1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Vocal White: The Chameleon on FIRE

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 Fire' started by kaps, Jul 4, 2010.

1. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    i have heard quite a lot of stories about lineas and puntos breaking down just because of the clutch failure. what i do not understand is even after fiat has replaced CSC in our cars why such things happen?? this should not be taken casually as it is a known problem and it still persists. somehow i am very afraid of this happening to my car. this problem makes our car unreliable. it can happen to anyone, anywhere. even after replacing faulty parts if fiat cant get it right its a shame. please take up this issue to fiat.
    by the way did you find anything strange or different in the clutch before it gave away??
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Kapil,

Nothing to check except for top up of brake fluid which TASC will do as a process of replacement of CSC. Yeah, the new CSC is with Steel/ Aluminium body. When I complained about hard clutch, Service Manager told me that they'll change CSC. I said, its changed twice before in my car. He said, this is new latest CSC with Steel/ Aluminium body. Got it changed.

And yes, I agree. After identifying an issue, the same issue should not be repetitive. Particularly this CSC issue is a bit risky for it makes car totally immovable whichever place it is. Hope this new steel CSC to do the trick.
  3. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    As I understand today, the problem is due to the fact that the push rod of CSC is plastic and can give way under pressure. This is a serious issue and Fiat ought to have done enough brain storming on design of such a critical part. I would say it is once again the Fiat QC team at fault who have cleared a plastic part probably without ascertaining its breaking strength.

Amit, I was told by the SA that the push rod of the replaced CSC was plastic and had given way under pressure. The new design has a metal push rod but the body is still plastic. Since the piston rod is the one bearing the brunt of hydraulic pressure, it should have been designed after proper testing and after exposing it to max pressure exerted by the clutch assembly. Obviously this has not been done and the team responsible for this has failed miserably by not anticipating this kind of failure.

I feel this problem can be nailed to procuring parts from Tata nominated vendors. I have never heard or read of CSC issue in any other country where Punto/Linea runs. So this problem has to be due to homologation.
  4. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    The South Indian Pilgrimage

This was pending for a long time. My parents were visiting me and no better time to go for a pilgrimage ::O So the trip was planned and executed. Trip: Kochi-Kanyakumari-Rameshwaram-Madurai-Kochi.

Started on 19 Mar at 0600 and was in Kanyakumari at 1300. Was it not for the crowded and unruly NH47, this journey time could have been reduced drastically. Stayed at hotel New Cape at Kanyakumari. One word: avoidable. I had booked through a travel service and went by the user reviews, this one had a high rating but for me it was not a good hotel. After all the site seeing and sunrise/sunset watching, next day 20 Mar set out for Rameshwaram. Started at 1100 hrs.

I was not very sure about the route to be taken. Started on NH7. This highway has impressed me anytime I have used it. Fantastic highway, the way it ought to be. At Tirunelveli, cut east to Tuticorin and from Tuticorin it is a straight run to Ramnathpuram or Ramnad which is one hour from Rameshwaram. Was there at 1630, all the time driving a speed of 80kmph, a testimony to fantastic road. Checked in Hotel Royal Park. Efficient and fantastic hotel. Nicely located too with an above average restaurant. The amount of mythological history associated with Rameshwaram is just mind boggling. A must see for any body trying to understand the Hindu mythology. Word of caution against pujaris who will try to con you into paying heftily for conducting puja. Bargain and bargain hard before you commit into anything. It is better to have a pujari though sue to the complexities involved in the temple procedures. Our stay at Rameshwaram was for two nights and three days. Next stop Madurai. Started at 1030 on 22 Mar from Rameshwaram and was in Madurai at 1230. A good road again with minimal traffic.

Checked in at hotel Chentoor in Madurai. A strategically located hotel from the Meenaxi temple complex. Service is 3/5 at this place though. They have a basement parking with a steep down at the entrance to parking. Had my heart in my mouth when the belly of my Linea scrapped the entrance. Stupid design (of the entrance, not Linea :cool: ). The temple was closed that day due to marriage ceremony of Kartikeya (son of Lord Shiv and Uma - reigning deity of Meenaxi temple). Went for darshan on 23 Mar morning and were ready to move out by 1200 hrs. Started back on NH49. The road is great up to Bodi. Google suggested to go to Kochi via Kumily. I decided to go via Munnar and it was a mistake. The portion of NH49 that lies in TN is fantastic. As soon as you enter Kerala, you are reminded that you are a bourgeois and the roads are not meant for luxury cars. From Poopara, I took a wrong turn (no road signs anywhere) and went via Rajakad to join NH49 at Adimali. Some portion of the road was only huge boulders and had a tough time with bottom scraping a few times. The lack of signage on a NH again played at Muvattupuzha and I went north towards Alwaye rather than going straight to Kochi. The detours cost me extra 25km and 45 minutes of time.

All is well that ends well. Next day, took the car for a wash and asked them hoist the car on washing platform. Checked the bottom. The underbody rust protection had scraped off from two places (adjacent to eachother, about three feet behind the front tyre). Was relieved to see no damage at all. Asked for a re-do of 3M underbody coating at the affected area. In the bargain, got the rear wheel drum and the front brake caliper painted bright red. IMO, it lends a new character to the chameleon.

Vital stats: Total fuel used: 67 litres. Distance covered : 1125 km. Kitna Deti Hai: 16.8kmpl. Fatigue: Zero. I am very confident that had it not been for my detours and the stupid NH47, the FE would have been in excess of 18kmpl. Two thumbs up to Linea :clapping .
  5. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Pune
    Nice... 16.8 is a great mileage for the trip :)
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Re: The South Indian Pilgrimage

Nice to hear excellent FE, Kapil. :up You could have avoided these detours if you had taken a GPS navigator with the latest maps with you. I find my MapMyIndia Lx130 navigator highly useful.
  7. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    hey kapil excellent FE. though my mid has shown better figures when i drive sedately, but never has she delivered so much on a regular trips. were you driving with a light foot or your car returns better FE. and some pics of the red calipers pls
  8. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Yes sid. Coming from a petrol pushing a heavy sedan, this FE is really good. On trips where traffic wasn't a problem, I got trip FE of 18.2 and 18.4 respectively. :dancing

I was using google maps on my touch diamond 2 successfully. The phone lost signal at a crucial time as there was no tower. Guidance provided by google maps was pretty accurate after signal was regained and I was able to follow the route to main NH. Since my long trips are not very frequent, investing in a navigator is not an option as of now for me.

Karan I was maintaining a steady speed of 90kmph at times reducing to 80. I never allowed myself to cross this speed. The trick lies in watching the instant consumption. After a specific RPM has been achieved, keeping the engine in that RPM keeps pushing the car at a very decent instant consumption rate. I was surprised to see IC of 23.4 kmpl for short stretches. This is true for all Lineas. Will post the photos shortly.
  9. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Impressive FE mate. I have not been FE conscious since I installed the ecodrive, ironically.

I have to pull up my socks and try to beat these FE figures now :p

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  10. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    This is how the front and rear wheels look after the paint job. IMHO, it lends a different character to the car.

That is ironical indeed. If one is not in a hurry, the car can be allowed to build rpm and then enjoy a great FE.

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg