1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

VW launches Polo 1.6 TDI - Now 1.5 TDI launched

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by pdydeva, Sep 13, 2013.

1. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Volkswagen India launched it's 1.6 TDI version of Polo GT today.

The engine is a straight lift from it's sedan siblings Vento and Rapid. Yes, a Polo with 4 cylinder TDI at last. Hope the NVH must be improved which was a drawback as considered by many with the 3-pot 1.2L TDI engine.

Even though VW website gallery shows a clutch-less foot well, the GT TDI version is offered with 5 speed manual gearbox only. Apart from the engine, existing TDI Highline version is garnished with GT logos at door sill, floor mats, front grill along with sporty pedals and "Superior 'Milan' Titanschwarz" upholstery.

The power output is 105 PS @ 4400 rpm and a nice torque of 250 Nm @ 1500-2500 rpm.

Delhi Ex-showroom price starts at 8.08 lakhs INR.

A quick comparison of other offerings in market:
    Fiat Punto 90 HP - 7.38 lakhs
    Fiat Punto sport- 7.60 lakhs
    Hyundai i20 - 7.64 lakhs

As of now, Punto 90 hp is losing the title "Most powerful Indian Diesel hatch".

Hope Fiat bites the bullet by launching the Abarth version of Punto MJD by 2014. But, the question is how competitive the pricing can be?
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Wondering how would the NVH improve when it is already bad with Vento TDI and Rapid TDI. :D
    2 people like this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It should have the same Vento/Rapid TDI NVH characteristics. Which is pretty horrible.

NVH aside, it'll be one fun hatch to drive. The so called "turbo kick" is just way too much fun in the 1.6 TDI. Loads of low down torque as well - punch the pedal and it goes.
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Doesn't matter really! The oodles of torque is something you should taste, I was impressed at the way Rapid pulls. The only deterrent was the steering in that car. Can't imagine how it's going be on a hatch, awaiting a TD now.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    The 1.2 TDI Polo had a huge turbo lag which was one of the reasons of rejecting it during my search. Although the Rapid and the vento are reported of not having any turbo lag I guess the 1.6TDI should also have the same characteristics. The pricing is in the Rapid segment, so personally I wouldnt expect the sales to take off.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Agree that. But, I prefer a car with better controlled NVH for long drives. It is a personal preference though.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I think it's more of a "Halo" car rather than an out and out attempt at increasing sales. Same case as the turbo petrol Polo. Both are sort of Halo cars.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Ramesh, if you haven't already , try and take someone's Rapid or Vento on a long-ish drive on the highway. The NVH etc are well controlled in the long drive scenario. The taller 5th gear means you cruise at somewhere around 1700-1800 rpms while doing 80kmph and 100kmph is only 2000rpm . Relaxed crusing. This was one of the things which I appreciated in the Rapid.

The engine revs out freely too.

Within the city drives and the idling, NVH is hard to ignore, though.
    2 people like this.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So Fiat Punto loses even most powerful diesel hatch tag also.
  9. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    @Ramesh: Reason behind improvement should be the 3 cylinders vs 4 cylinders thingy. However, I haven't personally experienced a 1.6 TDI.

If VW's intention was just to introduce them as an additional variant, then a 2 door variant would have created a spark in the Indian market. However, no idea of it's reception in the "Kitna dheta hai?" country:-D IMO, after experiencing the cramped interiors, Polo will be at it's best as a 2 door hatch.

It's surprising that even the high end versions of Vento/Rapid doesn't have a 195 tyre.

Hope Punto doesn't lose the sales further. From a layman's idea, by paying 40K extra you get a bigger engine.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  10. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

NVH is high at idle,however once on the move it is as refined as the competition.
    And at the price,its good bye i20 Crdi top end,and its a better deal than the 90HP as well.
    A 25K remap takes the power output to 140BHP:cool:
    2 people like this.