1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

VRS-Diesel or petrol? which is truly enthusiastic?

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by linealover, Nov 26, 2014.

1. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    Skoda Octavia vRS Preview
    Skoda recently launched the Octavia sedan for the Indian market and it has been doing pretty good numbers for the German-owned Czech automaker thanks to its extensive feature list and engine options. However, in the tradition of the Octavia/Laura for the Indian market, Skoda is expected to bring to the Indian market (next year) a high performance version of the D-Segment sedan called the Octavia vRS. The car was unveiled at the 2013 Goodwood Festival of Speed and finally launched at the 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show in September.

Skoda-Octavia-vRS-Right-Front-Three-Quater-22453.jpg
    Exterior

The Skoda Octavia vRS features the same overall design as the standard car but with much sportier overtones. It gets black headlights, sporty bumper with a mesh grille and a different design for the fog lamps. The Skoda moustache grille seems to flow into the front of the car and adds to the overall sporty appearance. On the sides, the Octavia vRS has a similar profile to the standard car but gets sportier alloy wheels and consequently bigger tyres. The rear profile includes dual quad-shaped exhausts and a small rear wing that has been fitted to the boot door.

Skoda-Octavia-vRS-left-rear-three-quarter-22454.jpg
    Interiors

The vRS gets all the features of the standard car in addition to sports-style bucket seats, a three-spoke steering wheel and ambient lighting. Dual-zone climate control and a touchscreen infotainment system also come as standard in the vRS. We also expect features like paddle shifters, traction control and ESP to be standard on this car.

Skoda-Octavia-vRS-Interior-22455.jpg
    Engine options

The vRS version for Europe is powered by two engine options; petrol and a diesel. The petrol motor is a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 220bhp power hitting 100kph in 6.8 seconds. The diesel engine is also a turbocharged 2.0-litre unit that develops 184bhp power and 380Nm torque aiding a 100kmph drag time in 8.1 seconds. The UK spec Octavia is also offered with the 1.2-litre TSI and seven-speed DSG box found in the Polo. It is likely that for the first time that such an engine option may be offered here too. Both these engines are sourced from VW, who use it to power the performance variants of the Jetta and the Golf. We also expect that Skoda has tuned the suspension and directed the handling to focus on the sportier side

. Skoda-Octavia-vRS-Gear-Lever-22456.jpg
    Price and when can we expect the car in India

The Skoda Octavia vRS is likely to be priced in the range of Rs 18 lakh to Rs 21 lakh and will be unveiled at the 2014 Indian Auto Expo. We can expect a launch in India a few months after the unveiling.

Skoda-Octavia-vRS-Tail-lamps-22457.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 26, 2014, Original Post Date: Nov 26, 2014 ---
    dear fiatians,

It has been a long time i was away from teamfiat,after a long wait from fiat to bring in 1.6 litre MJD left us all a bitter taste.
    some have already switch over to XUV 5oo,though i dont have vitamin M to aquire VRS.

after seeing "enthusiastic cars of 2014" first of all Define enthusiastic?
    is it which car reaches the ton qualifies for enthusiastic?

i have never driven a petrol car that extensively as my MJD.I can vouch not for 0 to 100 but for 100 to 0.Mjd decelerates so fast that even the cars with all four disc brakes will put into shame.in other words "sense of control" pervades at high speed.which is a lacking in free revving petrol cars.

i never bother about 0 to 100 (though bothers sometimes in city)generally at highway after toll,i give way to all enthusiast which comprises of swift,vernas,innovas.i wait for them to reach their comfortable holding velocity.after which just the linea wishpast them.
    especially at curves enthusiast fond of center pedal,whereas MJD fond of right pedal.

To me brake pedal is like a pickle,just touch don't grab.the fun in deceleration is in downshift option to play with,which is lacking in petrol cars.just before the curve downshift to 4 or 3 and accelerate at curve.the sheer torque of holding the wheels in desired manner is astonishing.accelerating at curve will send more torque to outer wheel than inner wheel.it is like torque vectoring.

though these things lacks in petrol cars.MJD will cannibalize even s10 and T-jet when comes to play above 120.though these petrol cars have 0 to 100 advantage.

