Royal play paints just yesterday and today.

I am sure many of you would have seen it on the AD's alot and even at some places.
    So whats all the fuss about! Why this thread huh! You may wonder :?...

Well when we decided to get it done, we started to do a bit of research about which design, which texture, which color and how would it look on the wall and how they might do it, etc.

So for us, the google would just get some Asian paints gallery which are taken by professional photographers with lots of lighting and everything. So the real pictures will not be the same. Thus for us googling was just as looking at the brochures. Tried with FB, blogs, videos, etc. all same.

Next we started to look for the actual designs done at the paint shops. In bangalore, there are hardly very few shops which has designs done on their shop walls. We could find just 2 shops in the 10-15km radius from our area (Company restrictions). But those 2 shops didnt had all the designs done on the wall. Also every shop has the same brochures which has fancy Photoshopped pics. So again we are back to square one.

The prices of these paints are no way cheap. So we can not do a trial and test basis, also doesnt make sense. We called in couple of guys who do this job and ask their opinions too. Basically we did not wanted a too much overly design which hurts eyes nor too dull design. Also the color combo should be good enough to not hurt eyes but not too dull yet should please the watching eyes.

Trust me when i say this, it was really really hard for us to decide. We took almost a month to come up with a design which looked nice to us yet we were not 100% satisfied with our decisions. But we went ahead rather than waiting. First we though of choosing the latest designs Dune and Safari. But these new textures are rough and you can not wash the wall if it gets dirty. So ruled out.

These play paints comes with mat finishes and metallic finish. The same design with similar color looks very different in metallic and mat, told by one painter. So again confused to go with metallic or mat.

With lot of discussions again, holding the fancy pics from the brochure to artificial light and to the natural light also sourcing few already done pics from these workers on their cell phones (poor quality pics) we manage to come up with a 70-80% firm decision on the design and color.

Have managed to get the pics in natural light and with flash on (with out natural light).

Hope it helps you guys in some ways. :)

DSC04230.jpg DSC04232.JPG DSC04233.jpg DSC04234.jpg DSC04237.JPG DSC04239.jpg

4 people like this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Way to go Zen bhai :) Very nice
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks buddy, hope it helps fellow TFIians if they are planning.
  4. jpshya

jpshya Timido

Bangalore
    Zen - Interesting to know about the design you have chosen. Even we had the same dilemma as yours (how it would look in actual?? :confused:) with limited details available in internet/brochures. But we as you said, went ahead with what we thought will good for our interiors. Below are photos of our living room.

DSC_3517.jpg
    DSC_3574.jpg

Was very much satisfied with the outcome and everyone who visited our home, did a special mention about the royal play.
    It was done in March 2013.

I am happy to see your walls. You can add few more pics once you setup the interiors.
    2 people like this.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Yep your walls looks very nice. Thanks for the pics as well. sure will add more pics later on.
  6. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    BTW, what is the cost of single wall royal painting? I am in a similar dilemma for my new house.
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    The paints are a bit costly and depends on what type you choose: metallics or non metallics. Ill let you know or post a pic of the bill which we bought. But yes its costly. All are above 600 INR. It also depends on the design you choose. Many designs have 3 paint coats and few have 2 paint coats.

The labour wise, he took 38INR/Sq ft for non metallics. And 48INR/Sq. ft for metallics. This includes material cost and wall care i.e primer, sanding, putty, 3/2 coat paints.

Please do note that some labours charge different rates for different designs. If a design has more coats then charge is bit more.
  8. pradeepg245

pradeepg245 Amatore

Hyderabad
    We can also try wall papers which come in many colours, textures & price ranges. We used 80 rs/sqft. Looks very nice. I will post pictures later

@Jp & Zen, both the colours look nice.
  9. jpshya

jpshya Timido

Bangalore
    Thanks. The charges are based on per sqft as mentioned by zen. These are done by asian paints home solutions. These guys do a very professional job, and wouldnt need our presence to carry out their work. I had given my flat keys to them and they completed the job in 2.5 days (each day some 3-4 hours work).
  10. I have done the same to my house in two walls in 2011, in the Hall (weaving non metallic - green color ) and Bed room (metallic brushed lavender). Lots of eyes on them. Gives a better and different feel.