1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

wait for Punto Tjet or slap a Turbo myself ?... sorry .. Hello :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by targa, Aug 11, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    We always downshift before entering a corner, and accelerate through the corner if the vehicle cannot support the present speed through the corner. And the powerband of the 1.4 cannot be as small as a two stroke racer from the 70's. :)

So, unless you drive everyday as if it is a track day, you'll be fine with the 1.4 GP. ;)
  2. targa

targa

Shukhria Gurinderji. My first thread and i get to the thick of things. Nice :). Btw i forgot, I'm from the temple town of Tirupati.

Never been a fan of a super charger cos i'll need to get the hood redesigned to open up space ... and the turbo sounds sweet when spooling down on gear shifts.
    As for the suspension, i'll have to stretch it on tirumala ghats to see if i need them stiffer. Otherwise, i should be fine.

AIR from peter is the first thing planned. The next would be the turbo addition. Tjet runs on GT2056 turbos at 0.8bar (150hp). These have lower compression ratios (9.8:1) as opposed to the stock 11:1 so pistons and conrods should get a swap. But if i run the GT17 on low boost, the low end torque sould be more than enough of a grit. Best part is that i can stay on stock internals. All that has to be done would be the turbo setup and a standalone ECU.

Reliability is of atmost importance. By need, i'm looking for low-mid response changes so wont be running a high boost setup.

Still, lot more homework on cards.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  3. targa

targa

On hard tight inclines, we'll have to run on low gears and just after you shift up ur slowing down and shifting down. One thing here, I'm not complaining about the stock car. I just want to make it better.

Just imagine if you had a Punto that didnt need frequent downshifting and did most justice to the cornering abilities of the chassis, it would bring a broad smile when turning into a corner and more so when exiting it.
  4. targa

targa

My bad. I meant Gurjinderji.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Not necessarily. Tuners in UK have done it while keeping the hood 99% stock. And the whine of a supercharger can be as addictive as the turbo spool.

You'll need a GT15 oil and water cooled. I reckon it is the smallest for this engine. But would it give a lag free performance? I'm sure you can get it to sing by optimising the turbine A/R but it won't be totally lag free which you want from your setup.

As for the amount of work you are looking at to get this setup, i'd be happy driving the stock GP. :)

Cheers.
  6. targa

targa

The reason i dont wanna touch the body work is that i want this one to be a sleeper. Only looking at alloys/tires for changes. I kinda find the supercharger whine to be a moan rather than a tune :D

Yeah GT17 is rated a tad bit high ... GT1548 (100 to 200 bhp) or gt1544(100-150) should suffice the need of keeping good boost at low end. By definition, lag cannot be removed so have to make to the turbo sing from as low a rev as possible.

The work would be progressive. So, will be spread over time.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011