Ramesh concurred the same view since he drives 180bhp nissan petrol,says 90bhp MJD is fun to drive than these nissan, period.

petrol vs diesel

1.0 to 100 advantage vs 100 to 0 advantage (not freerevving)
    2.free revving vs Torque monster
    3. NVH vs sense of control

unknown yelagiri bridge curve happen to break at curve,though MJD maintain the composture,yet trailing T-JET could't decelerate almost rear end.

downshifting in petrol cars ---no significant change

so fiatians pour in your thought,i may be wrong as well,yet these are my experience.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    ramjn, ThePunter and punto_emotion like this.
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    linealover likes this.
  3. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    abdul sir! how is life going?long time no see.
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Hi LL. We should catch up. Tell me when and I will come. Are you in city ?

Abdul
  5. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @linealover , Petrol all the way for me for enthusiastic driving. Redlining is not good for a diesel mill. If I am right, the huge back torque or the engine braking from the diesel mill is referred by you as the one which gives sense of control.

In a closed circuit racing before we enter corners( bikes ), we Brake, declutch/down shift, Blip and clutch in a very smooth sequence in a fraction of a second. The blipping is done ensure that we stay on two wheel by limiting the back torque. Within the limits, we use engine braking in certain scenarios.

In car, the petrol's are not only faster in straights, but they are better in holding higher RPMS in corners too. There are corners where you will shave off some milli seconds just by holding to higher RPM even though the engine is not producing any usable power in that RPM range. Its just to facilitate quicker upshift after apexing and to accelerate hard out of the corner. Unfortunately you can never experience this in any place other than a closed track.

On practical road scenario, downshifting gives more engine braking in diesel where as the petrol one needs braking. People get used to the driving styles of each vehicle. Other place where diesel shines is the torque. Mis timed gear shifts are more tolerated in a diesel due to high torque where as petrol you need to be perfect. Once needs to be ultra careful if the engine is tuned for a narrow power band.

But honestly, the MJD does have a petrolish character associated with it and it does narrow the petrol to diesel thingy. But I bet that if you drive a Fire and MJD back to back in a track with twistiness and taking it to its limits, you will takes sides with the Fire engine. I am not even considering the Tjet here.

So spirited riding is always done in petrol and torque riding in diesel. I may have offended many MJD owners here even though me being one too ;)
    prabhjot and linealover like this.
  6. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    @GP_Freak,well said,I think, out of experience you are talking.I have zero experience in track.

unless otherwise i experience with petrol engines i cannot say anything,if at all it will be falls under imagination.

perhaps, i have dragged with city,civic,and few petrol cars,they will come close in highway, yet they will back off,whenever situation

demands heavy speed shed or curves.again they will show their prowess in 20 to 120.which MJD fails.but the real game starts after 120

which they often tries couple of times and abandon,yelling fiats that "let them be on suicidal mission and mind our own business".

it is not that i am good driver, they are equally good or even better.but it is because of fiat MJD.

Beauty of MJD is free revving as well as offer engine breaking.one should imagine 1.6ltr mjd VGT 120 Bhp.it is a different ball game.

Rapid 1.6ltr passed MJD (ramesh's) just like a standstill who maxed out at 170ish.still ramesh want to catch up him in curve, perhaps

he never seen his tail light glowing even at curve.if this is the drama created by 1.6,just i am imagining about 2.0ltr 184bhp power and

380Nm torque at your diposal.

plus with diesel is, you car won't catch fire easily.

7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    OT:- There are lot more best enthusiast cars (so called?) available now. Datsun Go, Alto K10, Brio, Etios, and lot more. :D
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    nkrishnap and linealover like this.
  8. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    Non-enthusiastic car as per list 2014 goes

1. Linea MJd
    2. punto Mjd
    3. Avventura
    4.T-jet not consider due to rubbery gear shift (when considering strict enthusiastic car)

Enthusiastic car
    Datsun Go, Alto K10, Brio, Etios,eco-sport.

isuzu max D.

someone mentioned if this is the criteria then we will bring MATADOR van.

This 2014 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India can be better moved to official joke thread.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Coming back to the vRS, I don't have experience in track and I don't think I will buy a car for driving in a track. I always prefer a good highway car and believe 2.0 L TDI will be fun and addictive. Not that i am saying petrol won't be fun. Just that my choice would be Diesel.
  10. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Ramesh you have to drive one. The petrol motor is addictive. Throw in a remap and an exhaust job the car is super fun. 2.0 TSI with the manual gearbox will be super fun.
    ramjn likes this.