1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

wait for Punto Tjet or slap a Turbo myself ?... sorry .. Hello :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by targa, Aug 11, 2011.

1. targa

Hello there,

I'm one darn fiat admirer, more to do with Maserati than Ferrari but the Punto s2000 ticks all the right boxes ....

Fascination started with Padmini ages ago with its Nissan mill singing a throaty number everytime the throttle was feathered ... Still one of the cars i fight to stay away from.
    Such was its design, Rear wheel drive with a decent(proportions are tad too off) looking shell... Long story why it never made it off my drawing board to reality, dont wanna put you guys to sleep(if u managed to stake awake till now) on my first post.

Latest fascination is the Grande Punto.. the chunky rear is ooh la la... slap it with a rear spoiler from the abarth version and its good to get ogled more...
    Now to the title, all the punto 1.4 versions are based on the same block. Just that the compression ratios change... so the pistons and con rods get a swap... What about the head ? thats where i'm stuck now ... Any clue in this regard guys ?

Anyways, about me, I'm a dude who has more respect for physics than myself... Cars, Fiats, make it more interesting ...I've been a guest here since Jan... Now im glad to be a part of TeamFiat (Thanks @Linea-Lover). Looking forward to a warm stay.

2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Targa, Welcome to TFI.

I would say that with the current fuel prices going up north, it would be better to wish for Punto 1.6MJD or just pick the Punto 90Hp with that Variable Geometry Turbocharger.
  3. targa

Thank You Yashik.

Strictly no diesels. I'd rather spend more on fuel and travel less than limit myself to the short rev range of diesels besides i have to spend more getting a diesel in the first place... not to mention, the exhaust note and the trademark diesel humming inside the cabin. 90HP diesel felt very lethargic on the test drive.

If i face design issues, i always have a padmini to get back to... cut the roof line lower, taut the chassis, 1.8 isuzu petrol breathing thru a carburettor and if need be a turbo on it ... revamp the suspension ... nothin much left that is stock after all these changes but still a rear wheel drive car that weighs nothing and at half the cost of a stock punto ... i know its a little wild but we are enthusiasts, arent we ?

That being said, i dont wanna give up on Punto since its proven to be capable of TC elsewhere around the globe.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. shams

shams Esperto

i may be wrong but i find such comments made only by people who are used to driving petrol cars and during test drive they drive punto-d, linea-d like a petrol car.
  5. targa

Please dont get me wrong. I said it was lethargic not slow. It has a more linear power delivery(couldn't find the turbo lag) than a Fiesta 1.4 tdci which shows clear difference with the turbo lag. Drive a figo diesel and you will know what im talking about ... i reckon its to do with the ECU's map that Fiat has on the 90 HP diesel. This is only on the low end speeds. High speed handling is somethin completely different.

In short i was referring to the acceleration not top speed. To be honest, i'm least bothered if i will reach 160 and the like. I want a car that corners taut and quick. Thats the reason i ended up with punto and thinking of a turbo on the 1.4
  6. shams

shams Esperto

drive one which has run 5000+ kms keeping the rpm in power band..u'll never feel its lethargic..
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

^^ nice thinking. you can swap a turbo to the punto 1.4 with readily available kits from tjet. also you can pick up an ecu directly for the same.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Welcome aboard Targa and its heartening to have a member who is so passionate about the nitty gritty details about the mechanics.

As for your query, you would be better off by supercharging the 1.4 rather than putting a turbo on it. When looking for power in the low and mid of the rev range, the supercharger fits the bill perfectly. It has been done in Europe and i'm sure a bolt on kit can be ordered.
    Or a sequential turbo setup, if you want the best of both worlds. But you need big $$$ and tuner to have complete expertise to even think of attempting such a setup.

The Punto corners on rails as it is, but even then , options will be plenty to make it corner even more sharply. But since our roads don't exactly rival those of the Autobahn, i'd recommend staying with the stock suspension.

I'm sure Linea Lover would already have told you about Peter, and he has done plenty of custom FIAT builds as per his posts.

So, do keep us updated on your plans , since they sound interesting. But whatever tuning you do, make sure reliability is the top priority. Since the fun of blowing engines real fast gets over real fast.

Plus, the heads of the Indian and European Punto may flow differently. So any kit designed to work with the European Punto may not work that well on our Indian GP. A blueprint of the complete head (atleast) would be the bare essential when starting to work on the 1.4.

9. targa

I agree :). But acceleration starts at low revs unless i use heel n toe to keep the engine revs matched to the speed of the car.

However, heel n toe is not possible when tackling positive/negative inclines since grading an incline from the cabin is very difficult.
    Inclines make the loads vary on the engine and matching the engine revs to the speed of the car at a give load is not something that one can do unless each and every corner is quantified.

When exiting a corner power band is not possible by definition. So, low end torque is of atmost importance. The 1.4 has a bigger problem at lower revs but being a petrol it revs quicker. Hence, a low boost turbo is what i think of to bridge the gap on low revs.

On a given positive incline - Fiesta would struggle(Turbo lag) ... Punto D(weight and way of power delivery) would cope up ... Figo d will be better (jus cos its lighter and its ECU map is made to urge)... but then ford india never was a good designer nor does it come close to punto on levels of suspension and the feel of the car.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  10. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai

FORD=frod :mad: