1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Vocal White: The Chameleon on FIRE

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 Fire' started by kaps, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Gmittal

Gmittal Amatore

My 2 cents.
    make sure to refill the fuel up to the brim, there is a possibility of oxidation in empty/half empty tank and it can cause rusting. If possible fill it with Antioxidant fuel.
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    I would generally wait & get the 2nd service after I come back in such a scenario. No specific reason. Just to get it serviced & enjoy driving rather than keep a freshly serviced car remaining idle for 40 days.
    A still better way - Oct is far off. Do 2-3 long drives & munch the miles to get it serviced before you go. :mrgreen:
    Disconnecting Battery is a MUST. Its even advised by Fiat in maual.
    Renewing insurance is also a must before expiry. You can give the payment to insurance company with instructions that insurance will be renewed from expiry date of previous term. DO NOT LET THE CAR REMAIN EVEN STANDING IDLE WITHOUT INSURANCE.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Better get the servicing done on or before the due date. Do not take any chance with the ASS guys.
    My previous vehicles Maruti Suzuki Omni/Versa used to be idle for a month or so without battery disconnection, after which it used to start at the first crank itself. However, it is preferable if somebody could start the engine and idle it for 5 minutes once in 15 days. In that case, battery disconnection is not necessary.
    You can pay your insurance premium in advance. The next policy will start from the expiry of the present one.
  4. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Thanks a lot for suggestions guys. I think I will go with the idea of getting servicing done prior to leaving. Like VP said, there is no point leaving the vehicle standing for a month after oil change, I guess I can offset this by going for servicing a month in advance. That way, car will be driven for a month after oil change, and I can think about some long drives then :lol:

About disconnecting battery, my doubt is regarding loss of ECU data. Is it likely to effect any settings/odo etc? In my Uno I had left the battery connected once and came back to find the battery drained.

Thanks for the heads up on insurance. I guess post dated cheque is a good idea.
  5. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Disconnecting Battery is a MUST. Its even advised by Fiat in maual.
    Renewing insurance is also a must before expiry. You can give the payment to insurance company with instructions that insurance will be renewed from expiry date of previous term. DO NOT LET THE CAR REMAIN EVEN STANDING IDLE WITHOUT INSURANCE.[/quote:ebw8wadj]

I would Second VP on this... even i would get the service done post my return cos the car would be perfect after a service than getting it serviced first and leaving it idle for 40days..
  6. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Yes Andy, this option is preferable, but I am not sure the service center will agree to postpone the schedule by more than a month.
  7. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Updated the Blue&Me to ver 5.5. Immediate difference: 5.4.1.1 had a bug about "resume" function, meaning on every start, media player used to go to the first song in the library. This is fixed. Why I did it? Well, I believe, if an update has been released by the manufacturer, there must be some bugs we are not aware of.

Found these spare comparison lists for Linea. Hope they are useful.

Attached Files:

8. Gmittal

Gmittal Amatore

I got my first service done at 3600 Kms, when I asked my SA is it ok if I exceed the Kms from the prescribed Kms, She said we can adjust the extra Kms but if you exceed the no of days, it would be a problem.
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    I did my 2nd service at 16,700 kms (well before 1 year). Neither I asked them about it nor they asked :mrgreen: I had to cancel my 15,000 kms service appt because as soon as 15,000 kms were reached, a Goa trip came up suddenly ::D
  10. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Went for Monsoon check camp yesterday. There was a long line up of cars. I guess it was due to short let up in heavy rains lashing Kerala. Normal top up and checking was done. I reported judder in one wiper and it was replaced under warranty. No washing was done though. The car had accumulated lot of tar deposits, thanks to road-holed pots in kochi. Wanted to get rid of those as shampooing at home was not working. Next to the dealership, there is a car was facility. Went there for car wash.

During the chatting with wash owner, came to know he was also offering under-body protection. Since the car was on ramps, I showed him that protection was already present, and he in turn showed me un-protected areas, close to silencer and shock absorbers. Some inner disc of the rear wheels was completely rusted (was cast iron though and should be considered a normal thing). He was offering under-body protection at 3K. 3M for 3K, I liked the sound of it and gave him go ahead for treatment. I was anxious to see the process so stayed at the ramp while work was going on.

Tar deposits were removed with some kind of solution, which just dissolved them. Wash with jet, then shampoo and then wash with water jet. Then they allowed the car to dry in sun and with some high pressure air. After this, the car was put on ramp again and under-body spray was started. The 'dibba' they used was 3M Body Shutz (used three such dibbas). The whole under-body including wheel arches and muffler assembly close to fuel tank, inside the bumpers etc. were sprayed. The solution is dark grey in color and dries quickly. The wheel arches, which were white earlier are black now :devilface After the spraying, I inspected the bottom and it looked just like here http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/wps/port ... Corrosion/ (the first photo, though there was no rust in my case). The product comes with 3yrs warranty.

During the spraying, some spray had come into inner side of alloys and on side skirts. This was removed with solution used for tar removal and then the whole process of shampooing and water jet. The whole process took two hours. Maybe it was the placebo effect, but I did feel about 10% reduction in road noise.

Edit: Got the wind shield fluid (some shampoo to be mixed in water) from dealership for free. ::O