1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

VW faces billions of $$ in fines for cheating in tests

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by selwyn.a, Sep 21, 2015.

1. carl_jhonson

carl_jhonson Amatore

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

The NEDC test this talks about depends on cold-start testing, etc. i.e., FCA has not cheated AT ALL, i.e., does not detect when a test is on and then temporarily run emissions control (like VW) but has calibrated their emissions control software to comply with the test requirements. i.e., the emissions cut-off (temporarily) once fully-warm conditions have been achieved by the engine, and is programmed to somehow sync with the average driving-time for diesel-car trips in europe.

That there are real-world emissions deviations from the lab tests are true of all euro6 diesels tested in Europe, barring only i or 2 from very expensive BMW (now joined by the emissions-upgraded fca diesels on the 2016 Alfa Giulietta, Giulia, maserati Levante etc.

This is very well-known, and an openly acknowledged fact. Esp since the testing-regime is skewed in many ways towards a preoccupation with fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions rather than NOx and SPM.

This has NOTHING to do with cheating. At the very worst, just very slight 'gaming' of the test regime, special-tuning-for-the-test-cycle, not cheating: since the 1.6 mjd's emissions system behaves the same whether it is in the lab or on road.

This is the latest of the numerous attempts by the German auto-industry-cum-trade-union-cum-government-and-media to try to relatavize VW's fraudulence by 'tarring with the same brush' all the other diesel engines/all the other European marques. They have humunguous advertizing and PR clout, esp in the UK press (notably AutoCar) where this story first got 'hawa'.
  3. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

VW is getting a lot of its own Das Auto shoved back-up its 'tailpipe': many, many billions of $ worth, above and beyond the as-of-now and already 16 to 20 billion$ bill in fines, legal fees, recalls, and consumer-compensation.

Of course, and this goes entirely without saying: India, the world's ONLY large diesel passenger car market outside of some european countries, where VW, Skoda and Audi have done little else but sell the 'cheater' i.e., dirty, diesel engine family, an engine-family no match for say fca's or say bmw's, 1.6 and 2.0 TDi, as it is, has

seen no meaningful action whatsoever against the VW group (including Audi). Exactly as i had predicted when ARAI and the Union Transport Minister mumbled a few 'pretend lay-down-the-law' lines when the scandal broke.

In any case the union government/transport-ministry is, as much or more than ever, in total-collusion with the car AND the psu and pvt petrol/diesel refining and distribution companies and associated 'mafia'-s, not to mention road/highway 'contractor' ones.

EVEN the declared BS6/Euro6 fuel quality and upgraded-engines deadline of around 2020 (if i remember right) WILL be breezily breached/deferred, unless there is 1 particular fuel-refining, private-sector export-centric i.e., already-ready with euro6 diesel/petrol, MAJOR that gets it done (in 'the disinterested public/national interest', of course!) Lobby against lobby. Let's see how the behind-the-scenes politics plays out.

Meanwhile, the auto companies have run rings around the public through their infinite PR might, not to mention the poor and beleagured Supreme and High Courts, on the topic of the diesel dirty emissions issue for cities. RATHER than accelerate the penalization or at least demerit-based stiff-taxation-deterrence of ALL diesels of ALL sizes in ANY passenger car or suv, they are, as usual focussed exclusively on 'commercial vehicles', since any financial costs on that front would get borne (unknowingly and in small amounts) by the end-consumers of those commercial-transport operators i.e., by hundres of millions of people. So: it is politically easy to pull-off, by 'fooling the car loving but air-quality victim-middle class', IF it is even attempted to be, which imo is ultra-doubtful from the union and state govts' sides of any party, maybe from the ngt or the courts'?

For eg: Delhi and also Gurgaon's world-beating filthy-air quality standards are just awaiting the end of the monsoon and the cooling-of temperatures for a return to the world's top-3 dirtiest. The traffic, congestion and esp road-lawlessness and traffic-movement-fragility/Jam-proneness scene is already and forever (near) #1 !

Sigh. (....breathes the toxic and diseased gurgaon air)